E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problem with buyer. Need advice. Long story. Lots of reading

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is one crazy story. I hope you don't take this personally, but you went so far above and beyond it almost seems you were completely desperate to unload the car, even though you said you had other sellers lined up. Next time, do yourself a favor and remember all the things you experienced in this sale and make sure you don't do it again.

For example:
- paying out of pocket to make the car the condition the buyer wants
- agreeing to sell the car without accepting a deposit
- answering calls and texts from the buyer who seems to portray symptoms of buyer's remorse
- selling the car without a bill of sale (you didn't mention having one, which would ultimately protect you legally from accusations and liability after the transaction)
- dealing with a Canadian (JK!!!!)

So after ALL that, you came out with $8,000 in your pocket and no car yet. At that price, you might as well have traded it in to the dealer and worked a better deal towards the M5 but what's done is done. Well in the end, not everything we do makes sense... but hopefully you learned something from this experience!!
Old 03-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by redEYEjedi
That is one crazy story. I hope you don't take this personally, but you went so far above and beyond it almost seems you were completely desperate to unload the car, even though you said you had other sellers lined up. Next time, do yourself a favor and remember all the things you experienced in this sale and make sure you don't do it again.

For example:
- paying out of pocket to make the car the condition the buyer wants
- agreeing to sell the car without accepting a deposit
- answering calls and texts from the buyer who seems to portray symptoms of buyer's remorse
- selling the car without a bill of sale (you didn't mention having one, which would ultimately protect you legally from accusations and liability after the transaction)
- dealing with a Canadian (JK!!!!)

So after ALL that, you came out with $8,000 in your pocket and no car yet. At that price, you might as well have traded it in to the dealer and worked a better deal towards the M5 but what's done is done. Well in the end, not everything we do makes sense... but hopefully you learned something from this experience!!
Definitely a learning experience. First time selling a car for me and it's international buyer.

There is a bill of sale. I guess I forgot to mention that on the OP.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
Thanks everyone. I just re-read his text. He said that his BMW said "Probably the steering rack needs to be replaced." So it looks like a assumption. I told him to email me the service report stating the steering rack needs replacing. Neither Geico or my BMW said anything about the steering rack. Looks like he's trying to get money out of me. I told him yesterday to open a dispute, contact eBay, my SA at BMW or file a complaint anywhere he pleases. I got documents and receipts. My guess is he's trying to get some money to offset the fines and fees when the car got seized. Don't think there can be a dispute with Paypal. We didn't even go through Paypal. He didn't even leave a deposit with Paypal. So for this whole process, I didn't even get a deposit from him prior to selling the car.

When he called the first time. I heard his kids in the background. I told him my exhaust was loud and offered to swap the exhaust for a quieter one. I was nice enough to spend $200-300 to swap the muffler. That's after I agreed to take $1k off the listing.
Dudes, you shouldn't be so quick to tell the buyer to open a dispute. You should understand that tensions tend to run high, when people buy cars. Especially, when you have a car that is as expensive to fix, as the 545. I honestly believe he has ABSOLUTELY no ground to claim anything from you - you've done everything. But you should at least have tried to explain it to the buyer, that you're tapped out - you've done everything you could've. And if he/she still believes that you mistreated them, then they have no case, because you can prove all the moneys you've invested into selling the car. Also, mention to him that you have no idea what caused the lights to come on - maybe whoever was driving the car, did several burnouts and doughnuts, hit something - who the heck knows by now?! SO, like everyone else, I say forget him. And if he's on this forum, reading this, he should understand that people will not allow themselves to be taken advantage of, just because he wills it so. You have to be a big boy too

Originally Posted by FRONJONI
I would feel for him. Except it sounds sounds like he is showing absolutely no respect for you, the seller. The last thing I would do is pressure the person I am buying my car from. Buyer's always think just because they're paying for a car, they are the boss. It's not like he's doing you a favor, you ARE giving him your car in exchange. If he can't reciprocate the consideration and kindness you showed him, well, there's only two words that come to mind.....

F*** HIM

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
Definitely a learning experience. First time selling a car for me and it's international buyer.

There is a bill of sale. I guess I forgot to mention that on the OP.
He can still escalate through ebay and create problems for you, but try to just explain to him that he's being a douche and that you see it. Tell him, he's gonna lose this battle and you'll also sue him later for loss of business, or smth like that. Just threaten him back in a way, that he wouldn't be able to retort - that is, if he's being a dick.