E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pretty much the worst 24 hours ever

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Black. Premium, Sport, Winter packages. PDC.

Stay positive my E60 brother. You have a family here as well. Take care.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Contributors

Keep your car, you're going to save more money doing so than flipping that one and jumping into another.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 535i: Jet Black, Black Dakota leather, Sport Auto, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance Plus, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Seating, M Sport, Premium, Technology, Rear Sunshades, Auto High Beams, BMW Assist w/enhanced BT and USB.

Originally Posted by jayarras
2. Does your bimmer really cost you that much more to run than any replacements you can find? Try giving up something else first. That car gives you joy, and you need some of that right now.

I agree with this statement! Don't make any rash decisions until absolutely necessary. You never know what may be just around the corner.

Best of luck to you.......
Old 12-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I won't go into many details, but I do/don't feel your pain. I do feel your pain because I was in that situation many years ago with 3 houses, 2 cars and bailing renters. Sucks.
But, I assessed the situation and decided I will never spend what I don't have and I will never rely on anyone or anything again (Social Security, Pensions, 401K, ...or a corporate job)
Decide what you are good at and have a passion for. You do not HAVE to have passion but it helps you to keep burning. With that out of the way, start thinking about your business.

Not many years later I was able to actually make my situation into something unbelievable....to where I can just slack off and feel comfortable. Sure I still have a 9-5 type of thing because it's a free paycheck. Who wouldn't want that? But i'm in the same boat I was in many years ago except now I have no bills and everything that 9-5 gives me goes to my pocket and charity.

So I say sell the car, obviously don't take lowball offers but time to put it in reverse and backup a bit. Your wife will probably agree while you'll be blindsided by people that cannot see from your angle. You are thankful for all the right reasons so hang in there and start getting back down to earth and things will become more clear on the direction you should take. On the other hand I don't feel your pain because I'm not in your situation....sure I remember how it feels but I am not you. No one can understand what the next man feels like. It's impossible. However, your wife will be your best consultation. Things happen as they are supposed to and perhaps you will use your sense of right/wrong/better/worse to make this a better and right situation. If it strengthens your family alone, wasn't that well worth it? Can you put a price on that? I wish you the best.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thank you for the kind words and positive support. I work(ed) on Wall Street, and yes, I am sure that something else will come up, especially as people get their bonuses and jump ship.

I generally do not make rash decisions, but when you have a luxury item, like a car that sits in the garage M-F, it stands out as the most obvious (un)necessity. That said, I think some of you are right to take a deep breath, enjoy the holidays with loved one, and then reevaluate things.

Plus, what other car can do what my e60 does? For 26k anyway!