E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

question about 520d ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if someone could give some info on the 520d?

Currently I run a Jaguar s type 2.7d SE which I happen to like very much BUT it's a company car and carries a heavy benefits tax burden.

For that reason I'm considering changing it for the 520d either SE or M Sport because these are both much more tax friendly due emissions etc.

I've had a test drive in the SE (but not the MSport) and although the engine is noticeably less quiet and a four cyl as opposed to a 6 cyl in the Jag,it's still seems like an excellent ride and performance.

My questions are..would the Sport be a much harder ride than the SE ?I ask this because there seems to be a lot of Sports with low mileage on the market as though people may not have got used to the ride?

Also,if I get the SE,I'd want to spruce it up a bit by upgrading the alloys to perhaps 18in ones..would this affect the ride significantly?

Finally,what's the best colour/alloy combination in most peoples'opinion for the 520? I rather fancy the Monaco blue met with 124 or 247 style alloys ..or perhaps the Titanium Silver.. in either case with Dakota lether int in anthracite. How are these two colours generally considered by you BMW owners?

Thanks for any help and opinions.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Members

anybody?
Old 04-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Members

Ride on the Sport version should be fine, the reason there are more sports on the market is that most are specced that way from new so don't worry, I would go for the Sport version.

Out of those colours I would take Monaca Blue, for too many silver cars about these days and I think the e60 looks better in dark colours.

18's would be fine, I would go for the 124's of your options but 19" 172's would be my choice. If you find the ride is not to your liking then you can just swap the RFT's for non-RFT's.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

I recently traded in my 2006 520d M sport with 19" 172 alloys for a new LCI 520d SE Touring with 17" wheels. The old M Sport was Titanium Silver with black leather. The 19" wheels where not run flat so the ride was pretty good, only really bad surfaces at low speed spoilt the cars ride although high winds seem to upset the stability a little.
The new 520d SE is definatley a nicer ride and handling seems pretty good but not quite as planted as the M sport (not really pushed it yet), I also went for Monaco Blue as Silver seems to be everywhere these days.
I would not be put off by an M Sport, have not driven one with 18" run flats but the 19" non run flats were fine. If you want good comfort with good handling go for the SE and add some extras, if you can afford it and are willing to sacrifice a little comfort go for the M sport with 19" 172's, they look brilliant and handle superbly. Also the new 177bhp 520d engine is more refined and smooth compared to the previous 163bhp unit
BTW. Monaco blue looks black when it's dull weather and blue in the sun, I think it suits the E60 / E61. Good luck
Old 04-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Members

Very interesting comments guys..many thanks.

I guess I'll have to try the Sport and see how it feels..is it the RFT that cause most of discomfort then? I believe you have to pay extra for the 'normal' tyres?

Perhaps the MSport with normal tyres might be the answer.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by red arrow' post='560402' date='Apr 12 2008, 08:48 PM
Very interesting comments guys..many thanks.

I guess I'll have to try the Sport and see how it feels..is it the RFT that cause most of discomfort then? I believe you have to pay extra for the 'normal' tyres?

Perhaps the MSport with normal tyres might be the answer.
You would have to pay extra for normal tyres, unless you get the 172's which come with them. And yes, it's the RFT's which cause most people to have issues with the ride.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport LCI 2008 Space Gray/Dark Blue Dakota

Just to support some of your replies - the 172M's with standard tyres (Conti sport contacts on mine) are excellent

Ride can be a bit jittery until tyres warm but thereafter very refined for a 19" wheel on firm sport suspension - more so on later LCI cars

The Run flats big problems is they transmit a lot of noise and when you hit a rut/bump in the road they do not "give" or "yield" to the external forces/pressure on them.
I had 18" runflats on my last e60 and destroyed a tyre in the first 10 days of ownership (carpet tack !) and found the car very noisy with tyres 2/3 worn. Don't miss them.

Good luck with your desicion ......Jag ride is very good.....

Ref: company Car status, BIK charges in UK are seriously out of order now - just check out how your figures work if you charged business mileage to your company.
0.40p / mile 1st 10,000miles and 0.25p over and above 10K
If you do a lot of miles you may well be better off.......and it might give you more choice on your overall budget.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by k44ent' post='560377' date='Apr 12 2008, 07:35 PM
Also the new 177bhp 520d engine is more refined and smooth compared to the previous 163bhp unit
I must admit I'm seriously impressed with the BMW 2 litre diesel... I have it in 143hp guise and it is so smooth (for a diesel...) and whips around the rev range. It doesn't care about being whipped up to 4k rpm or pulling like a train at 1.5k rpm... The 120d or 123d must be a right blast!

Although the 2 litre in the S-Max isn't bad there's quite a difference...

I reckon we'll see a 523d when the F10 turns up!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Members

I've had my 520d SE for 3 weeks now and the engine is noticeably quieter and more refined than the 163hp version I test drove.

When I was reading reviews of the E60 it was mentioned several times that the reviewer considered wider tyres upset the ride of the car, but that could be because of RFTs.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Members

Again,some interesting and informative comments..I appreciate them.

I never knew that the 172's came with non RFT so it might well be what I'll go for although I'll have to watch I dont run the bill up too much if I do change from the S type.

I intend to keep an eye open for a nearly new M sport and try a run in it to compare with the SE.In fact I've seen one in carbon black/beige leather with just over 5000 on the clock reg September 2007.Can anyone tell me when the new 177bhp engine came into use?

About the tax situation WEB,the idea of business mileage charge would normally be worth considering but although mine's a company car,tI do virtually no business mileage at all..99% of mile low mileage (less than 10k per year) is private mileage i.e. going to work and back and driving to Anfield every other week !

The Stype I have now is a really superb car and it will be a heartbreak to let it go (only 17k on the clock since new in 2006).Lovely quiet 2.7d engine as quiet as a petrol but I'm afraid needs must as I'm paying in this tax year around ?6500 per annum in BIK !

TBH I'm in trepidation of doing the change to BMW although I know they have a superb reputation so I really need to be convinced! You guys are helping!

Quick Reply: question about 520d ?