E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Puzzling HID scenario on an E61

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 05:59 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 325xiT 5sp
Default Puzzling HID scenario on an E61

Hello all,

I've got an interesting HID problem that doesn't seem to fit into any known scenario based on an obsessive amount of internet time. I'd appreciate some input.

E61 2007 (build date Nov 2006), D1S HID lamps.
- Circa 2013: replaced OEM bulbs with some 6000k Morimotos. Worked great, except for some R sided flicker upon startup
- cJune 2014: decided 6000k wasn't for me, and played around with 5000k DDMs. Worked great
- cJuly 2014: bucked up and bought a set of XB35 5000K Moris for piece of mind.

Now here's the weird part:
- Replaced both sides with new Moris. R side occasionally fails to start (maybe 50% of time). When this happens, it flickers, tries for a couple of times, then either catches or gives up. Swapped sides, and the problem followed the bulb. TRS replaced under warranty and I trashed the dead one. Note that during the testing phase, the "good" bulb (on the left) behaved the same way only once. I chalked this up to break in period.
- New bulb acted the same way on the R and got progressively more temperamental, and the L side continued to occasionally do the flicker dance. At this point I decided to tackle the problem. I bought a third set of 5000K moris to start fresh.
- The specifics of what I did here as follows. Please go to the bottom for a shorter summary. I swapped other bulbs in: old OEMs, 6000K moris, and DDMS ALWAYS start without fail. Swapped xenon control modules (ballast), and problem stayed primarily on the right side so I was hesitant to blame it on the ballast. Swapped a good-ish bulb on L to R, and it can suck. I can swap a goodish bulb from the R to the L, and then it too can suck consistently. It's like my car prefers a specific orientation of bulb + ballast + side with no pattern.
- No apparent difference with whether car is hot or cold, auto vs non-auto
- shitty side can require up to like 10 on/off cycles to catch
- I've read my battery could be weak. Looks like I'm floating around 13.8-14v when running so seems to be ok.
- Wire-wiggle test unremarkable
- can't be the igniter since it's integrated into the bulb

additl info: R sided angel eye typically flickers upon startup although from what I gather it is a self test, and not connected to the same HID wiring in any way.

As it stands now, I swapped in another new XB35 to the R side, and have two functioning headlights (for two days at least...)! When I swap R --> L, it flicker dances on the L, so I've just left it as is so I can drive around and see at night.

Summary: After swapping bulbs and ballast, the only thing consistent is that the R side is worse than the L, but there is no rhyme or reason. It's like my car prefers a certain combination of bulb + ballast + side in order to function somewhat! In addition, DDMS, old moris, and OEM bulb still work flawlessly regardless of wear I have them. Could I go back to my old bulbs? Sure. Is there a problem I want to fix? You betcha!

Culprits:
I can think of a few possibilities
1) Somewhat likely: for whatever flying unicorn reasons, the new XB moris just aren't compatable, based on trying two different new sets, and the old 6000Ks functioning fine. I'm now afraid to buy some CBIs, and not fix the problem!
2) Most likely: Both ballasts are on their ways out. It's possible that my older bulbs are well broken in, and are easier to start, and the inconsistency with different Moris is based on perhaps variable construction in the bulb. However, this cannot explain why the ballast would have consistent difficulty starting one brand new XB35 90% of the time, and the other 20% of the time.
3) "bad ballasts" are progressively nuking my new Moris. This wouldn't explain why my other bulbs always light
4) Wiring is kinda loose. I do not think this is the culprit. Doesn't explain why other bulbs work. Besides, it would have to be bilaterally loose wires.

In any case, I am scratching my head and a bit frustrated. I've ordered two new ballasts. I'm going to take a bulb that lights like 20% of the time and give it a fresh ballast. If it is still screwed, I have NO IDEA

Cheers

Scott

Last edited by wgn_drgn; 09-28-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

Could it be bad light sockets.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:28 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by RIHI
Could it be bad light sockets.
Could be, but unlikely. If you meant bad socket on the bulb side, it would suggest all of the XB35s I tried have a bad socket, or are for whatever reason incompatible. If you meant on the car side, it doesn't explain why six other bulbs work fine

Last edited by wgn_drgn; 09-29-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:40 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by wgn_drgn
Could be, but unlikely. If you meant bad socket on the bulb side, it would suggest all of the XB35s I tried have a bad socket, or are for whatever reason incompatible. If you meant on the car side, it doesn't explain why six other bulbs work fine
Yeah, you're right. I have DDM bulbs and I can revert back and forth from those two bulbs without any issue. I could not use the DDM HID conversion kit for the fog lights, no matter what version of BOW or error eliminator they gave me, but my Headlights have had no issue whatsoever. It might be the XB35s are not compatible to Ballast.

I truly hope you get to figure it out.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:28 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by RIHI
Yeah, you're right. I have DDM bulbs and I can revert back and forth from those two bulbs without any issue. I could not use the DDM HID conversion kit for the fog lights, no matter what version of BOW or error eliminator they gave me, but my Headlights have had no issue whatsoever. It might be the XB35s are not compatible to Ballast.

I truly hope you get to figure it out.
Update: I received my two new Hellas in the mail and tried it out. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to make any difference whatsoever! In fact, the longer I played with the lighting, the more frequently the LEFT side (previously somewhat healthier) would cop out.

I went back to my original 6000K Moris, and no issues. Now I have four like-new 5000K Morimotos lying around collecting dust. The absolute last thing I will try is a new, non-Morimoto bulb. If that works, I will be comfortable saying my system just isn't compatible.