E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: How many problems with your e 60?
None
32.50%
One
21.25%
Two
15.00%
Three
11.25%
Four or more
20.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Problems with e60s

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by cleung
WOW what kind of fantasy world do you live in where bmw's run perfectly with no problems? I want to live there.
WOW,I guess ,knock on wood,I'm living in that "Fantasy World" your talking about. 9,000 + miles and not one problem. Again knock on wood. Wish me the good luck I'm having.
cheers
vern
Old 02-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

My experience with BMW has been as follows:

I buy exclusively CPO cars. Two of my three have been returned leases. I think that leased vehicles are probably the most abused and/or neglected vehicles because the leasee knows that after two or three he can return the car and move on. By that, I mean that the leased cars are probably only going to get the minimum of maintenance that iDrive points out.

With that knowledge, I usually spend the first 2 years getting rid of kinks possibly caused by erratic maintenance while keeping up a much more stringent regiment of maintenance such as immediately replacing all fluids,including transmission, differential, xdrive, power steering fluid, radiator coolant, replacing the oil every 7K miles instead of 15K, etc. After the initial 2 years of removing gremlins, usually under warranty, I find that my BMWs have been trouble free and very reliable. I then go on driving them six more years and generally, I have spent money only on maintenance and tires, battery, etc. I think that with proper maintenance, these cars can last many, many years.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

I've had as many problems in as many months as I've owned the car (3 mos). Not big issues, but issues none the less.

passenger side mirror and door switch replaced
steering wheel column replaced
transmission slip corrected by software upgrade
Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
I bought my '04 545i in June of 2006. Since I've owned the car, the following problems have occured:

Transmission Slam
Passenger Restraint Warning (3 seperate times. 3 seperate fixes)
MPM module failure
Faulty battery
Water pump replacement
Thermostat replacement
Transmission seal failure
Vacuum pump replacement
Catalytic Converter efficiency threshhold warning
Control arm bushing deterioration
Windshield rubber seal deterioration
Valve cover gasket leakage

12 major problems. Fortunately all were either covered by the original warranty, or by Fidelity Warranty Services (an aftermarket warranty purchased from Rodney at BMW Atlanta). A lesser car would have had me selling quickly and raining fire and brimstone down on everyone from the dealer to BMWNA (and beyond). Yet, she's such a wonderful machine to drive, the problems seem minor compared to the driving enjoyment provided, even 4 years later. I've driven the 550, 535, 525, and 528. Each has their own personalities, quirks, and such. Yet, in no small part due to the mods made, mine just feels so animalistic, raw and just plain wrong. I love it lol. She's at 106k miles now - no more warranty, so I'm seriously contemplating selling. The depreciation hit over the past year or so is simply disheartening. $45k 4 years ago to less than half that worth now (the original owner paid $59k for her new - an amazing deal for a brand new V8 BMW). Those buying pre-LCI E60s today are getting one hell of a bargin for their money!
I guess it's true that everyone's idea of a MAJOR problem differs from person to person.

From your list, I counted only four major problems (Transmission Slam, MPM module failure, Transmission seal failure, Valve cover gasket leakage). The rest were really nuisances more than "major" problems. Those can and do happen in any car, high or low end).
Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Terraformer
It'd be nice to stratify the results; e.g., how many pre-LCI members have had 2 problems in 4 years of ownership. Without that it's impossible to see how the variables are related...
I totally agree. I wish there was more flexibility in setting up the poll questions.

At least one interesting point so far to note is that there is a pretty good proportion of owners who have had one or no problems with their cars. That's in sharp contrast to most of the posts. But, I beleive that is to be expected, the owners with problems are more likely to post, often looking for suggestions for a fix.