E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pre purchase/Deposit saga

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

Found a low mileage CPO 06 530 in Miami,FL. Told the Indy dealer i need the paint meter reading on the car and was told he doesn't have one but to trust him that the car does not have any re-paint done to it. Few days later i was told there was another party interested and coming over that evening to look at the car.After talking about the PPI and the paint meter requirement i made a $1000 deposit through paypal via CC.
The car goes to BMW south in Miami for a PPI and told explicitly to the adviser that i want the body shop check the paint via paint meter. The PPI done with no issues also stating no evidence of any body damage found but did not have any numbers on the paint reading.
Few days later (this past wednesday)i booked a one way flight and flew to FL i,e yesterday and landed around 12.30 PM.One of the partners picked me up and took me to the store/warehouse where they keep some of the cars. The first thing i wanted to see was the vin tag on the trunk underneath the Lic Plate and what do i see.... It's missing. Man was i mad ? The guy said they don't have them there. I took him to a 550i and an X5 parked next to it and both had the tags. Further inspection revealed the driver side rear door towards the door jam had a paint tape line ,now i am furious. Any way when i told him i will be passing on the car,i was told to forget about the deposit.We had a little argument but since the owner wasn't there there was no point talking about it.
Bottom line,i asked to be dropped back at the airport and i finally made it home around 11.30 in the eve.
Now here is where i need help .
1)- The deposit was paid thru paypl via CC. What if he doesn't want to return the deposit and tries to make BMW's PPI respoonsible for not picking up the paint and not return the deposit.
2)- The vin tags are suppose to be there under-neath the lic plate,isn't it ?
3)-Does any one know of a good high end body shop around Miami international airport area that can confirm the painted panels on this car.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

IF you used a credit card to finance this transaction via PayPal, you MIGHT be able to dispute the charge with your credit card company.

If you used a bank account to fund PayPal, you're probably screwed - especially if you don't have anything in writing. Maybe a lawyer can help.

I'm not dogging you - but there's no way in hell I'd put that much money down in a situation like that. Good luck!
Old 10-31-2010, 02:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

I have some swamp land in NYC I want to sell. Interested?
Old 10-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Contributors

You've already been chastized about the $1000 "deposit" ... if you are hell bent on buying a used car thru a car dealer you don't know you should have thought about paying a small fee (usually about $100) to a qualified independent inspector to examine and send you a written inspection report. There are reputable people in that business ... that goes way beyond checking if any paint work was done.

As far as e60s go, paint is the tip of an iceberg! There is sooooo much more that can go undetected in these cars and that are very very expensive to fix after you drive the car off the lot. And in your case, buying one of these cars probably hundreds of miles from where you live ... not recommended!!

Old 10-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 1600
I have some swamp land in NYC I want to sell. Interested?
Hey --- I bought that last week !! Are you selling it again ?!?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Members

My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

Originally Posted by luigi524td
You've already been chastized about the $1000 "deposit" ... if you are hell bent on buying a used car thru a car dealer you don't know you should have thought about paying a small fee (usually about $100) to a qualified independent inspector to examine and send you a written inspection report. There are reputable people in that business ... that goes way beyond checking if any paint work was done.

As far as e60s go, paint is the tip of an iceberg! There is sooooo much more that can go undetected in these cars and that are very very expensive to fix after you drive the car off the lot. And in your case, buying one of these cars probably hundreds of miles from where you live ... not recommended!!

This is not the first time i have bought an out of state car. I am pissed at myself as i have no one else but myself to blame for lowering my guard and putting a deposit down. My question is,deposit doesn't mean it's always non-refunable 'coz in situation like mine where the car has paint work done then it's obviously is to be returned. Now if i just changed my mind then ofcourse it's non refundable.
So does any body else has any experience dealing with deposit ?
Thanks
Old 10-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: alpine white 535 E61
Model Year: 08

I and a few people I know have given deposits only to change our minds.. They all said your not getting your deposit back. And I always have. I've always seen it this way you give a deposit to hold .. It wasn't to your liking you have a legit beef. They think cuz your out of state your gone. I would make them feel the opposite . Call who ever is in charge explain nicely. You may have to call 25x a day for 5 days but the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i thought a bmw loses its cpo if it goes through a dealer again.

did you just send money without an agreement? talk to the boss. maybe let him keep a little for his trouble. the dealer honestly may not have known it was painted.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fast
So does any body else has any experience dealing with deposit ?
Thanks
http://www.abanet.org/publiced/pract...t_deposit.html
Old 10-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

If you charged it to your credit card, just call and dispute the trasaction.

Quick Reply: Pre purchase/Deposit saga