E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else experienced a problem with the brakes seeming to grab at the end of a stop. It is very hard to make a smooth stop because the brakes seem to grab at the end leading to an abrupt stop.

Very hard to modulate the brakes.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

not here. it would be good if you mention info about your car, especialy year and mileage...... also when was your last break service due??
Old 01-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='224278' date='Jan 14 2006, 04:52 PM
not here. it would be good if you mention info about your car, especialy year and mileage...... also when was your last break service due??
It's a 2005 545i with sports package and active steering.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Sing' post='224409
It's a 2005 545i with sports package and active steering.
[/quote]

Same here, it's a common issue and partly what led to the addition of comfort stop on the 06 models. With the 05's and earlier (especially the 545 which has massive brakes) it's not easy to avoid the grab at the end of the stop. If you release brake pressure a little right at end it does make a difference and smooths out the stop.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

I think it's more of a metter of training your foot and getting used to the brakes rather than the car itself. I agree when I got the car it was harder to brake smoothly. However, slowly releasing pressure on th brake pedal as you slow down helps eliminate the issue.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

you say it is common issue??? hm not that I would know about it.....
mine breaks smooth as it can.... the only issue related to breaks and that is an actually a very common issue is that my breaks squeak as hell while almost at stop.... this is due to the break pads sensors.....
Old 01-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='224469' date='Jan 15 2006, 06:08 AM
mine breaks smooth as it can.... the only issue related to breaks and that is an actually a very common issue is that my breaks squeak as hell while almost at stop.... this is due to the break pads sensors.....
I too confirm it is more of training ur foot than the car. If u say, slow down quite fast but not brutal from 60km/h and u maintain the pressure constantly then u'll certainly come to resonable hard stop.

About the breaks squeaks i found out that, when i drove my car in summer when temp went over 30degrees C most of the time the breaks would squeak. Now that i drive my car in way lower temperatures the brakes don't squeak anymore. I think around 20 degrees down or so....
Old 01-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

I have noticed this problem as well. I am super smooth stopping my Boxster and all previous cars (Jeep Grand Cherokee, 3 Series, etc). But my 545 is a lot more difficult to stop smoothly. I test drove a 2006 530i and it didn't have this problem.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='224469' date='Jan 15 2006, 03:08 AM
There have been quite a few posts on here on this topic. Why else would BMW have added comfort stop to the 06's? Also, the 545 has bigger brakes than the 530 so maybe that's why yours may be smoother than mine and the original poster's.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Guys I hate to tell you, but I have this problem BADLY on my 550 (with comfort stop). I was just about to start a new post when did a search and found Sing's post.

I simply can not get this car to stop smoothly. I thought the comfort stop was trying to do the work and negating my slight pressure release on the brake pedal at the last minute. But yesterday, no matter how hard I tried, I simply could not get the car to stop smoothly. This is by far my biggest irritation with the car (the constant drag by the transmission being the 2nd issue). I'm hoping that as the miles build both of these go away (I'm only at 160 miles right now).

Of note, I noticed this behavior on both 550s I test drove.

Quick Reply: Problem with Brakes