E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question about over inflation tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

Well, I will try to explain easy as possible and I need an answer from pro people who is really knowing there stuff.

After installation new rear tires in the tire shop, I drove like 300 feet , then decided stop by gas station and check my front tires, but because I'm used to be aircraft tech, my sense was telling me check rear as well, just in case. So I did , and imagine how I was surprised, when on one tire (driver side) was showed 61 psi!!!
I know tech was looked on door label and saw 61 psi, but for spare tire, so he did 61 psi!!!
Ok, assumed they did couple miles test drive after installation, plus me 300 feet, so Would it be enough to damage a tire permanent, because it's done over inflation on tire?

Thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by phlfly
Well, I will try to explain easy as possible and I need an answer from pro people who is really knowing there stuff.

After installation new rear tires in the tire shop, I drove like 300 feet , then decided stop by gas station and check my front tires, but because I'm used to be aircraft tech, my sense was telling me check rear as well, just in case. So I did , and imagine how I was surprised, when on one tire (driver side) was showed 61 psi!!!
I know tech was looked on door label and saw 61 psi, but for spare tire, so he did 61 psi!!!
Ok, assumed they did couple miles test drive after installation, plus me 300 feet, so Would it be enough to damage a tire permanent, because it's done over inflation on tire?

Thanks
Tell the tire shop OWNER what you found .. they need to know about careless employees. As for damage - not likely since you didn't drive 100s of miles on an overinflated tire. In the worse cases excessive tread wear could have happened or the tire could have succumbed to failure from a minor impact.

Always a good practice to "check the tech" !! Isn't that why pilots do a walk-around before getting into the seat
Old 10-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' BMW 550i

I told, they called me back couple hours later with offer for life tire balance. Well good offer, but I'm going think twice before I do balance there. It can happen with anybody, but Tire Shop?
Yea, we have some people in United Air, that should never worked near airplane and car as well. It's good thing airplanes is almost bullet proof in our days.