E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

problem with in-dash DVD player

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Hi

I wonder if one of you knowledgeables would be kind enough to assist me with the following.

I was playing a MP3 DVD on the in-dash DVD player (the one used for NAV DVD) in my recently acquired e60 (525d se registered in the UK 03.2004 ) and have run into some trouble. At first, the DVD loaded up OK and started to play the tracks but after about 5 mins the idrive screen displayed an error saying the it was unable to read the track data. Thinking that the DVD could've picked up dust. i ejected the DVD - gave a it a good wipe and loaded it back into the DVD slot. As was in the previous attempt the DVD loaded - played the track for a few mintutes and reported the same error. But when i tried to get the DVD out using the eject button, the player failed respond.

Becoming desperate to get the DVD out I pressed the eject button a couple of times and every time the button was pressed, i-drive screed displays the directory structure of the stuck DVD - attempts to play the track that was being played before the error appeared and then displays the same error but would not let the DVD out. I've attempted turning the ignition off/on in the hope that it may forget the previous load error but no joy. Even tried loading an audio CD in the 6 CD changer magazine in order to get the audio system to stop reading the DVD in in-dash slot and play the audio CD instead but to no avail as it simply plays the audio CD but as soon as i press the eject button it displays the same error and fails to eject the DVD.

What can i do to get the DVD out without having to visit the local dealer. I called the dealer earlier in the week to enquire about something different (see if the blue tooth kit was pre-wired or not) and was told that they would charge in the region of ?100+ VAT to even diagnose the error or current set-up before they would even attempt to fix any issues (charged extra of course)

Please can someone put me out of my misery?

Thanks in advance,
-E

ps// I wish I had bumped into this wonderful forum prior to my proud purchase as i would've been more informed of the choices that i could've made when selecting the car. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing to have ;-(
Old 08-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Members

I had 3 CDs stuck in my in-dash player, and i can't blame the kids or wife. My very Bad.
This is what i did (and my player still works... )
If you are familiar with in-dash units, it's straightforward, pull off the wood trim, pull off knobs to heater controls, unscrew the screws you can see, and manuever the heater controls out of way but don't completely remove. Now start on the DVD or CD player, but keep the battery power attached. You must remove a metal plate to see the mechanisim. Carefully hit eject button and watch the mechanisim. When you see the disc change elevation, that's the time to strike. You have to go in and physically pull out or guide the disk out - and don't expect to play it ever again. After you get the disk out, the next puzzle is to figure out how to re-install the metal faceplate while having the flat power cable attached thru it's routing hole. not easy but doable. You will need to run the wire thru the hole, attach the wire to the board (inside the unit), then re-attach the metal plate. had to do this several times before i got it right and didn't pull the cable off the board.

It's at least 1 hour of your time, and perhaps a competent after-market shop might charge less than the dealer, suggest you get a customer referral (BMW vehicle of course) before contracting with them. Otherwise the dealer is your next option. One other option, maybe just replace it (check craig's list or ebay ? ). If you replace it, you will dis-connect all power, don't know if you will need to see the dealer for a s/w update/check.

Good Luck, mike
Old 08-28-2008, 05:05 AM
Members

Mike, Many thanks for the comprehensive run through.

But it certainly put the fear of god in me (if i didn't have that before) and I shall not even attempt to bodge me beloved and yes, you've guessed it right - I haven't the foggiest clue about taking apart dash fitments.

However, I am happy report that i did eventually manage to pull the disc out this morning prior to turning the ignition on after a part night rest (i was twiddling with every knob (;-)) and button until 12.30 last night). what i realised and read somewhere is that the in-dash player and other audio bits remain active for the 1st 20mins from turning the ignition off. so when i attempted the recovery effort this morning the car had remained off for more than 20 mins and i hadn't turned the ignition on to allow the disc to auto load. so when i pressed the eject (not that kind of eject ;-) ) hey presto out came the elusive disc.

Thanks again for your help.

-e