E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question re USB input/auxilary audio input ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E39 540iA Sport TiSilver/Bleack Leather NAV, PDC, DSP, Shades, CWP E60 550 6 Speed 2008 MY Euro Del (Thanksgiving 2007, Munich Germany)

Hello,

I am planning a ED in Nov and was wondering if I should pay for the above USB option.. its not much $$ but as the Auxulary audio input is standard could anyone comment on the additional features of the USB input...is it worth the extra $$

Thanks,
Roland

Car Spec as of today:

2008 BMW 550i, carbon black, black leather, manual transmission, sport package, navigation, premium sound, cold weather package, heated rear seats, sunshade, HD radio and anthracite headliner

(Any comments on options are much appreciated...)
Old 08-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

What is the difference between than the I-Pod option?

I suggest adding HUD and Comfort Access to your options list. Both are wonderful.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

The USB input permits direct control of an ipod through idrive and the steering wheel controls. The AUX in will allow only volume control.

The USB in will permit you to use a memory stick if you so wish and will permit control of tracks through idrive.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

USB also permits the use of a External HD full of mp3s.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Do you have an iPod? Do you have MP3 or WMA files?

If so, then you need the USB/iPod interface. If you're like me and don't have an iPod, you still need the USB/iPod interface!

As far as I'm concerned, it's an option that pretty much eliminates the need for discs, etc. You can just keep a couple big USB sticks full of music and just plug in and listen. If you're daring, you can go the external USB hard drive route but for now, unless you're a bit of a tech guy, you might not want to mess with that -- some more testing has to be done by some of us before I'd recommend that to you without reservation.

Bottom line, it's a great option and really worth it. Don't bother getting a CD changer -- get the USB!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Members

Get iT! I haven't regretted since i got it (althought it's sandard here).
I would also recommend HUD
Old 08-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Same here; I strongly recommend the 6FK USb option, it's definitely worth the extra cash! Now I can download podcasts and then listen to them in my car by using my USB stick going off to work. Excellent!

Also, If you opted for navigation I recommend the HUD. It's not about impressing your neighbour; it's much gentler to your eyes as you don't have to look down on the instrument and "re-focus" all the time. As I have a loaner right now without HUD I actually feel it in my eyes!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:12 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

I have the USB option and an 80 GB ipod in my car. I have not used the CD player more than once and that was with a CD-ROM full of MP3's when my wife nicked the ipod for a trip. The USB is absolutely great with an ipod. I just love to have my whole music collection in the car to choose from. And to be able to see artist and track names. And not to mention podcasts.

I have noticed to two problems with the ipod integration. You cannot scroll artist or songs going backwards from A directly to Z. You will have to scroll down all the way to Z. It takes time when you have many artists. And secondly, when I have selected an album or playlist, when I turn of the car it will remember which song to continue with when I get back into the car but it won't remeber which playlist or album, or at least won't show it on the screen.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by RolandKelly' post='458393' date='Aug 13 2007, 10:29 PM
Hello,

I am planning a ED in Nov and was wondering if I should pay for the above USB option.. its not much $$ but as the Auxulary audio input is standard could anyone comment on the additional features of the USB input...is it worth the extra $$

Thanks,
Roland

Car Spec as of today:

2008 BMW 550i, carbon black, black leather, manual transmission, sport package, navigation, premium sound, cold weather package, heated rear seats, sunshade, HD radio and anthracite headliner

(Any comments on options are much appreciated...)
The ipod usb port is my second favorite option, 1 st being blue tooth. My Ipod has 20 gigs of music which you can select by: artist, playlists, genre etc. . You will never use the cd player with a ipod attached. You can purchase a little ipod shuffle or usb mp3 player for less than $100.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:48 AM
Contributors

The other thing to add is that I've been told (others here may correct me) that the USB _cannot_ be retrofitted, it has to be installed by the factory. This might change (or may have already changed) but that's the info I was given. For the price of what is a relatively cheap option, you really shouldn't think twice - add it to the order !! Even if it is possible to retrofit it later, you can guarantee the cost would be massive due to parts that you'd need to replace, cables that you'd need to run, software to be recoded, etc etc...

Quick Reply: Question re USB input/auxilary audio input ?