E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sanjsanj

There isn't a video, but there are written instructions here or use the search function, I believe there are other instructions too. Nice car btw mate, is that yours? I love the two-tone wheels and roof, the black really brings out the white!
Yeah it's mine pics here.... https://5series.net/forums/topic/121...-pics-of-my-5/
Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Members

Thanks for the responses guys. Have it booked in for Wednesday this week, so fingers crossed it will bring up the temp to 90 degrees and I will get improved mpg. I also did a payback calculation to see how long it would take to pay for itself if I got 10% increase in mpg: and it was about 9 months so no brainer.

I did forget to ask the garage if they'd check the EGR condition so they may well want a little more as you say if it needs cleaning.

Will keep you informed.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 AM
Members

Just to give an update:

The car went in to the garage and had both thermostats replaced. I don't believe the car gets warmer any quicker but it does now get to 91/92 and when driving uphill or in traffic will go as high as 94.

Its difficult to say on mpg but I would say a 5% improvement looks likely if not a bit more. Any how, at least I don't need to worry about it being able to regenerate now, and maybe if the engine is now reaching its correct operating temperature maybe there will be less need for a regeneration if the engine burns cleaner.

Thanks for your help,

Steve.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Members

Hi all,

I have an 12/04 E61 535d that I picked up this time last year. On the run back from Lincoln to Dover I managed to average about 45mpg with a little bit of B-Roads then mostly 70-80mph motorway traffic. This dropped very slightly getting across from France but only when we hit the Autobahn
As time has gone by the average sits at 25-27mpg with shortish journeys(15-30 miles) but they normally involve 80-120mph autobahn runs. I drive pretty hard so am not unsurprised te figures are low but these seem very low. Following a read of the start of this thread I found my temps at a steady 100mph in 25+ degree ambient temp was between 79 and 82 deg C. I have changed the EGR which I confirmed was faulty but the temps have not changed at all. I am now ordering a new main stat and will swap it out soon.
The question I have though is that I have noticed the dynamic section on the rev counter never completely disappears and I want to know if this is normal. I suspect the fact the car doesn't reach 90degC means it doesn't quite think it's up to temperature and therefore the white marks still show for the last 500rpms. Can anyone confirm my theory please?

Regards
Lee
Old 09-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

nah, the last few white bars are normal.

Do the temp test at a slower speed, more like 70mph, then come back to us. stats need changing around 80k anyway.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Members

Thanks for the info, will try tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

From 80°C on the variable part of the rev counter doesn't move anymore. I had the problem with the EGR thermostat also as it was running 70°C and lower. Also it took a long time to get there. After changing the EGR thermostat my engine goes to 80°C alot quicker then before. But doesn't goes any higher. I tested the Variable part of the rev counter by reving when it was standing still. Only then it reaches 90°C.
Not sure if there is alot difference between 80°C and 90°C. Wonder how long a new thermostat would keeps the engine at 90°C. Not sure if its worth it.

Most importat is that the engine goes above 70°C as that is needed to regenerate, and the time it needs to get up to operating temp as running long at low temps it engine isn't running optimal with higer wear.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Members

Max temp reached was 87 deg very briefly but then it settles back down to 82 for most of the time.
Revving mine at standstill simply cools it back down, it was at 84 when I pulled up and after 30s of revving it wnt down to 82. At least I know the water pump works
Old 09-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Originally Posted by tom_il
From 80°C on the variable part of the rev counter doesn't move anymore. I had the problem with the EGR thermostat also as it was running 70°C and lower. Also it took a long time to get there. After changing the EGR thermostat my engine goes to 80°C alot quicker then before. But doesn't goes any higher. I tested the Variable part of the rev counter by reving when it was standing still. Only then it reaches 90°C.
Not sure if there is alot difference between 80°C and 90°C. Wonder how long a new thermostat would keeps the engine at 90°C. Not sure if its worth it.

Most importat is that the engine goes above 70°C as that is needed to regenerate, and the time it needs to get up to operating temp as running long at low temps it engine isn't running optimal with higer wear.

Originally Posted by Beastlee
Max temp reached was 87 deg very briefly but then it settles back down to 82 for most of the time.
Revving mine at standstill simply cools it back down, it was at 84 when I pulled up and after 30s of revving it wnt down to 82. At least I know the water pump works

Beastlee, 82 is low.

Tom_il 80 is also low, and revving at a standstill is not a fair test, there isn't any air cooling the radiator!

Both of you change your main thermostats, it is definitely worth it. 90C is important for fuel consumption, and the main stat is important for getting the engine up to temperature as quickly as possible.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:19 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
Beastlee, 82 is low.

Tom_il 80 is also low, and revving at a standstill is not a fair test, there isn't any air cooling the radiator!

Both of you change your main thermostats, it is definitely worth it. 90C is important for fuel consumption, and the main stat is important for getting the engine up to temperature as quickly as possible.
Yeah I know that standstill isn't fair, it was only to check.

I am not sure how big issue this is as my father and brothers car a C-Max and Mondeo also run around 80°C. Both are diesels. Mine reaches the 80°C fairly quickly doubt it will go faster with a new thermostat.
Are we sure a new thermostat stays at 90°C after a few months ?

Seeing that I can only reach 90°C when standing still and my engine goes up to 80°C quickly I doubt there is a leak through the thermostat when it is closed.

Quick Reply: problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.