E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with new iPod Classic and 6FL

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I just tried a new iPod Classic (amazing how the 80 Gbyte model is thinner than my 30 Gbyte prev. generation iPod) and - after it's interrupted (phone call for example) it seems to "skip" (in other words there is an interruption every few seconds although the timer seems to continue).

I haven't tested it extensively but it clears when I unplug and replug it in.

My car has Progman 27.x (not sure but think 01) - early October 2007 build.

Anyone else using an iPod Classic?

(P.S. yes I am using the new BMW iPod cable)
Old 03-08-2008, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I am using an 80gb ipod, not sure if it's a "classic" I got it x-mas of 2006. I also am using the oem ipod interface cable, no problems with my ipod when interuppted via phone calls or media change....but sometimes when I first put the ipod into the compartment the screen will swtich between the check/connected screen and ipod home screen. I usually have to just reposition the ipod and remove and insert the plug in to make sure the screen stays on the connected/check prompt. I find the middle compartment very tight with both the ipod plugged in and the usb cord itself, the usb cord is long and the ipod is somewhat big (when it's in the small center console compartment) so the cord sometimes gets disconnected slightly...
Old 03-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Jonathan,

I had the same problem. Took it in to my dealer who updated my iDrive version -- since then, smooth sailing. I think this is a known issue with earlier versions of the iDrive system.

Have your SA look at it -- a reprog should have you up n rolling! Plus -- you'll get the new software which lets you come back to the same screen as before when you shut your car off.... Now that's a twofur if I've ever seen one!

VC
Old 03-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by geneatals' post='541677' date='Mar 8 2008, 08:42 PM
I am using an 80gb ipod, not sure if it's a "classic" I got it x-mas of 2006.
Then it's not an iPod Classic. The iPod Classic is a new model released in the past 5-6 mos.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='541680' date='Mar 8 2008, 08:52 PM
Jonathan,

I had the same problem. Took it in to my dealer who updated my iDrive version -- since then, smooth sailing. I think this is a known issue with earlier versions of the iDrive system.

Have your SA look at it -- a reprog should have you up n rolling! Plus -- you'll get the new software which lets you come back to the same screen as before when you shut your car off.... Now that's a twofur if I've ever seen one!

VC
Thanks.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking but since Progman updates have the nasty habit of blowing up modules, I was holding off for the screen problem and I only finally got around to actually taking the iPod Classic out of the box in the past week.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='541680' date='Mar 8 2008, 08:52 PM
you'll get the new software which lets you come back to the same screen as before when you shut your car off.... Now that's a twofur if I've ever seen one!
Are you talking about the problem where the screen for the track you are playing in the iPod comes back (without good reason) without the rest of what should be there?

Or about the entire iDrive opening where you left it? If it's the latter, my cars have been doing that for a while - it' s nothing new. If it's the former. I was not sure that this was fixed yet.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

Red face

UPDATE ON SKIPPING PROBLEM

I finally had time to focus on this issue for more than a few minutes.

In the interim, I spoke with a product engineer at BMW who had not run into reports of a skipping problem before (and there was nothing documented in BMW's bulletins or notes about this either - they checked, very carefully).

I also - even though it seemed like a car issue (because it worked perfectly NOT plugged into the car) - checked with Apple today. They had no reports on this either but we agreed that reformatting the iPod Classic seemed like an easy thing to try as a possible fix.

I am happy to report that reformatting remedied the problem.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='563976' date='Apr 18 2008, 08:50 PM
UPDATE ON SKIPPING PROBLEM

I finally had time to focus on this issue for more than a few minutes.

In the interim, I spoke with a product engineer at BMW who had not run into reports of a skipping problem before (and there was nothing documented in BMW's bulletins or notes about this either - they checked, very carefully).

I also - even though it seemed like a car issue (because it worked perfectly NOT plugged into the car) - checked with Apple today. They had no reports on this either but we agreed that reformatting the iPod Classic seemed like an easy thing to try as a possible fix.

I am happy to report that reformatting remedied the problem.
One concern I have with the iPod models with hard drives is disk errors caused by vibrations and motion. A salesman recommended the Nano for jogging, biking, and on the road.

I wonder if your issue was a minor disk issue. A reformat could fix that.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='563979' date='Apr 18 2008, 09:04 PM
One concern I have with the iPod models with hard drives is disk errors caused by vibrations and motion. A salesman recommended the Nano for jogging, biking, and on the road.

I wonder if your issue was a minor disk issue. A reformat could fix that.
In terms of a formatting error, yes, that's probably what it could have been.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

Red face

NEW INFORMATION

The problem was not resolved.

Today I ran with the new iPod and found that it started to skip after making a phone call.

Specifically, I used one of the Favourites buttons to do it (it didn't skip after making a phone call with Voice Command).

Apple will send me another iPod to test with and I've e-mailed the product engineer at BMW in charge of iPod integration these specifics.

Back to square one.

Quick Reply: Problem with new iPod Classic and 6FL