E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Powers steering issue / slipping belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:14 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d msport
Default Powers steering issue / slipping belt

I've just got back from France, and whilst over there my power steering went heavy and there was a burning rubber smell. Later that day it was fine so I decided to drive it back to the UK as normal. The power steering was intermittently heavy and the car temp was high at one point.

Despite this, I drove the 700 miles back no problem and after doing some research I'm thinking it's the serpentine belt, so I've ordered a new one and taking it down to my mates garage on Monday.

I understand that the belt drives the power steering, water pump and alternator so I'm sure I'm heading in the right direction, but want to make sure I cover all bases.

Question is, what else could it be other than a worn belt? I'm thinking it could be the crankshaft pulley. I've had a look and everything is spinning, although, it doesn't speed up with revs. Also wondering if it could be a tensioner, but don't want to replace everything if it's not necessary.

The car is a 2006 535d

Any help is much appreciated
Old 09-11-2017, 01:19 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E60 530d
Model Year: 2007
Engine: M57

Same thing happened to me.

It was the pulley.