E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 05:23 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schulrog' post='790628' date='Feb 11 2009, 11:01 PM
did you go to your SA and smack him across the face with the old thermostat? lol
havn't had time yet.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:48 AM
Members

Talking

For those who want to replace the EGR thermostat here is a short howto;

PLEASE NOT THAT IF YOU DECIDE TO USE MY INSTRUCTIONS IT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK! EVENTHOUGH THE RISK OF THIS
PROCEDURE IS VERY LOW.....

The EGR thermostat is a black plastic tube stuck between the radiator and the engine. It is represented as #8 in this picture (it would be wise to also replace the rubber O ring);

To access the EGR thermostat you have to take of the engines acoustic cover. Simply unbolt and take off.

problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.-bmw1.jpg

Then you will clearly see the EGR thermostat. Take off the hose clamp and the hose and unbolt the EGR thermostat. The bolt nearest to the engineblock is covered by a tube. this tube is a vacuum hose (red dotted line in pictures) which powers your brakes. To be able to access the back bolt I unscrewed the vacuum hose (torx screw). I have indicated the vacuum hose screw with a red arrow. DO NOT FORGET TO RECONNECT THE VACUUM HOSE AFTER YOU HAVE REPLACED THE EGR THERMOSTAT OR YOU WILL NOT HAVE POWERED BRAKES AND YOU WILL HAVE TO PUSH THE BAKE PEDAL DAMNED HARD TO COME TO A STOP (DON'T ASK HOW I KNOW... ).

problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.-bmw3.jpg

With the vacuum hose you will just have enough room to push the vacuum hose out of the way. Now you can unbolt the back bolt of the EGR thermostat. Now replace the thermostat and put everything back in the reversed order. As a check you could try to blow through your old EGR thermostat. If you manage to blow through it it is indeed broken and as a result is was letting collant into the radiator even at low engine temps.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Members

What a brilliant topic - I've just discovered I have exactly the same problem re operating temperature.
Mine is booked in at the dealer's in 2 weeks time - I think I'll print this and take it with me!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

So how do you get in to the hidden menu to check engine temp?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kadafi39' post='791292' date='Feb 12 2009, 05:59 PM
Using the search will help. Terms; hidden obd menu.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Members

One small request; If after reading this topic you find out that your car does not reach operating temp due to a broken EGR thermostat will you please let me know. I have the feeling that without a temp gauge in the dashboard a lot of BMW 5 series are driving around with engines at sub operating temperatures.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kadafi39' post='791292' date='Feb 12 2009, 04:59 PM
To find Temperature in hidden menu (530D);

1) Turn ignition key to position 1 (Radio)
2) Press and hold Trip button until 01.__ appears.
3) The car?s chassis number will soon appear below this ? add the last five digits together, and remember this total for later on.
4) Press and hold Trip button to get 01.__ again, and then keep pressing the Trip button repeatedly until menu ?19 Lock On? appears
5) As soon as 00 appears below it, immediately keep pressing the Trip button until this figure reads the same as the total number of the last five digits of the chassis number which were added together previously
6) Wait momentarily until menu 01.__ appears, and then press the Trip to get menu 07.__, and the temp. will appear.
If the car is started from this menu, you will get a continuous temp. read-out until the ignition is switched off again.

(My thanks to smarty156 for his original instructions).
Old 02-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by eddie12' post='791459' date='Feb 12 2009, 08:54 PM
To find Temperature in hidden menu (530D);

1) Turn ignition key to position 1 (Radio)
2) Press and hold Trip button until 01.__ appears.
3) The car?s chassis number will soon appear below this ? add the last five digits together, and remember this total for later on.
4) Press and hold Trip button to get 01.__ again, and then keep pressing the Trip button repeatedly until menu ?19 Lock On? appears
5) As soon as 00 appears below it, immediately keep pressing the Trip button until this figure reads the same as the total number of the last five digits of the chassis number which were added together previously
6) Wait momentarily until menu 1.00 appears, and then press the Trip to get menu 7.00, and the temp. will appear.
If the car is started from this menu, you will get a continuous temp. read-out until the ignition is switched off again.

(My thanks to smarty156 for his original instructions).
Thx for the writeup.

Small addition;

1) Ignition can also be in pos II (engine running)
6) Wait untill 01.__ appears (not 1.00) and skip to 07.__ also readout will stay if you switch off angine as long as you keep key at pos II after shutting down engine.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mini_me' post='791478' date='Feb 12 2009, 08:21 PM
Thx for the writeup.

Small addition;

1) Ignition can also be in pos II (engine running)
6) Wait untill 01.__ appears (not 1.00) and skip to 07.__ also readout will stay if you switch off angine as long as you keep key at pos II after shutting down engine.
Thanks for the corrections 'mini me'. I've edited my number "6", just in case someone happens to copy it out.
(I couldn't get the menu from posn. II, hence the reason for just indicating posn.I).
Old 02-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

Thank you for the instructions Eddie12

Quick Reply: problem solved; engine 525D not reaching operating temperature.