E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with new e60's

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep, silver with imola red. very good!!

hey do you still have the m3, im sikc of mine, i want a 545 and a cayenne to repalce my x5. i HATE the m3 rigth now. 15 times in the schop for major stuff man.

Originally Posted by firewired' date='Sep 23 2004, 12:46 PM
evperry,

Weren't you over at m3forum??

Didn't you have imola interior also?
[snapback]37452[/snapback]
Old 09-23-2004, 06:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Almost 9,500 miles so far. New steering rack at 1,200 miles but ever since, flawless !!
March build with April delivery (it was a bad casting of the rack. Heard of a few others around the same time frame but none other since. They must have corrected the problem).
Old 09-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

I've been over it before, but I have had many problems with my car. Part of the problem is the lack of caring or capable dealers (with some of the minor things), part of the problem is BMWNA (with the transmission), and part of it is new car bugs. While our car is a lemon, I think most people on this forum love their cars and have had relatively problem-free existences with them. The biggest common complaint seems to be the dealers, not the cars themselves! And again, although we have had such bad issues, I still do love the E60 in general (although the ROTTEN, ROTTEN transmission in this particular car makes me want to drive it off a cliff and let insurance sort it out).
Old 09-23-2004, 07:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

Originally Posted by evperry' date='Sep 23 2004, 07:34 PM
yep, silver with imola red.? very good!!

hey do you still have the m3, im sikc of mine, i want a 545 and a cayenne to repalce my x5.? i HATE the m3 rigth now.? 15 times in the schop for major stuff man.

[quote name='firewired' date='Sep 23 2004, 12:46 PM']evperry,

[snapback]37618[/snapback]
[/quote]

I had carbon black with imola. I ended up switching into a 911 which I am now trading in to get the 545. We are expecting our second child. My wife would never allow me to put the baby in the 911.

A couple of things that I ended up liking more on the 911 than the M3 was the high torque it has at low RPMs, compared to having to get to 5500 rpm before the M3 starts pulling. I also thought the 911 shifter was seemed much more distinct to me than the M3, even after I put a short shifter into the M3.

For me after driving a demo a couple of times I thought the 545 is the best combination of performance, safety and comfort. In a couple of years I think I will take another look at the M3 when the 400 hp V8 has been out for a year, but now with an expanding family it would have to be as a second car.

Evperry, one thing to make sure you do is drive a 6 speed if that is what you are condsidering ordering it. I think that after the M3 the 6 speed will be a let down. I was surprised at how much I didn't enjoy driving it, and was glad I had the opportunity prior to putting my order in being that is what I was going to order. The salesman tried to tell me that I had been spoiled with the M3 and the 911, but to me, the 545 had a very different clutch that I didn't enjoy driving around town. It seemed to be very springing with not a lot of give, I almost stalled it out the first time.

Glad to see you again.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:22 PM
rem
Members

I haven't been online for a long time...I've got 17,000 miles on my 545/6. Bought it in November last year (sep '03 build). Only issues have been the increased emissions warning . got several software upgrades for that and it's finally ok. and some technical probs with the phone installation. Other minor stuff like ash tray that stuck...no big deal. Car is absolutely the greatest driver I've ever experienced. I'm ready to change out the runflats though. They have a bit of a harsh ride. I can wait the tires out until they are ready for retirement though.

bottom line...dayum nice car!
Old 09-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Members

Im just getting into porsche and I think teh cayenne will be my first foray into that brand.

I drove the 6 speed and for me, I enjoyed it. Personally I drive daily in allot of stop and go and I thought the clutch was light and the shifter was smooth. However, i might try the SMG version of this car to play with the technology.

One thing, I do prfer the overall looks of the M3 to the 545 but it is starting to look a little dated right now. Another thing is that I just cant seem to enoy driving another car as much as a BMw. I really tried.

Originally Posted by firewired' date='Sep 23 2004, 10:20 PM
[quote name='evperry' date='Sep 23 2004, 07:34 PM']yep, silver with imola red.? very good!!

hey do you still have the m3, im sikc of mine, i want a 545 and a cayenne to repalce my x5.? i HATE the m3 rigth now.? 15 times in the schop for major stuff man.

[quote name='firewired' date='Sep 23 2004, 12:46 PM']evperry,

[snapback]37618[/snapback]
[/quote]

I had carbon black with imola. I ended up switching into a 911 which I am now trading in to get the 545. We are expecting our second child. My wife would never allow me to put the baby in the 911.

A couple of things that I ended up liking more on the 911 than the M3 was the high torque it has at low RPMs, compared to having to get to 5500 rpm before the M3 starts pulling. I also thought the 911 shifter was seemed much more distinct to me than the M3, even after I put a short shifter into the M3.

For me after driving a demo a couple of times I thought the 545 is the best combination of performance, safety and comfort. In a couple of years I think I will take another look at the M3 when the 400 hp V8 has been out for a year, but now with an expanding family it would have to be as a second car.

Evperry, one thing to make sure you do is drive a 6 speed if that is what you are condsidering ordering it. I think that after the M3 the 6 speed will be a let down. I was surprised at how much I didn't enjoy driving it, and was glad I had the opportunity prior to putting my order in being that is what I was going to order. The salesman tried to tell me that I had been spoiled with the M3 and the 911, but to me, the 545 had a very different clutch that I didn't enjoy driving around town. It seemed to be very springing with not a lot of give, I almost stalled it out the first time.

Glad to see you again.
[snapback]37649[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 09-23-2004, 07:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i... Alpine White, Black Dakota, Anthracite, Premiium 1+2, Sports Package, Comfort Access

eveperry,

I traded in my M3 for a 545 and have never looked back. I was bklynm3 at m3forum.com. I had the whole engine replaced after it blew and two weeks later my dealer had the car almost one month because the car would start and just die. They couldnt find what was wrong with it. Bottom line is the S54 engine is in general no good. Go with the new 5. Vast majority of problems are minor Idrive things.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: DMS 535d. Titanium Silver on Black leather. M- Sport Package.

One software problem at the very begining. Non so far. Great car.

Would buy it again

Kyriacos
Old 09-24-2004, 03:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SueBMW' date='Sep 23 2004, 08:59 PM
I've been over it before, but I have had many problems with my car.? Part of the problem is the lack of caring or capable dealers (with some of the minor things), part of the problem is BMWNA (with the transmission), and part of it is new car bugs.? While our car is a lemon, I think most people on this forum love their cars and have had relatively problem-free existences with them.? The biggest common complaint seems to be the dealers, not the cars themselves!? And again, although we have had such bad issues, I still do love the E60 in general (although the ROTTEN, ROTTEN transmission in this particular car makes me want to drive it off a cliff and let insurance sort it out).
[snapback]37643[/snapback]
Hey Sue, I guess you took the words right out of my mouth I couldn't have said it any better myself. Oh boy, I only wished that I would have the guts to drive my car off a cliff...
Old 09-24-2004, 07:07 AM
Members

I'm up to 12,500 miles on a November build e60. It has been in the shop once for oil service and to upgrade the idrive software. I believe now that the 05s are out most of the kinks have been worked out and the car will be very reliable.

Quick Reply: problems with new e60's