E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A question for E60 drivers

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Yes I would.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1026872' date='Oct 7 2009, 11:51 AM
The Veyron isn't that rare around here. I work across the street from Kingston (the company that makes memory for computers) and the CEO has a Veyron - he let's employees take the car for Starbucks runs Needless to say I REALLY want to work there

We can compare the 0-60 times of cars over and over again, I don;t race stoplight to stoplight - it's pointless to me ( again, any fool can go fast straight, turns show real driving skill). The AMG cars will be better in a drag race, they have far more torque than the M, BMW's philosophy has never been to win drag races (big reason why they make no cars like the Camaro). BMW's are meant to driver's cars, where handling is king, with that you get better braking; even weight distribution; bearing meant for long fast runs; better suspensions - all at the cost of 1/4 mile time.
Didn't mean for you specifically- I'm saying in general...

Case in point: People buy more F-150's than they do Silverado?s and Rams, yet the Silverado and Ram can out-run an F-150 5 times a week, and twice on weekends. To some, straight-line performance matters, others value other things (ride comfort, noise control, tow capacity, etc...).

There are few road courses (that I know of) where people (the general public) routinely tests their driving skill against another person. If there was such a place, you can bet the Ricer's would probably dominate that circuit with their modified Civic's, STi's, Evo's. Ask an STi guy and he'll tell you nothing can out turn his AWD Sti.

Although I agree with you, that turning skill really shows who the best driver/car is overall, I still say when it comes to "who's got the fastest/quickest car" most people either put up or shut up on a long stretch of straight road, with no cops around. Straight lines, and if you must turn, they better be all left's! LOL-. It takes luck and cajones to do triple digits in a straight line, on American roads. Luck to find a road like that with no cops or traffic, and the cajones to go full blast down it to find out for sure.

Straight line speed is important since that's the way 99.99% of drivers will be driving. That's why F1 never really caught on in the US. Most American's want to see flat out speed- not a slow turning race with the occasional sprint. They'd rather see Jeff Gordon in a stock car, than Michael Schumacher in a Ferrari...

As for the Veyron- tell me the name of that company so I can submit my resume' too. If driving the Veyron is a perk, I may even pay to relo myself out there.

I live in Big D, and we have all kinds of rich folks here... Not just the wealthy business people (Older people with money), but four pro sport franchises as well (Cowboys, Mavericks, Rangers, Stars, etc..) translation- young people with lots of money and likely to spend a mil on a car). I've seen a ton of Lambo's, Ferrari's, Rolls Royce?s, Bentleys, Maseratti's, an Enzo, and one or two McLaren SLR's- but, I have yet to see a Veyron in person... Not even at the Dallas Auto Show. I know LA is crawling with millionaires too, not to mention celebrities and celeb wannabe's with money (in addition to the athletes and business moguls) so I don't doubt the chances of seeing a Veyron out there increase exponentially. That's probably the only car that stands out in SoCal.

I have a friend who was a screen writer out there. He told me he was getting tired of seeing SLR's in L.A.. No doubt there are some deeeeeep pockets out that way.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='1026936' date='Oct 7 2009, 01:29 PM
Yes I would.
+1
Old 10-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I'd love to have an E61, in fact I'd probably have been happy to sell a kidney to raise the purchase price had BMW saw fit to bring the M5 Wagon over to the US...

That ACS E61 looks great, but as Flyingpuck said I'd also lose the graphics from the side. Other than that, it's absolutely tremendous.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Silver BMW 525i, loaded w/o Nav 2007 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, loaded w/o Nav

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1027168' date='Oct 7 2009, 05:38 PM
I'd love to have an E61, in fact I'd probably have been happy to sell a kidney to raise the purchase price had BMW saw fit to bring the M5 Wagon over to the US...

That ACS E61 looks great, but as Flyingpuck said I'd also lose the graphics from the side. Other than that, it's absolutely tremendous.
Oh absolutely... without a doubt those decals would have to go...

I also prefer wheels with a lip, so I'd swap out the wheels. Other than that, all I'd do to that baby is tint the windows...
Old 10-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

No, I wouldn't, even with all that power. It's very nice, though.