E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Puncture close to sidewall - does this look safe to repair?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 01:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I got this puncture this morning in the right rear tyre.

It is in the tread - but very close to sidewall.
They did not want to repair it but I insisted they use one of their smaller headed plugs from their inside so it did nott have to be applied where there was too much curvature.
(Obviously they wanted to sell me a new tyre)

What do you think?
Safe?
Attached Thumbnails Puncture close to sidewall - does this look safe to repair?-image_00104.jpg   Puncture close to sidewall - does this look safe to repair?-image_00105.jpg   Puncture close to sidewall - does this look safe to repair?-image_00106.jpg   Puncture close to sidewall - does this look safe to repair?-image_00107.jpg   Puncture close to sidewall - does this look safe to repair?-image_00108.jpg  

Old 02-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Members

My Ride: (June '05) E60 530d Sport, Silver Grey, Blk leather, Auto, BT, Comms package, 6-disk multichanger,.......£1302 for a dealer fitted towbar.........

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='389188' date='Feb 9 2007, 10:38 AM

They did not want to repair it but I insisted they use one of their smaller headed plugs from their inside so it did nott have to be applied where there was too much curvature.

What do you think?
Safe?
I'm no expert mate, but it looks like it's actually split partially into the sidewall?

It's a bummer, but to be honest, is it really worth the risk of having it plugged?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:53 AM
MAK
Members

What do you think?
Safe?
Try looking here hope it helps. http://www.blackcircles.com/
Old 02-09-2007, 01:54 AM
Members

My Ride: My Drive ……X5 3.0d Sport 2004, Sunroof, 6 Speed Auto, SATNAV, TV, Blue Tooth, Sterling Grey, Beige Leather, Folding Mirrors, Auto Dipping Mirrors, 6 CD, Poplar Wood Interior, Sun Protection Glass, Comfort Screen, Heated Seats. My Drive…… 530d Sport (E61) 2005, Carbon Black, Beige Leather, Auto, Comfort Seats, Panoramic Sun Roof, SATNAV Professional, 6 CD, ( Media Pack), Bi- Xenon’s Adaptive, Headlight Washers,Folding Mirrors, Sun Blinds, Sun Protection Glass, Advanced Air Conditioning / Heating, Blue Tooth with integrated Phone. Other Half’s Drive….318 Ci Sport, 2005, Graphite Grey, Red Leather, Full Sports Pack. Three sayings that can help with life “Shy boys get nothing” “You are confusing me with someone who gives a damn” “If you want a friend buy a dog”

Though its not on the shoulder it is extremely close to it, this point of the tyre does a lot of work due to the cornering forces. Did yo drive it far with this puncture , if you did, the sidewall might be suspect as well.

IMHO I would replace it, the last thing you need is a catastrophic failure at speed.

Check this site info out......Hope this helps.

http://www.dunloptire.com/care/repair.html
Old 02-09-2007, 02:34 AM
Contributors

What do you think?
Safe?
Way too close. Mine wasn't that close and still couldn't be repaired... The tyre-shop had a ruler that defined what was 'legal'.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:17 AM
Senior Members

Do you recall the approximate allowed distance from the sidewall?

thanks.

Originally Posted by colejl' post='389198' date='Feb 9 2007, 01:34 PM
Way too close. Mine wasn't that close and still couldn't be repaired... The tyre-shop had a ruler that defined what was 'legal'.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jagman' post='389191' date='Feb 9 2007, 05:54 AM
Though its not on the shoulder it is extremely close to it, this point of the tyre does a lot of work due to the cornering forces.
Ditto
I would definetly replace that one.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:26 AM
Senior Members

What do you think?
Safe?
Are you asking because the tyre shop gave you options? Surely they have definitive parameters and should err on the side of caution, typically involving the sale of a new tyre.

It could only be the customer after all who would push for a repair to save money.

Unless the tyre shop wants to reduce the amount of revenue it makes...

ABC
Old 02-09-2007, 03:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='389205' date='Feb 9 2007, 12:17 PM
Do you recall the approximate allowed distance from the sidewall?
It's a percentage of the width from the centre. Trust me, yours is way over...

There's actually a (British) standard for it: 'BSAU159f:1990' - but I can't seem to find the complete technical parameters.

Also, I believe Z-rated tyres lose that rating once repaired...
Old 02-09-2007, 04:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

My local tyre shop refuse to repair ANY runflat.
They say that they can technically do the job, and the repair would be good. BUT if you get another puncture (elsewhere on the tyre) the original repair then becomes un-type approved because there is no official technical approval for a repair on a FLAT tyre, only an inflated one.
I would treat the sidewalls as suspect unless you hadn't done many miles, and at low speed, with the tyre deflated.
Of course, a lot of tyre places will want to sell you a new tyre (or tyres). The benefit of a runflat is that (as I did), you can go home and make an informed decision what to do - indeed my "puncture" only came to light when my tyre was removed from the rim to change wheels, and there was a 6 inch nail through it, even though it was holding pressure. The dealer replaced the old tyre (complete with nail) on to the new rim, and I was able to get home, have a surf and get a good priced replacement.
As an addendum, I decided to junk the runflats (they were about 75% worn anyway) and go to proper tyres (at half the price!).
Result: better ride, quieter car, no tramlining, no noticeable difference in handling, better grip, less space to keep garbage and tools in the boot undertray 'cos of the "chocolate button" spare wheel!

Quick Reply: Puncture close to sidewall - does this look safe to repair?