E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Prob w/paint on my new 545

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 07:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

My car was backed into in Italy after Euro Delievery. It had a 6" long deep scratch in the bumper. I insisted that the VPC do it. They grumbled about it, but it was done that way. The result was flawless. Cars do get dinged up in transit and the VPC routinely fixes them. They or their body shop use the best paint and have the expertise to do it properly. They do a lot of those repairs. Meanwhile my local dealer's bodyshop who fixed my e39 4 times used paint that was "equal" to BMW factory paint, but not the "original BMW" paint. If the sun was just right and you looked just right you could see a slight difference on my e39.

If it were me, I would insist that the VPC do it, contingent upon your approval of the finished car. If you are not 100 percent happy, they will replace the car. I believe that you will be happy with the end product provided it is done by the VPC. Also you need an e60 loaner while they do the work. If you elect to go this route, it is important to do this in writing.

Good luck!
Old 10-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I don't understand they didn't see it in the factory. When the car is painted it is checked to see if the paint is done correctly.. Maybe something happened on the ship to the US???
Old 10-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Senior Members

Don't accept a repainted car. The paint will not be baked on as well and will not be the same as a new car. It's obvious the car was defective before you bought it. It was not fit for its intended purpose. They can repair it but it won't put you back to the same as new. It's not the same as replace a brake pad or head light bracket where the part is same as new.

Unless they paint the whole car you will be able to feel the difference from the manufacturers finish and the repainted finish. After the warranty expires, who will cover the cost of repainting your car, if necessary?

I had one of my rims repainted after the dealer thrashed it during a tire change and while it looks the same from a distance, it's not as easy to clean and I can feel the difference when cleaning it.

If you do accept the repainted panels, request a special 7 year extended warranty (in writing) from BMW and the dealer to cover the paint.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Holy sh*t this looks awfull.. How is it possible no one at the factory or the dealership noticed this..

The guy doing the predelivery wax should have seen this!!! This is unbelievable.. It isn't just a bit bad painted but very very bad painted...

I wouldn't accept this and ask the dealer for another car (if they can)...
Old 10-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 545Ai, Silver grey, black, poplar, Sport Pkg, Logic 7, Comfort seats, Nav, HUD, PDC, rear shades, and satellite radio

There is no way I would accept a 60K and me pay for their incompetence. No matter how well the repair looks the value of the car is going to be substantially reduced. It is almost like they are trying to give you a car that they had an accident in and tell you it will look good when they fix it. On trade-in down the line one of the first things they are going to do is run a meter over and see that the car was repainted. The value of the car is without a doubt effected. They should be profusely apologetic, and you should be in the driver seat for the compensation you get. Be it a large discount on the car, buy it back and give you another one at a discount. They would be lucky that you would get another one, after the way the condition of the first one.

I personally would return it, ask for a loaner for the intervening time, and order another one to specs I wanted. The BMWNA should assist the dealership in making sure they are suitably motivated.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by firewired' date='Oct 23 2004, 09:41 AM
There is no way I would accept a 60K and me pay for their incompetence.? No matter how well the repair looks the value of the car is going to be substantially reduced.? It is almost like they are trying to give you a car that they had an accident in and tell you it will look good when they fix it.? On trade-in down the line one of the first things they are going to do is run a meter over and see that the car was repainted.? The value of the car is without a doubt effected. They should be profusely apologetic, and you should be in the driver seat for the compensation you get.? Be it a large discount on the car, buy it back and give you another one at a discount.? They would be lucky that you would get another one, after the way the condition of the first one.

I personally would return it, ask for a loaner for the intervening time, and order another one to specs I wanted.? The BMWNA should assist the dealership in making sure they are suitably motivated.
[snapback]48434[/snapback]
sorry to hear that, ch7656 :'(. i totally agree w/firewired and he pretty much said everything that i wanted to say . i won't take a brand new car w/lousy paint job . ask for a replacement and compensation due to the problems/troubles that they created. good luck and hope to hear some good news from you soon .
Old 10-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Guest_marcus545_*

If getting a new replacement vehicle doesn't work for either you or BMW, I would ask them to re-paint the car and negotiate some kind of compensation to you for the "loss of value" associated with the repainting. Perhaps you can get BMWNA to give you a free 6 year-100K warranty and/or an extended maintenance plan rather than cashh compensation. That will add back value to compensate you. Frankly, I think I'd rather have 100K warranty on my 5er considering how much $$ it might cost me after the warranty expires...this is one very complex car with lots of things to potentially go wrong.

I have the same Titanium Silver and I thought I noticed splotchy paint too...although nothing super serious and it could be my eyes and the way the light hits the car....I'll check a little closer the next time I wash it. (2004 E60 545)

marcus
Old 10-23-2004, 03:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

More pics...
Attached Thumbnails Prob w/paint on my new 545-545_paint__pics_005__medium_.jpg   Prob w/paint on my new 545-545_paint__pics_006__medium_.jpg   Prob w/paint on my new 545-545_paint__pics_007__medium_.jpg   Prob w/paint on my new 545-545_paint__pics_008__medium_.jpg  
Old 10-23-2004, 06:50 PM
Contributors

If only a part of the car is painted, even if perfectly matched today, in a couple of years the finish will differ between old and new. (experience tells me this) A MAJOR law suit was lost by a BMW dealer in Alabma for just this kind of paint problem where the dealer repainted a car sold as new and didn't tell the owner. Damages were awarded by the court of $2 million.
I would not have accepted the car and I would not keep this one unless major compensation was given.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:04 PM

The car was not delivered to BMW's specifications, so you are within your rights to reject it. It is very doubtful that any of the panels that require repainting will ever conform to BMW's specifications. If either the dealer or BMWNA try to argue that it meets specification, ask them to show you any "comparable" vehicles of any model (3, 5, 6, 7, X3, X5, or Z4) with such paint deficiencies -- they will not be able to do so (if your pictures accurately reflect the poor quality paint).

Please have BMW provide you with another identically configured model -- if none is readily available, then renegotiate the purchase for existing inventory (if you desire).

Quick Reply: Prob w/paint on my new 545