E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Purchasing a 5-series, Auto or Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Too funny, the broccoli vs beach thing... My granddad told me basically the same story, he was a died-in-the-wool buggy guy, and people kept talking about the Model T... He liked broccoli too, but he really didn't think of it as an alternative to popping his horse on the butt with the whip.

As I say, the jury's gonna be out for me for a bit, but I'm optimistic the SAT will be fine.

Cal
Old 02-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='531902' date='Feb 15 2008, 05:48 PM
Too funny, the broccoli vs beach thing... My granddad told me basically the same story, he was a died-in-the-wool buggy guy, and people kept talking about the Model T... He liked broccoli too, but he really didn't think of it as an alternative to popping his horse on the butt with the whip.
Good analogy.

Reminds me of a friend who was a real driving enthusiast. Big beautiful car . . . powerful engine. He'd hop in, pop the gear level into "D", set the cruise control, lean back with his right arm draped over the bench seat, drive real fast. The chicks really dug it, man . . .

. . . um, come to think of it, maybe not so good an analogy . . .
Old 02-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ProBum4Life177' post='531820' date='Feb 15 2008, 12:48 PM
Now i'm debating if I should get this one with AT or look for another with Manual Transmission. What do you guys think?
I've owned and been driving manual for 35 years. Refused to even consider auto trans. But... 35 years of driving in Washington DC / NoVa traffic have finally made me cry "Uncle". On a recent drive around the beltway in rush hour I counted (just for the hell of it) over 500 separate depressions of the clutch pedal during stop/go, shift, coast... My left knee was so tired when I got home I said its time for an automatic. So for me its a 535i with steptronic. Take 10 years off my human chassis, and I would probably stick with manual.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

Um, hinckley, got any sage advice on whether the OP or any of us should buy a car with, say, Active Steering or perhaps Comfort Access? Will either affect up or down your enthusiasmo or manhood for that matter? Or for that matter, um, care to weigh in on the 535i vs 550i debate? The OP asked a question valid to him, whether confusing to you or not, and some people attempted to provide him some input from their experience. Seems like you have another type of input.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='531874' date='Feb 15 2008, 04:36 PM
Inference here is that maybe the driving style and enjoyment factor aren't such so as to truly appreciate the manual transmission in a 5er. I had to struggle with this issue when I placed my order a few weeks ago. For reference I've always driven manuals, starting with a Mustang 289, then a Capri 2L, then the 533i I've put 200K on thus far. My work truck is an MT as well. The enjoyment of total control and performance of the MT is unsurpassed. Yet, as I thought about the traffic factor a little, but more importantly the progress of the new ATs with full lock-up of the TC and many other advancements, and after test driving a few, I decided to take a chance on the Sport Automatic. I was persuaded by many enthusiasts on this site who seem to have made the transition from MT to AT positively. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Cal
100% DITTO.. I could not have summarized my thoughts and decision process better
Old 02-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='531897' date='Feb 15 2008, 05:34 PM
No offense - I promise - but I always get confused by this question.

I'm an unrepentant manual guy. It's just my thing. I don't even think about automatics.

And driving a manual vs an automatic is so fundamentally different, that to me chosing one 5er with vs another without is like choosing between going to the Caribbean on holiday or eating brocolli for dinner. I like brocolli. I just don't think of it as an alternative to the beach.
Ja, I too am confused by this and why people bring it up. I think that the beach v. broccoli is a great analogy.