E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pre-LCI bi-xenon headlights or LCI halogen headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

My car started with pre-LCI halogens

I purchased pre-LCI bi-xenon's but get the following issues:

- left xenon bulb (sometimes both xenon bulbs) shut off as soon as you turn the lights on. I then turn the angel eyes on, drive for 30 seconds and turn the lights back on. Xenons then work fine.
- I get 'parking light ride side faliure' now and again. This error disappears after a few seconds. Generally tends to come on upon braking but not everytime.

I used cables made by member Sas (with resistors added by livefour2day) to add LCI halogens but get the following:

- 'rear light right faliure' as soon as the low beams are turned on. This error stays on for as long as the low beams are on.
- the angel eyes are very dim (due to the resistors being added) and hardly visible unless it's pitch black outside.

(I've tried to add John's HID kit to the LCI halogens but I got rear light faliure everytime I brake so this is not an option)

So the question is what would choose based on what looks best - pre-LCI bi-xenon's or LCI halogens with dim angel eyes
Old 12-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Members

Brother at the moment I only have halogen headlights with my 2005 5.30i (which i was shattered to learn doesnt come with the xenons after having traded my 335i in) lol

ANyhow i'd say bi-xenon but obviously your getting much dramas ey?
Im going to be installing HIDs (Phillip genuine) sometime next week once my h7 bulb holders come in the mail.. will eventually load up pic..

Sat sri akal
Old 12-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Originally Posted by jas888
Brother at the moment I only have halogen headlights with my 2005 5.30i (which i was shattered to learn doesnt come with the xenons after having traded my 335i in) lol

ANyhow i'd say bi-xenon but obviously your getting much dramas ey?
Im going to be installing HIDs (Phillip genuine) sometime next week once my h7 bulb holders come in the mail.. will eventually load up pic..

Sat sri akal
Gidha bro,

Ideally I would like it perfect (no errors) but looks like I have to make do with one of the above.

Problem is really don't which to stick in. I was leaning towards the bi-xenon's but now I have changed the LCI halogen bulbs to osram bulbs. These give more light and a slight more whiter light - this is made me think about keeping the LCI halogens.

Members Livefour2day and BS64 are hopefully going to sort the dim angel angel eyes on the LCI halogens so I'll decide then.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Members

Okay otherwise rather then stuffing around brov,

Osram is good enough otherwise try this.. im considering of buying these (in-fact I think i will now lol) to basically put in Mtech h7's http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTHE...item1c170eaced

They seem like a good replacement of the OEMS (what color you going for on the OSRAMS?), like i said id be gettin one of these in each headlight together with one of HID bulb in each headlight also.. and in the meantime also waiting to order these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK:MESINDXX:IT for my parkers replacement and hopefully get decent ANGEL EYES!

Brov do you know Johal? Bcauz i wana buy those CCFLs off him? what you think bout them man?
Old 12-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Wont the 100w MTEC produce to much heat for the headlight lense - especially the LCI projector lense?

I know Johal - never met him but we have driven past eachother a few times as we live in the same area. You should speak to him about the CCFLs. Not something I am interested as I want to keep everything plug and play
Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

jas: did you ever figure out your headlights?

I was searching for something else and came across your old thread. I recently did the pre-lci to lci halogen conversion, and have no errors with everything working, so I can answer some questions or point you towards the right direction.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
jas: did you ever figure out your headlights?

I was searching for something else and came across your old thread. I recently did the pre-lci to lci halogen conversion, and have no errors with everything working, so I can answer some questions or point you towards the right direction.
Hey,

Not sorted out unfortunately. Member BS64 suggested using a relay with the resistor to get the angel eyes bright again but he is yet to come back on where this would go (hopefully sometime in the next couple of weeks).

The main thing I want is to be able to fit a HID kit with the LCI lights, even if I can't get a good level of brightness on the angel eyes. I can live with the error message (rear light right failure) being on permanently but I when I fit a HID kit the error msg comes on everytime I brake. I am thinking (and I am have no experience of electronics) that there is a decreased output/load/wattage with a HID kit hence the error everytime I brake. Would adding a higher wattage resistor solve this?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Contributors

Okay, we're going to have to scale back with me so I can better troubleshoot with you.

First of all, have you done something to your taillights? I am puzzled why your headlights have any relation to your taillights right now, unless you attempted to code it, and something went awry.

Now, the rear light right failure, is that referring to your brake light(s), or just the light as a whole? I don't believe I have ever seen or heard of that error.

With that said, do you have access to NCSExpert, or someone around you that has? If yes, we can try coding to disable checks first.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Okay, we're going to have to scale back with me so I can better troubleshoot with you.

First of all, have you done something to your taillights? I am puzzled why your headlights have any relation to your taillights right now, unless you attempted to code it, and something went awry.

Now, the rear light right failure, is that referring to your brake light(s), or just the light as a whole? I don't believe I have ever seen or heard of that error.

With that said, do you have access to NCSExpert, or someone around you that has? If yes, we can try coding to disable checks first.
For detailed info check put pages 9 - 15, where member livefour2day also has a similar issue. BS64 has given a pretty good explanation on page 11 which I think is pretty much spot on as to what is causing the error.

Got all errors cleared by d4rkchocolate but still have problems - again I think BS64's explanation is correct. That's why I am thinking a different resistor might solve the problem when I install a HID kit.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Contributors

Ahh, I started to read through the thread, but seems like your problem is very... complex. Not to say you did, or did not, but the initial modification job from pre-LCI halogen to xenon cultures the possibility that something is not done correctly. Additionally, from what I read, you did not solder and probably use T taps (wire taps). Wire taps are basically the easy/lazy way out on wiring electronics together. They are not reliable, and industry experts would advise against it for numerous about of reasons. Voltage drop being the most significant factor. In particular to the thickness (gauge) of the wire, the effect can be monumental.

With that said, I wasn't talking about clearing errors. I was talking about coding the vehicle to disable cold and warm check for the AE (parking lights). In theory, with your resistors currently sitting in there, this should get rid of your front parking light errors.

As for the rear error, we'll have to troubleshoot it some more. I think BS64's explanation of voltage drop, and affecting the rear is a possibility, however, it still strikes me as odd that it's only one side that comes up. If I remember correctly, the wiring of the vehicle goes from the rear goes from right to left, so if I were to theorize which one would be popping up with error, I would have guessed the left one. In any case, one thing at a time.

Quick Reply: Pre-LCI bi-xenon headlights or LCI halogen headlights