E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question on iPod Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

I bought last week from a member on here the OEM iPod Kit and I'm trying to install it today. When I opened the glove box I found the X18180 connector and the fiber optics cable. According to the attached document on page 6 the X18180 connector should have the "H" connector in it so I can to feed the fiber optics cable into it but I don't see the "H" connector. My car does not have a CD Changer but has the SA694 pre-wiring.

Questions:

1. Am I doing this right?
2. Where should this "H" connector be?
3. Is it suppose to be with the OEM Kit or in the car?

Please see how the connector looks presently in my car. I would really appreciate if someone has some pictures to lead me through this installation. I'm attaching the procedure document and couple of pictures of how things look in my car.

P.S. My car was upgraded to the latest firmware about a month ago, does that mean I still have to visit the dealer to activate? Or by having the latest firmware it's already activated?
Attached Thumbnails Question on iPod Retrofit-img00013-20100620-1136.jpg   Question on iPod Retrofit-img00015-20100620-1137.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
iPOD Reto Fit.pdf (234.2 KB, 294 views)
Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

The part "H" should come w/ the kit (if new from the dealer as listed in pg #4 of the pdf along w/ other parts listed there) otherwise you have to get it separately... it is basically a break out connector ... the fiber cable is in a close loop from the factory via the bridge (small black box) as on the 2nd pic (the green fiber cable) what needs to be done is pry open that bridge and you get 2 pieces of fiber (in & out) and transfer into part "H" (proper in/out required when moving them) and the whole part "H" + the now-split fiber cable inserted to it goes to the big power plug (the one on pic #1 or the bigger plastic plug on 2nd pic). and the whole thing plug into the iPod module.

Yes, you'll need to go to the dealer to have it enable so it'll show in your iDrive as CD#1 CD#2 ... CD#6 in the menu along w/ FM, AM etc.

Originally Posted by Moopai
I bought last week from a member on here the OEM iPod Kit and I'm trying to install it today. When I opened the glove box I found the X18180 connector and the fiber optics cable. According to the attached document on page 6 the X18180 connector should have the "H" connector in it so I can to feed the fiber optics cable into it but I don't see the "H" connector. My car does not have a CD Changer but has the SA694 pre-wiring.

Questions:

Please see how the connector looks presently in my car. I would really appreciate if someone has some pictures to lead me through this installation. I'm attaching the procedure document and couple of pictures of how things look in my car.

P.S. My car was upgraded to the latest firmware about a month ago, does that mean I still have to visit the dealer to activate? Or by having the latest firmware it's already activated?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Yes blasti is correct, my mystake I assumed the fibre cable would be
assembled but it's not, also he is correct about the programming as well
, you need to have it activated as you never had a cd changer in the first place.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated...

The arrow on page 6 diagram 1 points at both ends of the green cable as number 1 optic. Where's the number 2? I'm little confused!

Would the dealer sell the "H" connector separately?

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
The part "H" should come w/ the kit (if new from the dealer as listed in pg #4 of the pdf along w/ other parts listed there) otherwise you have to get it separately... it is basically a break out connector ... the fiber cable is in a close loop from the factory via the bridge (small black box) as on the 2nd pic (the green fiber cable) what needs to be done is pry open that bridge and you get 2 pieces of fiber (in & out) and transfer into part "H" (proper in/out required when moving them) and the whole part "H" + the now-split fiber cable inserted to it goes to the big power plug (the one on pic #1 or the bigger plastic plug on 2nd pic). and the whole thing plug into the iPod module.

Yes, you'll need to go to the dealer to have it enable so it'll show in your iDrive as CD#1 CD#2 ... CD#6 in the menu along w/ FM, AM etc.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

Quite possable, unfortunatly I can't get you the part no as my computer
as died.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

You mean section #6 pg #9? If it is the #2 in that diagram is a black square plastic block in you pic #2 above (by you left middle finger). It is basically a holder that put both ends of the fiber together ... it makes pic on diagram #2 wire 1+2 together.

I think part "H" p/n is 61138387214 (piece #11 in the link below) and just for your ref the current small black plastic block you have is piece #4.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...78&hg=61&fg=15

The arrow on page 6 diagram 1 points at both ends of the green cable as number 1 optic. Where's the number 2? I'm little confused!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

Thanks a lot bud! I will visit the deal on Monday to see if I can get the "H" connector. Have a nice weekend.

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
You mean section #6 pg #9? If it is the #2 in that diagram is a black square plastic block in you pic #2 above (by you left middle finger). It is basically a holder that put both ends of the fiber together ... it makes pic on diagram #2 wire 1+2 together.

I think part "H" p/n is 61138387214 (piece #11 in the link below) and just for your ref the current small black plastic block you have is piece #4.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...78&hg=61&fg=15
Old 06-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

You need part number 61138387214. It should cost more than a couple of US$. Buy yourself two in case something happens (ask me how I know).

Remove the small blue piece that is used to hold the fibers in place. The part has arrows on it. Plug the fiber with the red light emitting from the end into the "in" arrow, and the other fiber into the "out" arrow. You'll feel and hear a click when the fiber cable is installed properly. Install the blue plastic piece. The fiber assembly then fits into the other plastic fitting that contains the power leads, as seen on the first photo. The "envelope" fits only one way. Plug it all into the iPod kit and you're ready for programming.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

Thanks so much for everyone's help. You guys on this forum are great! Happy Father's Day for those who are fathers....

Originally Posted by txag_530i
You need part number 61138387214. It should cost more than a couple of US$. Buy yourself two in case something happens (ask me how I know).

Remove the small blue piece that is used to hold the fibers in place. The part has arrows on it. Plug the fiber with the red light emitting from the end into the "in" arrow, and the other fiber into the "out" arrow. You'll feel and hear a click when the fiber cable is installed properly. Install the blue plastic piece. The fiber assembly then fits into the other plastic fitting that contains the power leads, as seen on the first photo. The "envelope" fits only one way. Plug it all into the iPod kit and you're ready for programming.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

Question:

I installed the iPOD Kit this evening, when I plug my iPOD Touch I don't see the BMW logo on the iPOD and I get the following message on the iPOD "device cannot charge". I know the dealer has to activate it in the firmware but shouldn't I at least get the BMW logo and show the device is charging? Thanks

Questions:

Quick Reply: Question on iPod Retrofit