E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Purchase advice for a 535i

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! (long time lurker, first time poster).

I'm ready to retire my 2001 Audi A6 2.7T, and after driving pretty much everything in the class (Volvo S80 T-6, Audi A6 3.2, Lexus GS-350, Acura RL, and Infiniti M35), I'd like to join the BMW family. I'm hoping to purchase a 2008 535i in the next week or two.

I'm a geek at heart, and frankly I think I enjoy the cool toys more than I enjoy some of the performance features, so I'm looking at a pretty loaded model.

ZSP Sport Package
5DF Active Cruise Control w/Stop & Go
ZPP Premium Package
609 Navigation System
217 Active Steering
610 Head-Up Display
677 Logic7 Sound System
322 Comfort Access
ZCW Cold Weather Package
508 Park Distance Control (PDC)
655 Sirius Satellite Radio
416 Power Rear Sunshade w/Manual Rear Side Window Shades
2TB 6-Speed Sport Automatic Transmission w/Shift Paddles
653 HD Radio
465 Fold Down Rear Seats
6FL iPod and USB Adapter
261 Rear Door Mounted Side Airbags
496 Heated Rear Seats

That all totals up to an MSRP of $69,405. Edmunds says the invoice price is $63,545 and the local target price is $68,935. It seems pretty crazy to me that the whole package can really be going for just $500 off sticker, and $5500 over invoice. I haven't started negotiating with a dealer yet, but are these cars really in that high of demand? Any advice on getting the most fair price? I've never leased before, but I'm leaning towards doing a three year lease and I'll probably put about $15K down to get the payments down.

Also, I'm in Portland, Oregon. There are two dealers in town Kuni and Rassmusen, I'm going to ask around locally, but anyone know either dealer at all?

Thanks very much for any advice!

Jason
Old 09-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

The demand cant be that high in OR... I would say if you can get it for $1.5K to $2K above invoice to go for it. and of course any lower the better... people will tell you $1K above invoice is do-able... sure it is... depending in your area and how the demand is... but I think 1.5 to 2 is reasonable.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Good luck , to bad your not in NY.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Members

My Ride: E53 E60 E92

Originally Posted by vbclown' post='465550' date='Sep 3 2007, 10:38 PM
Hi! (long time lurker, first time poster).

I'm ready to retire my 2001 Audi A6 2.7T, and after driving pretty much everything in the class (Volvo S80 T-6, Audi A6 3.2, Lexus GS-350, Acura RL, and Infiniti M35), I'd like to join the BMW family. I'm hoping to purchase a 2008 535i in the next week or two.

I'm a geek at heart, and frankly I think I enjoy the cool toys more than I enjoy some of the performance features, so I'm looking at a pretty loaded model.

ZSP Sport Package
5DF Active Cruise Control w/Stop & Go
ZPP Premium Package
609 Navigation System
217 Active Steering
610 Head-Up Display
677 Logic7 Sound System
322 Comfort Access
ZCW Cold Weather Package
508 Park Distance Control (PDC)
655 Sirius Satellite Radio
416 Power Rear Sunshade w/Manual Rear Side Window Shades
2TB 6-Speed Sport Automatic Transmission w/Shift Paddles
653 HD Radio
465 Fold Down Rear Seats
6FL iPod and USB Adapter
261 Rear Door Mounted Side Airbags
496 Heated Rear Seats

That all totals up to an MSRP of $69,405. Edmunds says the invoice price is $63,545 and the local target price is $68,935. It seems pretty crazy to me that the whole package can really be going for just $500 off sticker, and $5500 over invoice. I haven't started negotiating with a dealer yet, but are these cars really in that high of demand? Any advice on getting the most fair price? I've never leased before, but I'm leaning towards doing a three year lease and I'll probably put about $15K down to get the payments down.

Also, I'm in Portland, Oregon. There are two dealers in town Kuni and Rassmusen, I'm going to ask around locally, but anyone know either dealer at all?

Thanks very much for any advice!

Jason
head South to Salem, Delon.
I heard people from Portland even South WA gets their best deal there.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome. good luck and enjoy the forums.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:04 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

Welcome to the forum, and good luck on your upcoming purchase. Before you lease, I would spend some time researching the ins and outs of leasing. There is some good info in the "Dealer Purchasing and Service Forum", and also Bimmerfest has some good articles on leasing. I think if you research "Multiple Security Deposits", you will quickly see the advantages of this versus money down. Also, most of the advice I have received on leasing suggests to stay away from putting money down (Capital Reduction) on a lease. On my last lease, I put no money down, did muliple security deposits, and ended up with what I consider a good monthly payment.

Whatever you do though, you will love your car. Good Luck.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

If you lease negotiate to get the BMW Buy Rate and the Acquisition Fee of $625. The dealers typically try to mark these up, but you can generally negotiate this away. If you lease always check the dealers math using LeaseWizard software, $27. The dealers routinely make math errors in their favor and slip in extra fees (another word for more profit). It pays to do your homework. TRUST, BUT VERIFY.

The 5 er is a great car, but the purchase experience, especially leasing is less than pleasant to get a fair deal.

You can save the most money, by doing European Delivery.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Members

Please, please, please don't put down 15k....Take that money and put it in a some kind of an account you can get a nice return on. If you put down 15k on that lease, you have just given that money away. Leasing through BMWFS is not that bad. Usually good rates, nice residuals. I would try to ED if you have the time. Otherwise, you can put down multiple security deposits (money that will get refunded to you at the end) to buy down the money factor.

Good luck...If you order and get either the natural brown or black interior get the anthracite headliner.

J
Old 09-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i sport,prem,nav,HUD,iPod,shades

Go euro delivery and see Jim Mannheimer at DeLon BMW in Salem. Easy no dicker deals. $ave bucks on lease with multiple security deposits.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bikie' post='465736' date='Sep 4 2007, 11:26 AM
Go euro delivery and see Jim Mannheimer at DeLon BMW in Salem. Easy no dicker deals. $ave bucks on lease with multiple security deposits.
+1 on Jim and DeLon

Quick Reply: Purchase advice for a 535i