E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progman Update Cuts Phone Strength Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.
Thumbs up

My service advisor is now advising me that the latest progman update has causeed my iDrive phone signal strength indicator to dive to only 3 bars; allegedly, strength in use remains the same. At first I believed him, but now, I notice when the phone is first recognized, it will score a full 5 bars, then drop down to 3.

I was having signal strength problems in use and brought it to Verizon; the BMW-approved Motorola phone itself shows 5 bars and was checked out and updated by Verizon.

Has anyone else seen this decline? And have they found decreased signal strength in actual usage?

I'd appreciate this remaining on the main board, as it is supposedly a Progman issue.

Ray
Old 11-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='495923' date='Nov 18 2007, 08:42 AM
My service advisor is now advising me that the latest progman update has causeed my iDrive phone signal strength indicator to dive to only 3 bars; allegedly, strength in use remains the same. At first I believed him, but now, I notice when the phone is first recognized, it will score a full 5 bars, then drop down to 3.

I was having signal strength problems in use and brought it to Verizon; the BMW-approved Motorola phone itself shows 5 bars and was checked out and updated by Verizon.

Has anyone else seen this decline? And have they found decreased signal strength in actual usage?

I'd appreciate this remaining on the main board, as it is supposedly a Progman issue.

Ray
Hey Ray....do you know what the version of Progman you have is?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

The version is whatever was being peddled in September.

Now, I note that the phone listings are not updating. (fine on the phone, but not on iDrive system). In essence, now, I have to pick the phone up and select a name, and also respond to prompts with the phone, rather than via iDrive. Seems to have lost its interim "dial" function where one would choose options after connected.

Phone indicate "BMW BTM" connection as it boots. ALL of these functioned fine in earlier Progman updates.

Ray
Old 11-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

Hold on - BTM would indicate the workaround Bluetooth module, aka the BTUM, not the built-in telematics unit.

The compatibility listing is not necessarily the same for the BTUM. Is that what you have?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='496147' date='Nov 18 2007, 09:07 PM
Hold on - BTM would indicate the workaround Bluetooth module, aka the BTUM, not the built-in telematics unit.

The compatibility listing is not necessarily the same for the BTUM. Is that what you have?
Yes, BTUM is what reads on the phone. It was an after-thought installation in my 04 rather than going for the then-defunct BMW phone. Are you suggesting that the Progman update is NOT suited to the BTUM unit?

That would likely explain several other oddities I am discovering; like not reading new additions to my phone book listings, and not being able to hang up the call (at least one started manually with the phone). That was never an issue before.

If so...now what? Can't backslide on updates...

Ray
Old 11-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi Monaco Blue Dark Burl Walnut Black Leather Comfort Package Sports Package Cold Weather Package Nav Logic 7 18" Sport Wheels Xenon Interior and License Plate Light Upgrade

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='496356' date='Nov 19 2007, 11:35 AM
Yes, BTUM is what reads on the phone. It was an after-thought installation in my 04 rather than going for the then-defunct BMW phone. Are you suggesting that the Progman update is NOT suited to the BTUM unit?

That would likely explain several other oddities I am discovering; like not reading new additions to my phone book listings, and not being able to hang up the call (at least one started manually with the phone). That was never an issue before.

Ray
Have you updated your phone software?

For Verizon dial *228 ...

I know people who have had problems w/ their phonebook loading and the software/firmware update fixed it

Hope this helps
Old 11-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm still getting all my bars after a software update last week -- no BTUM in use.

Could be on to something that it's only with the BTUM module. If it's a new bug with the car's software, the best solution is to report it to BMW and let them fix it, not back-rev the software...
Old 11-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='496356' date='Nov 19 2007, 11:35 AM

Ray
What I am actually suggesting is that the behavior of the BTUM is not the same as the combined Assist/Bluetooth telematics unit (TCU). The compatibility list that you see is for the TCU, not for the BTUM (I am not sure if there is a list of compatible mobiles for the BTUM).

In essence, all bets are off as this was a kind of stop-gap to ensure BWM gave owners an option besides the quickly outdated CPT-9000. Since Bluetooth was not an option when the car was built, BMW is not necessarily supporting BTUM in Progman the same way they support the TCU.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

Talked again to Service Advisor: He didn't recall that he installed the BTUM, and then quickly admitted that the latest Progman probably didn't include my stop-gap BTUM, and that there is no choice to go backward in Progman.

BMWNA Service Rep will visit on Wednesday and he will present problem to him, but it's clear now that this update was one too far. He's also going to discuss another set of Thumpflat replacements.
Thx for your suggestions,
Ray
Old 11-19-2007, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='496652' date='Nov 19 2007, 09:40 PM
Talked again to Service Advisor: He didn't recall that he installed the BTUM, and then quickly admitted that the latest Progman probably didn't include my stop-gap BTUM, and that there is no choice to go backward in Progman.

BMWNA Service Rep will visit on Wednesday and he will present problem to him, but it's clear now that this update was one too far. He's also going to discuss another set of Thumpflat replacements.
Thx for your suggestions,
Ray
Any time. As soon as you said BTUM, I knew what the problem probably was.

Please let us know what you hear next.

Quick Reply: Progman Update Cuts Phone Strength Indicator