E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Proud new owner of a 545i! Have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a 2005 545i w/ sports package, premium package, logic 7 audio, Nav, BT, and BMW assist. So far I'm really happy with the car. But I have a few questions.

First how do I go about getting a new CIP version? How much does it cost, what does it do, and is it worth it?

Second, is there an easier way to set POI icons on the NAV? And the POI's seem to disappear after I turn off my car, is there a way to make them stay? Also the I-drive knob seems a little finiky... sometimes I press down and the car doesn't seem to notice, other times it misses it when I push it a direction. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, or I'm just not used to it yet. And the boot-up time of the I-drive is totally inconsistent, sometimes its instant.. other times it takes like 30 seconds (w/ just BMW on the screen), will a CIP upgrade fix this? I assume that the hardware is the same for all E60 models, so its just a software issue?

Third, i'm coming from a Lexus ES 350 and the the throttle of the 545i seems a bit weird. At low speeds, pressing the gas seems a little bit inconsistent. I press it in a little and my car bearly goes, press it a little more, nothing happens, reach a threshold and all of a sudden I get all the torque. I'm wondering if it's just that I'm not used to the V8 or maybe theres a software update to help, either way I look like an idiot in traffic. On a similar note, it appears as if most of the torque happens in higher RPM's, so when accelerating I appear to get a rush of torque right before gear changes.. giving it an inconsitent feel while accelerating, again its probably just because I came from the ultra smooth lexus and not used to the v8 powerhouse thats in this car.

Fourth, I LOVE the way the car handles around turns, the active stabilization rocks! But how do I tell if my car has active steering? I know that in the 2006 the sports package didn't include active steering, and in 2004 it did. But I havn't been able to find out if the 2005 models included it or not?

Thanks for the help, I look forward to learning as much as I can about my new ride!
Old 05-15-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Everything you have described regarding the iDrive warrants a PROGMAN update. If you bought the car CPO'ed it should be free? Not sure.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:50 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can tell is you have AS by looking for this decal on the modual in the from left area of the engine compartment.
Attached Thumbnails Proud new owner of a 545i! Have a few questions.-gallery_503_314_262465.jpg  
Old 05-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray / Steptronic / Sport Package w/ active steering, adaptive xenons, sport seats, 18" style 124 wheels / Logic 7 sound / PDC / Bluetooth / iPod Integration

Welcome to the board!! I also recently purchased an '05 545i and absolutely love it. The throttle, like the braking, just takes some time to get use to. You have AS as it was included in '05 as part of the sport package. Drive it like it was stolen.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Members

I did the trick mentioned on the forum to reset the "Learning" transmission and the shifting during acceleration seems much better. Looks like all those people pounding the hell out of the car during test drives made the transmission learn bad habbits.

You said you have Ipod intergration on your 545, how do I go about getting that? Is it an aftermarket solution?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by mattvds' post='424681' date='May 15 2007, 01:36 PM
You said you have Ipod intergration on your 545, how do I go about getting that? Is it an aftermarket solution?
Nope, offered by the dealer. The iPod connector will replace your 6 disc changer in the glove box.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray / Steptronic / Sport Package w/ active steering, adaptive xenons, sport seats, 18" style 124 wheels / Logic 7 sound / PDC / Bluetooth / iPod Integration

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='424688' date='May 15 2007, 02:50 PM
Nope, offered by the dealer. The iPod connector will replace your 6 disc changer in the glove box.
And well worth the money IMNSHO.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

If you do not have the latest software, CIP V25, you should get it. It improves overall driveability and your throttle response issues will probably be eliminated. You can tell if you have V25 by the appearance of iDrive. Just search this site for some screenshots in another thread posted a while back.

You generally do not have to pay for updates if you are still under warranty. You simply need to have a valid complaint that warrants the update. Again, use search to see what was fixed by V25. The most common complaint recently was the CD player running on after key off. That was fixed in V25. So, if you have that problem: A) you don't have V25 there is your complaint for warranty update.

Good luck. Enjoy the car, it is the best.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='424764' date='May 15 2007, 03:21 PM
If you do not have the latest software, CIP V25, you should get it. It improves overall driveability and your throttle response issues will probably be eliminated. You can tell if you have V25 by the appearance of iDrive. Just search this site for some screenshots in another thread posted a while back.

You generally do not have to pay for updates if you are still under warranty. You simply need to have a valid complaint that warrants the update. Again, use search to see what was fixed by V25. The most common complaint recently was the CD player running on after key off. That was fixed in V25. So, if you have that problem: A) you don't have V25 there is your complaint for warranty update.

Good luck. Enjoy the car, it is the best.

I'll try out the CD to see if I have the problem and then request an update. Also, I was wondering if there is an official list of voice commands that the Nav will accept. I use the "options" voice command to see the options, but they are pretty limited. I have also heard about an "extended voice-activated system" that can be added to the car. Will this add more voice commands? Or does my car probably already have this?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i, Orient Blue/Beige, Navigation, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, PDC, split-folding rear seats, DIY iPod. DIY Valentine 1 hardwire, loose nut behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by mattvds' post='424681' date='May 15 2007, 02:36 PM
I did the trick mentioned on the forum to reset the "Learning" transmission and the shifting during acceleration seems much better.
+1. This trick should fix your transmission woes, as it did for my '05 545i auto trans.

Quick Reply: Proud new owner of a 545i! Have a few questions.