E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problem with US Spec LCI Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 10:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello E60 drivers,

I?m new here and was wondering if someone can tell me what?s wrong with my lights.

I drive a 2007 530xi. I was able to get my hands on a set of LCI taillights (amber signal) with cables. All went well and fine then a friend of mine was able to get me a set of US spec LCI taillights (the red turn signal) the other day. He works at a salvage yard and a crash up E60 came in with a total front end. He knew I was looking for the lights so he took them out for me before they scrap the car. Anyway I swap out the Euro LCI tails in replace of the US spec one thinking they?re the same except for the color signal difference. Later that night I notice that one side of the taillight (drivers side) lower LED line blink/strobe every so often.
Now is there something wrong with the cable? Is the cable not compatible with the US taillights? Or do you guys think there is something wrong with that LED.

Any reply or help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

what cables did you get? Are they from Bruce Miranda? What was the MY of the LCI e60 your friend got the lights from? I believe 2009/10 model lights were buggy with bruce's cables...

also...if your friend gets his hands on some M5 mirrors...PM me
Old 08-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Lucky. That indeed is a good friend. Like what GENEatals asked, what wires are you using? If all you did is a simple swap then you need different wires or they may throw error codes I believe. Please refer to this link for some additional information:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=79895

I am a newbie to the e60 forums so please forgive me if all my information is not correct. Still learning about the e60 while I search for the right 545i.

GL with the lights!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

and here is the thread I was referring to regarding differences between the years in tail lights..

https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=76878&hl=
Old 08-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Contributors

oops sorry, my link was for the groupbuy though it does not clearly indicate the reasoning for needing different wires.

This thread may be a little more informative on the wire:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...=lci+taillights
Old 08-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Members

Thanks GeneaTals and redeyejedi

GeneaTals : MY?? are you asking Make and Year? If so he doesn't know. My friend spotted the light and he took them right off the E60 before his boss saw it
As for M5 mirrors, I don't know if he gets any of them in but I'll have him look out for it and will PM you if some thing shows up.

Redeyejedi: I have no clue on who made these cables but they sure do look like the bruce cables and I have no clue on which version they are. I know that it has a gray box and they run kinda hot. And little too hot for my liking. Is there some sort of numbers to the bruce cables? If so where should I look for them?

Again thanks for all the input guys.
Thanks
Dave
Old 08-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rascalbk' post='975435' date='Aug 13 2009, 01:54 PM
Thanks GeneaTals and redeyejedi

GeneaTals : MY?? are you asking Make and Year? If so he doesn't know. My friend spotted the light and he took them right off the E60 before his boss saw it
As for M5 mirrors, I don't know if he gets any of them in but I'll have him look out for it and will PM you if some thing shows up.

Redeyejedi: I have no clue on who made these cables but they sure do look like the bruce cables and I have no clue on which version they are. I know that it has a gray box and they run kinda hot. And little too hot for my liking. Is there some sort of numbers to the bruce cables? If so where should I look for them?

Again thanks for all the input guys.
Thanks
Dave
Dave, MY= Model year Can be found on a sticker of the driver side door jam

the link I provided above might help....
Old 08-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Just curious. Are you selling/trading those Euro spec taillights? I have a set of perfectly working US spec LCI lights. They are working flawlessly with Bruce's cable.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i'd guess the problem is with the lights from the junkyard. the wreck might have jolted something lose...
Old 08-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

i'd say its the taillights

Quick Reply: Problem with US Spec LCI Taillights