E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping to replace mine today. New baby arrived yesterday and appears to like sleeping (hurray!).
Old 02-20-2009, 03:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Once warmed up, mine seems to run between 86 - 89 degrees, depending on whether I'm queuing or driving faster on the motorway. On the occasions I've had the hidden OBC menu 7 showing it has never gone above 89.

I'm sure this is fine.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:58 AM
Members

Ordered thermostat change from dealer, 2 week waiting for free slot.. They will check out the EGR thermostat I changed if its faulty and will change the main thermostat. Lets hope its the reason behind low temps. New idea came also that if the transmission oil cooler might have separate/inbuild thermostat and it would be faulty (from BMW enthusiast)

Do you have similar temp change as I do when driving manual and 3.rd or 4th gear--> high revs , temps drop dramatically?
Basically if revs go up , temps go down, even down to 55C, and when back to 1500 rpm the temps creep up quite fast back to 75ish range?

I sure hope the temp issue will be solved because it causes engine run cooler and MPG is quite high. Also DPF is not working correctly because low temperatures and that also causes decreased mileage.

I have spend well over 2000? for repairs and maintenance for 2005 car which has been driven only 65000 km so far, seems bit excessive (Ok, I changed oils and all filters 5k km too early just to be on safe side but still)
Old 02-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='797502' date='Feb 20 2009, 10:47 AM
Hoping to replace mine today. New baby arrived yesterday and appears to like sleeping (hurray!).

Congratulations on your new arrival.

Let us know the results from your EGR thermostat change when you get time.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

I had a really long run on the motorway today and I noticed my coolant temp would only go as high as 81c, it seemed to hover around 76-81c. I am dropping the car at the dealer tomorrow for its check up so I guess i'll order a EGR Tstat while i am there, along with a oil separator filter.

One last thing, I had a look around and I can confirm that my car has those anoying swirl flaps on the intake. They will be getting removed in the very near future.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 316iT 2004 525DAT

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='798830' date='Feb 22 2009, 06:39 PM
I had a really long run on the motorway today and I noticed my coolant temp would only go as high as 81c, it seemed to hover around 76-81c. I am dropping the car at the dealer tomorrow for its check up so I guess i'll order a EGR Tstat while i am there, along with a oil separator filter.

One last thing, I had a look around and I can confirm that my car has those anoying swirl flaps on the intake. They will be getting removed in the very near future.
I tested the car today and yes, I'm having the same issue. Temp usually in the low sixties. Going to the repair shop tomorrow and will buy the EGR and change it.

A quick questions concering annoying flaps; do you mean those in the grill that opens/closes depending on the speed? How are they annoying?
Old 02-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by -Russ-' post='797625' date='Feb 20 2009, 04:01 PM
Congratulations on your new arrival.

Let us know the results from your EGR thermostat change when you get time.
Well, I've changed it. Yet to do a really long run but the temp has gone from 68 to about 80 but wouldn't really go any higher.
The old EGR was faulty (I could blow through it). Wonder why it won't go higher? It's booked in at the dealer on Friday so I'll get them to check.

Oh, and I do have the flaps behind the grille (2004 E61 530D SE Auto).
Old 02-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BingoBonzo' post='798864' date='Feb 22 2009, 01:32 PM
I tested the car today and yes, I'm having the same issue. Temp usually in the low sixties. Going to the repair shop tomorrow and will buy the EGR and change it.

A quick questions concering annoying flaps; do you mean those in the grill that opens/closes depending on the speed? How are they annoying?
The annoying flaps are the 6 that are inside the intake manifold, if you are unlucky they can come loose and destroy your engine. Basically they are little butterfly flaps that open and close similar to a throttle body, they dont serve any purpose that i am aware of. BMW wont do a recall as it doesnt affect enough people, when it goes it is very expensive to put right. I wouldnt remove the grill flaps, they actually assist the car in warming up.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Members

Changed my EGR thermostat yesterday morning and temps have improved, it now warms up a lot quicker and maintains about 81C - 83C without any sudden fluctuations.

I wonder if the older models such as mine (2004) don't run as hot as the newer LCI engines with stricter emisson control, if so 80C or there abouts maybe ok.

I did check the bottom hose on the radiator as the engine was warming up and it remained cool for some considerable time, then the main thermostat must of opened which allowed the coolant to flow round. So the main stat must be operating ok, as I thought when they fail they usually stick open or closed but I may be wrong.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:13 AM
Members

Maybe it is normal with a temperature of 80 C in 2004 models? After replacing the ERG thermostat I get the engine temperature of 80 C. But the main thermostat I have purchased but not installed yet, has the opening temperature of 88 C printed on it.

Quick Reply: problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.