E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Puncture close to sidewall - does this look safe to repair?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='389221' date='Feb 9 2007, 03:25 PM
My local tyre shop refuse to repair ANY runflat.
They say that they can technically do the job, and the repair would be good. BUT if you get another puncture (elsewhere on the tyre) the original repair then becomes un-type approved because there is no official technical approval for a repair on a FLAT tyre, only an inflated one.
I would treat the sidewalls as suspect unless you hadn't done many miles, and at low speed, with the tyre deflated.
Of course, a lot of tyre places will want to sell you a new tyre (or tyres). The benefit of a runflat is that (as I did), you can go home and make an informed decision what to do - indeed my "puncture" only came to light when my tyre was removed from the rim to change wheels, and there was a 6 inch nail through it, even though it was holding pressure. The dealer replaced the old tyre (complete with nail) on to the new rim, and I was able to get home, have a surf and get a good priced replacement.
As an addendum, I decided to junk the runflats (they were about 75% worn anyway) and go to proper tyres (at half the price!).
Result: better ride, quieter car, no tramlining, no noticeable difference in handling, better grip, less space to keep garbage and tools in the boot undertray 'cos of the "chocolate button" spare wheel!

Hi Mike,

I am using Michelin PS 2's which are not run flats. I also ditched the runflats a while back.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:45 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for all the feedback.

The reason I'm asking for various opinions is that the rear tyre costs the equivalent of US $ 560 to replace here.
So if I have to replace I''l try and order from TireRack.com, but that'll take a couple of weeks.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

To resolve customer confusion. My local tire shop has a tire painted with 2 different colors to distinguish if the tire can or can not be fixed with a puncture.

The puncture on your PS2 is definitely not repairable there.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

I agree with what everyone has said. Replace the tire. The camber on our rear tires are such that a majority of the time, the tire is contacting the road to where the nail is. If you choose to plug and patch, there's a likelihood of the tire blowing out.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:02 AM
Senior Members

Not repairable.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 BMW 550i, Silver Gray, Nav, SP, PDC, Comfort Access, Premium, Logic 7, CWP

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='389188' date='Feb 9 2007, 05:38 AM
I got this puncture this morning in the right rear tyre.

It is in the tread - but very close to sidewall.
They did not want to repair it but I insisted they use one of their smaller headed plugs from their inside so it did nott have to be applied where there was too much curvature.
(Obviously they wanted to sell me a new tyre)

What do you think?
Safe?
I had a similar puncture, very small screw though with my RFT and never drove it wihout air due to TPM's help. Anyhow, I plugged it, have driven it for 4,000 miles so far now even at 120 mph speed with no problem. i always check it though just in case

My theory is that just in case it blows up, the run flat should help me control the car. in your case your PS2 will just POP!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Senior Members

Thanks - your post was really reassuring. Right until you used the words "PS2" and "POP" in the same sentence

Originally Posted by topologe' post='389369' date='Feb 9 2007, 09:27 PM
I had a similar puncture, very small screw though with my RFT and never drove it wihout air due to TPM's help. Anyhow, I plugged it, have driven it for 4,000 miles so far now even at 120 mph speed with no problem. i always check it though just in case

My theory is that just in case it blows up, the run flat should help me control the car. in your case your PS2 will just POP!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 BMW 550i, Silver Gray, Nav, SP, PDC, Comfort Access, Premium, Logic 7, CWP

Originally Posted by BMW#5' post='389374' date='Feb 9 2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks - your post was really reassuring. Right until you used the words "PS2" and "POP" in the same sentence
PS2s are not run flat tires. Have it patched from the inside where you can also assess thedamage. As long as it does not affect the sidewall and you don't track the car, you should be good.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

Thanks, but I was just kidding.
I ditched my M135 rims and runflats over a year ago. I am very aware that PS2's are not run flats.

Originally Posted by topologe' post='389379' date='Feb 9 2007, 09:46 PM
PS2s are not run flat tires. Have it patched from the inside where you can also assess thedamage. As long as it does not affect the sidewall and you don't track the car, you should be good.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by topologe' post='389379' date='Feb 9 2007, 07:46 PM

As per topologe post I used to work in a tyre bay in the Armed forces and as long as the nail hasn't perished the sidewall in any way it can be repaired. OK it is on the limit from what I can see on the pictures but get it repaired and throw it on the front. The materials used on a repair are perfectly safe and tested to a high standard, I was constantly repairing land rover tyres which had served in the Gulf, so if the terrain these went through can withheld repairs think you will be fine.

Quick Reply: Puncture close to sidewall - does this look safe to repair?