E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question about RDS Traffic info

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ranted before in the past how if I'm driving around within 20 miles of my house, then I don't want national radio stations interrupting my CD with traffic info about jams, delays, crashes, roadworks etc that are hundred of miles away from me. It makes no sense. So I've always wondered whether you could somehow make our radios toggle between receiving only local TP when you're driving local to your home, and adding national TP also when you're driving long distance.

Recently (last month or two) my Radio has unbelievably started working like this, except it's the wrong way around. I'm only receiving traffic data from national stations and none from my local ones. I know they're still sending the signal as I've seen them interrupt CDs in other people's cars (it happened today in the wife's Golf). I also know that I'm getting the local station's signal quality very well as I switch to FM and they're there and blasting.

Am I imagining this? I wouldn't mind if it had got stuck in a local-only mode, but a national-only mode is no use to me.

Personally I'd like them to allow us to turn "TP" on/off per radio station. That way we'd only ever get interrupted by a station once.

Slightly ironically I'm not even interested in the traffic-ness of the announcements, there are barely ever any jams around here. It's the fact that at the end of the traffic they announce where the speed cameras are located.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

sorry to stray off-topic, but you can receive traffic alerts if you have nav? i must be dumb, i never knew this. all i have ever seen is traffic notices if you are in-route only. details on how to do this, please...
Old 09-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tuffluck
sorry to stray off-topic, but you can receive traffic alerts if you have nav? i must be dumb, i never knew this. all i have ever seen is traffic notices if you are in-route only. details on how to do this, please...
Depends where you are - I don't see that in your details over there on the left. If you're in the U.S., I don't know if they use RDS/TP over there. The traffic announcements are nothing at all to do with the Nav, it's a service offered by the FM radio stations. They transmit a digital signal along with the audio and car radios listening for that signal will interrupt your CD/MP3/Tape and switch to radio until the end signal.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:00 AM
Contributors

If anyone else ever cares about it (unlikely it seems) I found out the answer. In the settings menu you can choose your TP and TMC senders. I just unselected "Auto" (which will TP-interrupt you with any radio sender) and selected the local radio station I wanted to get interruptions from. If I'm driving long distance, I'd change that to a national station instead. I still think it's a shame you can't switch between "local stations only" and "national stations only" but being able to choose one specific station gets me half the functionality I want at least.