E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I have just read this long topic. I think it very useful.

Last week I have changed the 2 thermostat and now, my car reach the normal temperature (91ºC). So I have a problem, as you can see in pictures; I have 8 white striped instead of 4 striped that it used to be. Does anyone know why?

Sorry for my english.

Thank you very much in advance.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Members

Hi All,

Appreciate this topic is well over a year old but wanted to know if there were any firm conclusions from those people taht replaced therms in terms of whether the thermostat went down to the 80's after a year old?

My temperature is 79-81 regardless of motorway or stop start, and if I accelerate hard (say foot to the floor in1st) this can drop back to 73 in a few seconds, only to go back to 80 in another few seconds more.

Doesn't sound like the quick check of the EGR therm is that quick, and I'm not particuarly confident at DIY on my car. Any views on whether one or the other therm has gone?

Car is 525d pre lci and on a motorway run I can get 40-45mpg on a round trip if I take it steady.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 03-16-2012, 05:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

[font="'Comic Sans MS"]With faulty main stat and faulty egr stat, my temps stayed at 65-80C. [/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]
[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]After replacing egr stat the temp never fell below 83C.[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]
[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]After replacing main, temp never falls below 90C.[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]
[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]Here's the acid test: do 60mph in 6th gear (if auto then use manual mode to go into M6), and then report back what temperature it sticks at. Try and do this over a level motorway/carriageway (it's hard to spot an incline, and if you are going uphill you will get a higher reading for the temperature your e60 sticks at).[/font]
Old 03-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]With faulty main stat and faulty egr stat, my temps stayed at 65-80C. [/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]
[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]After replacing egr stat the temp never fell below 83C.[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]
[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]After replacing main, temp never falls below 90C.[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]
[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]Here's the acid test: do 60mph in 6th gear (if auto then use manual mode to go into M6), and then report back what temperature it sticks at. Try and do this over a level motorway/carriageway (it's hard to spot an incline, and if you are going uphill you will get a higher reading for the temperature your e60 sticks at).[/font]
Hi,

Its 79-80 at virtually any constant speed on the flat at 20 minutes and anything over. And its a manual.

What do you reckon?

Steve
Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 PM
Members

The easy stat to remove/replace is the EGR stat. One way to test if it works is to remove it and try to blow through it. If you can, it's broken and time to replace it; otherwise it is most likely the main thermostat.

in my case, I just changed both... Temp went up from 70-80 to a stable 92.

Liam
Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Members

Thanks, will get the car booked in.

How long ago did you replace your thermostat and is it still operating at the correct temperature?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Senior Members

[font="'Comic Sans MS"]Definitely get the main stat changed.[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]
[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]Do you think you can handle this:
[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]
[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]
[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]?[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]
[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]If yes, then change main, see results and change this if needed (because it's a 20 min job- literally! btw, where are you based?)[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]If no, then change both, as it shouldn't cost extra because it only adds 3-4 mins to the total job of changing the main anyway. Based on member Saint's results, you should be able to get away with changing just the main.[/font]
Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 AM
Members

That video is for the egr stat, is there a tutorial for the main?
Old 03-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]If yes, then change main, see results and change this if needed (because it's a 20 min job- literally! btw, where are you based?)[/font]
[font="'Comic Sans MS"]If no, then change both, as it shouldn't cost extra because it only adds 3-4 mins to the total job of changing the main anyway. Based on member Saint's results, you should be able to get away with changing just the main.[/font]
I'm in Derby mate.

Have been quoted £206 for both at an indy. How does this sound?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Mother
That video is for the egr stat, is there a tutorial for the main?

There isn't a video, but there are written instructions here or use the search function, I believe there are other instructions too. Nice car btw mate, is that yours? I love the two-tone wheels and roof, the black really brings out the white!

Originally Posted by steve.r
I'm in Derby mate.

Have been quoted £206 for both at an indy. How does this sound?

Thanks,

Steve
Well let's do the maths-
£30-35 for the egr stat
£45 for the main
£20 for 5 litres of new coolant (the red one (it's longer lasting))
Labor should be 2 hours worth- so whatever that is (mine charges £45/hour). If the person takes longer than 2 hours to do it, he's inexperienced, and it's his fault for being slow. £200 sounds about right, just factor in the increase/decrease for the labor charge.

The job took me 2 hours to do but that was including cleaning the EGR valve which was FULL of gunk and took about 25 mins of good scrubbing + sh!t loads of brake cleaner!

Quick Reply: problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.