E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

puma case open, and dealership still doesnt know whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04' 545i Sport Mystic Blue

If the dealership has opened a puma case, I wouldn't doubt that they've tried one if not both of those options or at the very least in the process of doing so. And since you haven't heard from them in two weeks they still have no clue.

And yes, go to the original dealership. They are the ones who sold it to you and made the money from the sale. So are more likely to step up and do the right thing. Going to another dealership is your option but you will most likely be pointed back to where you bought it.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

Originally Posted by superstyna
i quickly skimmed over the lemon law...im past the year mark and past the 12,000miles but it is a problem that has consistently happened and has been in their possesion for more than 30 days. Would i tell my service guy that im looking into "lemon law"?
As one who worked in the auto and truck business for many years, I would very much suggest that you do not threaten the dealership in any way with legal action while they are (?) attempting to repair your (their) vehicle. Only when they cannot or will not find a resolution should you take any legal action, otherwise any procedures regarding repairs and communications may stop.

Good luck.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by Cricketts
As one who worked in the auto and truck business for many years, I would very much suggest that you do not threaten the dealership in any way with legal action while they are (?) attempting to repair your (their) vehicle. Only when they cannot or will not find a resolution should you take any legal action, otherwise any procedures regarding repairs and communications may stop.

Good luck.
So after reading this whole thread you still think the dealer can find a resolution?! Nine months of ongoing issues with overheating, car towed several times, replaced thermostat twice, changed coolant as much, replaced sensors, in shop for more than 30 days and no contact in the last two weeks?! Yeah, you're right. She shouldn't take legal action.... SHE SHOULD BURN THE PLACE DOWN! j/k She's been more patient than most any of us would be. If all this don't warrant legal counsel/action, then I don't know what will....
Old 06-19-2012, 04:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

I would ask them to contact BMW directly. As a CPO vehicle BMW will be very loyal to you as a consumer. The rep will likely get your issue resolved. At this point you have to suspect either a fan issue or something far more severe such as an issue with the head. If financed, you may also request a collateral swap for a new vehicle of similar value.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

9 months of overheating, 2 dealerships, 8 techs, puma case, and one bmw regional tech and still no one knows whats wrong.

my question to this dear forum is what are my rights/options? ive made 2 car pymts now without even having my car...3 loaners later and still no results. should i be saying something or demanding anything? my service guy has been amazing and i dont wana jump his chain of command and get him in trouble or burn that bridge because he has helped me when the other dealer thought i was lying, any advice?????
Which dealer did you take it to? The master tech at Litha (formerly Rasmussen) is very good. I've never heard anything positive or negative about Kuni though.

The instrument cluster is a 'dumb' device that simply reads canbus messages and changes the lights and gauges as needed. If the DME reports that the engine is overheating then it probably is.

This sounds much more like a DME or cooling fan relay problem (or an air bubble in the cooling system).
Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Members

Hahaha ive definitely thought about burning my car but burning the dealership is def funnier! I definetly have been patient but its getting old especially when im making payments for a car i dont even have. I just tried to call to get an update (i only call once a week so im not a problem child) but the guys are at lunch so ill try in a bit so i can update u guys. I bought it from kuni and had been taking it there all this time but 2.5 months ago i took it and they said it must not have "really" overheated and gave me the keys back after a week so i took it directly to rasmussen and sure enough it keeps overheating on them. Most people would love driving a 550gt around as a loaner but in the nw id rather have my all wheel drive back. My whole family has beemers and they keep tellin me this never happens....i sure did pick the gremlin
Old 06-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Members

Alright i have a major update!!!!!! So after my last post thanks to your suggestions i called bmw usa and talked to customer relations. Gave him a summary of my issue and he has opened a case to waive a payment and to see about extending my warranty out since this has been an on going issue. Ironically while on the phone with him my service guy from rasmussen called!!!!! He said they have been able to get my car to overheat on demand now and that also there is another car in colorado that is having this same issue...... Sooooo theyve decided to replace my DEM (yes i have no idea what that is) he said he just sent a request just waiting on the approval. So is this in my favor? Is this a good fix?
Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

^^^At this point anything they try is a plus. Good thing you contacted corporate BMW - they are known for putting a foot in a dealership's ass whenever they take a long time to resolve an issue.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 04' 545i Sport Mystic Blue

Glad to hear you are making some progress. As "or_550i" mentioned the DME could be the cause and replacing it is definitely a step forward.

And what the heck 550gt as a loaner. Is not a bad deal...
Old 06-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Alright i have a major update!!!!!! So after my last post thanks to your suggestions i called bmw usa and talked to customer relations. Gave him a summary of my issue and he has opened a case to waive a payment and to see about extending my warranty out since this has been an on going issue. Ironically while on the phone with him my service guy from rasmussen called!!!!! He said they have been able to get my car to overheat on demand now and that also there is another car in colorado that is having this same issue...... Sooooo theyve decided to replace my DEM (yes i have no idea what that is) he said he just sent a request just waiting on the approval. So is this in my favor? Is this a good fix?
Like I said...they are VERY loyal. Very glad that you made some progress

Quick Reply: puma case open, and dealership still doesnt know whats wrong