E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problem with Autolighting Feature

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 01:00 PM
edl
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i born July 13, 2005, Jet Black with Black Dakota leather interior, 6 speed manual transmission, with sports package, premium sound package, cold weather package and satellite prep...persistence overcomes resistence!

I have set daytime running lights to be on, which when in auto mode and in the day, should be daytime running lights (the non-xenon) and then when it gets dark enough, should kick the xenon's on - my problem is that it kicks the xenons on in the morning (brigh sun) and if i turn the ignition off and then on (or park for a few minutes at starbucks), it returns to normal (i.e., daytimes come on during day not xenons) - let the car sit long enough, the problem reappears.

Any help with this mystery?!

thanks,
edl
Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are not alone...
As you describe, If you park inside the lights come on but don't turn off after exiting the garage. This is a known problem and I think some software version may have improved but not eliminated the issue.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:31 PM
edl
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i born July 13, 2005, Jet Black with Black Dakota leather interior, 6 speed manual transmission, with sports package, premium sound package, cold weather package and satellite prep...persistence overcomes resistence!

shame...I of course was used to the lights coming on in the garage in the 04 530 i just traded in, but they faithfully went off when i pulled out into the light - anyone out there know what upgrade i should be asking for? since the build date of the car is July 13, 2005, seems odd that it doesn't have the latest software...do upgrades come that frequently?

thanks,
edl
Old 08-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by edl' date='Aug 11 2005, 04:00 PM
I have set daytime running lights to be on, which when in auto mode and in the day, should be daytime running lights (the non-xenon) and then when it gets dark enough, should kick the xenon's on - my problem is that it kicks the xenons on in the morning (brigh sun) and if i turn the ignition off and then on (or park for a few minutes at starbucks), it returns to normal (i.e., daytimes come on during day not xenons) - let the car sit long enough, the problem reappears.

Any help with this mystery?!

thanks,
edl
[snapback]158406[/snapback]
Had the same problem.What are your auto headlamps set at ? Nornal-Sensitive or Very Senistive.I had the dealer reset them at Very Sensitive and it helped them some what. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 08-11-2005, 02:54 PM
edl
Members

Vern, thanks much - I didn't know there were settings - but one question, wouldn't "more sensitive" mean the lights would come on quicker? If so, maybe the problem is that they are set to more sensitive and if backed off to normal they won't come on (or stay one once out of the garage). Any other experiences out there? Apart from the setting, is there a software issue?

thanks,
edl
Old 08-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Originally Posted by edl' date='Aug 11 2005, 05:54 PM
Vern, thanks much - I didn't know there were settings - but one question, wouldn't "more sensitive" mean the lights would come on quicker?? If so, maybe the problem is that they are set to more sensitive and if backed off to normal they won't come on (or stay one once out of the garage).? Any other experiences out there? Apart from the setting, is there a software issue?

thanks,
edl
[snapback]158460[/snapback]
No, "more sensitive" means its more sensitive to light, so will stay off longer, and go off quiker
Old 08-12-2005, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by edl' date='Aug 11 2005, 05:54 PM
Vern, thanks much - I didn't know there were settings - but one question, wouldn't "more sensitive" mean the lights would come on quicker?? If so, maybe the problem is that they are set to more sensitive and if backed off to normal they won't come on (or stay one once out of the garage).? Any other experiences out there? Apart from the setting, is there a software issue?

thanks,
edl
[snapback]158460[/snapback]
E60SPEED has the right answer.The only thing I noticed is when I back out of the garage and the Auto Headlights are on when you travel on a street that has a lot of trees and you are constantly going from sun light to shade and back and forth the head lights stay on until you get into a area that is all sun light for a period of time then they go out.This is normal.Hope this helps.
cheers
vern
Old 08-12-2005, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

My 545i is in the shop right now, and the X3 loaner I am driving right now has the same problem.

Adjusting the sensitivity (dealer only) will not cure the problem. I am on 16.1 CIP now and it still have this problem. I have noticed that if you pass through a street with successive trees will permanently turn on your lights. The on-off effect (sun-shade) may make the sensor to think that your wipers must be on, indicating a foul weather. Thus the lights become permanent. This is pure speculation though.