E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

question regarding ipod kit install

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, i've been wanting to install an ipod kit in my car for a while. after some research it seems like the denison gateway 500 is the kit of choice. i found a local shop (through the denison website) and they quoted me a price of $550 + tax for the install. some questions:

1- does this seem like a fair deal?
2- anybody used underground auto styling in sarasota, FL?
3- he told me that i would have an ipod adapter, aux input, and usb. however he told me he cant guarantee that i would get the text on the screen... i'll be using my iphone 4, any experience with that phone with this kit?
4- i didnt realize it also has USB, so i may end up just using that, saving me the headache of having to take my phone in and out of the glovebox.. any experience with that? just drag the music to a memory stick and it shows up in the idrive?

thanks for any feedback
omar
Old 09-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Dont think you will get text on an '04... I went with the Aux Input as a result. Also, I think (and you may want to check first) that you will HAVE to have the dealer update the cars computer... It seems every additional piece of equipment requires an idrive update - for a simple aux install BMW had my car for 3 days. I was glad they gave me a loaner.
Jay
Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

would like to know about the USB as well
Old 09-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i 6mt, Titanium Silver, Sport Package, Winter Package

Your need the navigation in order to get the text on you car from the dension to be displayed. However,it will still play if you have the CD changer in your car just with out the text. It will just display CD1 track 01 and so on. If you do not have the CD Changer you will need to go to the stealer to have you car programmed for the CD Changer.

In my situation. I have the CD Changer but no navi. I was weighing the different options and the installation of AUX retrofit kit would require me to go to the dealer for a reprogram. The dealer quoted me $350 for install and programing of the AUX retrofit.
I found the desion online for $430 shipped and since I have the CDC Its direct plug and play. I decided to go with the desion because it has AUX input, Ipod hook-up that charges, and USB. The AUX retrofit was cheaper but its only AUX.

In your case it depends on if you have the CD Changer or not and how much you want to spend.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Bimmerchop69
Your need the navigation in order to get the text on you car from the dension to be displayed. However,it will still play if you have the CD changer in your car just with out the text. It will just display CD1 track 01 and so on. If you do not have the CD Changer you will need to go to the stealer to have you car programmed for the CD Changer.

In my situation. I have the CD Changer but no navi. I was weighing the different options and the installation of AUX retrofit kit would require me to go to the dealer for a reprogram. The dealer quoted me $350 for install and programing of the AUX retrofit.
I found the desion online for $430 shipped and since I have the CDC Its direct plug and play. I decided to go with the desion because it has AUX input, Ipod hook-up that charges, and USB. The AUX retrofit was cheaper but its only AUX.

In your case it depends on if you have the CD Changer or not and how much you want to spend.

thanks. ya i have the cd changer.. so are you saying it's as simple as removing the cd changer and plugging in the denison?? lol i'm not handy but i'm sure i can figure that out.. ya i dont have navi, so are you saying i wont see the titles of the songs?? would i be able to change tracks from the steering wheel/idrive? also, will i end a re-programming after install? thanks

omar
Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Members

Yes, You can keep the CDC if you want. Check out this thread:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/487...n-gateway-500/

BTW. the guy on this thread has navigation so dont get too excited. Ours will be the same just without song titles etc.

You will be able to control the songs and change music just like you would the CD Changer. You will not need reprogramming if you have the CD Changer.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Members

Use the search feature on the forum there is tons of information on this.