E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

pre lci DRL as angel eyes question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 06 530xi, so it is pre lci. The DRLs are not angel eyes but the inner circle bulb of the headlight. My question is, if i could just rewire the original wire going to the DRLs to the angel eyes? I would simply cut the wires going to the DRLs and tap them to the wire that is connected to the angel eyes. Will that work?? any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you currently have setup as your DRL? Angel eyes are intended to be DRL and 1 bulb is used for each headlight and is used to light up both rings. Unfortunately due to E60's design of the rings itself, both do not light up equally making the inner ring brighter. I believe for pre-lci the bulb should be H7.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Possibly yes but it'll be even less visible, DRL run at already reduced voltage (that's why even the hi-beam kinda yellowish) so suppose you cut it and re-wire (w/o tripping iDrive warnings) then due to design AE on pre-LCI is not very visible so in addition to that w/ less voltage supplied from DRL re-wire it'll be even dimmer.

Sometime simply cuttin' stuff may not be a good solution ... the best thing is to re-code it and change instead of the inner reflector as the DRL re-program it use AE and then nail it to use the highest voltage as oppose to reduced voltage ... but still due pre-LCI design it still will not be visible much during daytime ... the main reason I swapped mine to LCI headlight.

Not to mention the current bulb that in use by DRL uses the same wire for hi-beam so when you cut it you'll loose inner reflector hi-beam and iDrive will complain 'bout it.

GL!

Originally Posted by thailyfe
I have a 06 530xi, so it is pre lci. The DRLs are not angel eyes but the inner circle bulb of the headlight. My question is, if i could just rewire the original wire going to the DRLs to the angel eyes? I would simply cut the wires going to the DRLs and tap them to the wire that is connected to the angel eyes. Will that work?? any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Don't cut and rewire anything, it wont work and you will end up with a mess. The DRL uses the "flash to pass" (FTP) high beam on reduced power. All this assuming you have HID. HID is both low and regular hi-beam (bi-xenon. The normal setting with DRL's is FTP on at low power and angel eyes off. The angel eyes use a special incandesent lamp (not H7, I believe) hence the yellow low output look. Many have switched to aftermarket lamps for more brighness and a whiter color. Not sure if angel eyes can be coded on as DRL's; but, if so, I doubt there is a setting for reduced power angel eyes.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

AE can't be coded as DRL in pre-LCI.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Ummm ... you mean ... AE can't be coded as DRL in pre-LCI w/ older LM1

I'm pretty sure it can since I discovered it almost a year ago ... before my full LCI light conversion I coded my AE to be my DRL and also BLooD did it on his ...

My post after I found it = http://forums.5serie...ost__p__1313463 within less than 12 hrs BLooD post after he coded his = http://forums.5serie...ost__p__1313674

Granted the OP on '06 MY but ... AE as DRL w/ LM2 on pre-LCI = all good.

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
AE can't be coded as DRL in pre-LCI.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Members

Thanks for the replies! I do have HIDs. So can it just be recoded for DRLs to be angel eyes without any wire modifications??? or is the best way to tap a power source and connect it to the angel eyes like some postings in this forum?
Old 02-15-2012, 03:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by BlaSTiWi
Ummm ... you mean ... AE can't be coded as DRL in pre-LCI w/ older LM1

I'm pretty sure it can since I discovered it almost a year ago ... before my full LCI light conversion I coded my AE to be my DRL and also BLooD did it on his ...

My post after I found it = http://forums.5serie...ost__p__1313463 within less than 12 hrs BLooD post after he coded his = http://forums.5serie...ost__p__1313674

Granted the OP on '06 MY but ... AE as DRL w/ LM2 on pre-LCI = all good.
Yes, that's being on the technical side of it. Most people wouldn't have swapped their LM1 to LM2 without doing the LCI conversion anyway unless their car was repaired in an accident that involved the lights.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Members

cant you wire the angel eyes to the accesories unit for them to stay on whenever the car is started?
Old 08-07-2014, 08:35 AM
New Members

Default angel eye-Pre LCI

Originally Posted by karman
cant you wire the angel eyes to the accesories unit for them to stay on whenever the car is started?
Hi Karman, Iwas also planning to supply the parking bulbs to act as AE with a separate parallel 12vpower supply. i.e. directly from the battery or from another 12v power supply when the key fob is on. I was wondering that it might be resulting in errors iDrivemessages. Had you been successful in doing it?