E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question about the electronic throttle control system

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Are our gas pedals' electronic throttle control systems rigged with an actual wire or are they wireless?
Old 02-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Wait actual wire as ole' fashion way wire or you mean actual electronic wire?
I pretty sure it's not wireless ... I wouldn't trust it if it is ... I think we are using drive by wire concept
I remember there was a plug into the throttle body when I swapped out mine.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know...there is no direct link between the gas pedal and the throttle body....the impulse given by the gas pedal is electronically sent to the ECU, which send the information to an actuator which manipulates a cable leading to the throttle body... I think that's how it goes...
Old 02-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

I mean is there an actual electronic connection or is it done wirelessly. I just saw on TV that Toyota may be using throttle by wireless and I was wondering if BMW does the same thing. I used to work with wireless, and let me tell you, if that's the case, I have no trust in the technology whatsoever. :thumbsdown:
Old 02-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
I mean is there an actual electronic connection or is it done wirelessly. I just saw on TV that Toyota may be using throttle by wireless and I was wondering if BMW does the same thing. I used to work with wireless, and let me tell you, if that's the case, I have no trust in the technology whatsoever. :thumbsdown:
I really doubt that....wireless connections are WAY to unreliable...
Old 02-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Contributors

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r237...-Throttle-Work
Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Krozi
As far as I know...there is no direct link between the gas pedal and the throttle body....the impulse given by the gas pedal is electronically sent to the ECU, which send the information to an actuator which manipulates a cable leading to the throttle body... I think that's how it goes...
Correct. The accelerator pedal module has hall sensors that determine the pedal position and use a voltage divider to send this voltage value to the DME. The DME then uses a 0-5 volt signal to control the electric throttle valve.

I just saw on TV that Toyota may be using throttle by wireless and I was wondering if BMW does the same thing.
What are you doing watching FOX News? It's all physical wires. No wireless anything. The only thing wireless is the hands free bluetooth phone connectivity.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Dont know about our car but the Audi are same as toyota
Old 02-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

well old throttles used cables to open the throttle body on the engine. now its electrically. the pedal is a variable switch, and the motor has a varibale motor to open the throttle blade. its done through wires.

maybe the term wireless got thrown around since the throttles dont used actual cables anymore.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Contributors

Thanks, Krozi. That explained it very well.

Originally Posted by turboawd
well old throttles used cables to open the throttle body on the engine. now its electrically. the pedal is a variable switch, and the motor has a varibale motor to open the throttle blade. its done through wires.

maybe the term wireless got thrown around since the throttles dont used actual cables anymore.
I think you're right, maybe a clueless reporter wanted to sound impressive. I've googled this subject a lot since my question and the closer I can get to an answer is this patent disclosure:

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/57...scription.html

Quick Reply: Question about the electronic throttle control system