E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Public Xenon (HID) Headlight Disapproval?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 525i - Silver Gray Metallic - Black Leather - Poplar Trim - Steptronic - Sport Package - Premium Package - Xenon Adaptive Headlights - Satellite Radio Prep - Rear Bumper Reflectors

Hi, I was driving down a two-lane highway one night when an oncoming driver of a large GMC SUV flashed its highbeams at me from a distance. I flashed the car back too see if maybe the driver accidentally flashed me, but it flashed back again. Must be one of those anti-HID/Xenon people. :thumbsdown:

One time I had occassion to follow someone who kept flashing at other oncoming cars with Xenon lights. Everytime this person did that, I flashed him from behind. Seriously, I don't think that HID lights are that glaring. I actually enjoy seeing the crisp, blueish hue from a distance.

Does anyone else here get flashed at often?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

I get flashed, but not too often. When I do, I flash them with the high-beams, not the halogen flashers. LOL!

The BMW's projectors have a nice cutoff to prevent glare, some of the newer lux SUVs do not have projectors, like the Escallade. These SUVs blind the hell out of people all the time.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

There's clearly a group of people who simply think that HID's are blinding them, even when they're not. I think the blueish tint causes their eyes to be drawn to them like a moth to flame.

The same thing happened many years ago when halogen was first introduced.

I also agree with tomwid that some of the HID cars don't do as good of a job defining the beam so there is often times a bit more glare from certain vehicles. In addition to those cars, there are many people who are stuffing some sort of blue bulb in a car that doesn't have HID's from the factory. These people end up blinding others because the lights are not to factory (and DOT) specs. Once someone gets blinded by one of those jokers, they assume all the "blue light" cars are equally bad so they just flash them out of frustration, I think...

By the way, I don't get flashed much by these people but if I do, like tomwid, I always remember to use the high beams and not the inner, flash-to-pass lights to politely thank them for nothing!
Old 12-21-2005, 04:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

I have noticed as well that some of the SUV's with them can be very blinding. On average I don't usually find Xenons that bright when seeing them coming at me at all. I think part of it may be some bitter people who are jealous they can't afford a car that comes with them. There are always people out there who hate everything and are full of spite. It is sad to go through life like that.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

I used to get flashed every now and again also.
I also kindly remind them with my Xenon highs to shut the F up!

(maybe I'll start driving around with just my foglights )
Old 12-21-2005, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Just don't drive by Iceman...
Old 12-21-2005, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

I am bothered far more by Pickup trucks and SUVs with their fog lights on.

However the fact is that due to the wavelength of the HIDs, many people are troubled by them (it can bother some people more than others - especially older people). I personally do not think they will be around for much longer in their current form.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='213969' date='Dec 21 2005, 09:09 AM
I knew it wouldn't take long.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='213981
I knew it wouldn't take long.
[/quote]

My dad absolutely hates the HID lights in general. I guess for older eyes it can really be bothersome.

I'll second the complaint about SUVs, but more because the lights are in such a high position - and it bothers me when they're behind me in traffic.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

doug_999 do you think they will be banned? I can't go back to Halogens, they suck.

Quick Reply: Public Xenon (HID) Headlight Disapproval?