E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problems with garage they called police on me

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about that man. good luck and keep us posted. hope everything works out for you.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black/BlacK

pffft if u didnt sign anything and theres no proof I think you're good to go
Old 10-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by evo42' post='687009' date='Oct 6 2008, 10:12 PM
You sure he was a cop?
He left his phone number and I called him back. Do you think it was fake cop? I'll check his phone number on yellow pages.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by vip_motors' post='687022' date='Oct 7 2008, 10:19 AM
He left his phone number and I called him back. Do you think it was fake cop? I'll check his phone number on yellow pages.
Some garages use a 'bill collector' who's usually a retired cop... Maybe that's it? To encourage you to settle your bill.

Doubt they would call the cops since that would mean a police report and that makes things very complicated--especially if all they want is money.

Or:

Is it that they didn't know who took the car, reported to the cops, found out it was you and now the present situation....?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Contributors

If you want resolution in a timely manner, it's time to seek legal representation. This is out of hand with too many parties involved.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

That totally sucks. Canada isnt that shady the last time I checked... Good luck with your ordeal... Hope everything gets settled in your favor. keep us posted.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Members

Send me a Private Message describing exactly how things went, time every event and make them into right order...

I can give you my legal advice on this....
Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
CLD
Members

Correct me if I'm wrong...but this is a civil matter, not a criminal matter. Cops have no business. You can not be charged for stealing your own property.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Senior Members

Although i am not an expert on these complicated situations, I am however cop smart. Cops usaly do not call your cellphone to bring yourself in. They would show up at your house and bring your ass down. If they have no proof or grounds to get involved they might come to your house to scare you on behalf of the dealership. Don't discuss these events with that "guy" on the phone. It may be used againt you or taken out of contexted. One trick I ALWAYS use when a police officer is asking questions is that you are switching phones and need to call him back before the phone dies. Take down his number and call your Lawyor immediately! Get your lawyor to call the number. Cop wont expect that! Hope everything turns out fine. Best just to relax and not get eratic. GL
Old 10-06-2008, 07:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by CLD' post='687075' date='Oct 6 2008, 11:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but this is a civil matter, not a criminal matter. Cops have no business. You can not be charged for stealing your own property.

The text below is quoted from here:

http://www.lorman.com/newsletters/article....p;category_id=3

"Of those few jurisdictions that generally recognize mechanics? liens, which include various provinces of Canada (including Quebec) and New Zealand, a U.S. contractor will quickly find that its rights under those statutes can be significantly different from those to which it is accustomed.

Analogous lien law statutes to those found in the United States can be found in several of the Canadian common law provinces, such as the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. The Mechanics? Lien Act in this province applies to all contracts, and all subcontracts arising under those contracts, for services or materials used in the making, constructing, erecting, fitting, altering, improving or repairing of land, building, structure or works furnished to an owner, contractor or subcontractor. Like the lien laws in the United States, the lien attaches to the owner?s interest in the real property being improved, and the lien is limited to the sum due to the lienor and the sum unpaid by the owner. There also are corresponding deadlines by which the contractor or subcontractor is required to file, serve and enforce its lien.

Quebec, on the other hand, the only code or civil law province in Canada, blends mechanic?s lien concepts and the common code-country term: hypothec.9 A legal hypothec (a security interest arising by operation of law) may arise from the claim of a person taking part in the construction or renovation of an ?immovable? 10 to the extent of added value. There is a registration deadline after the end of the work to preserve the legal hypothec, as well as an enforcement deadline. Subcontractor rights exist, if the owner is notified of the subcontract, but the claim is limited to the work, materials or services supplied after such written declaration of the contract to the owner.11"

Quick Reply: Problems with garage they called police on me