E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Power Window anti-trap issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I did a search on the forum and didn't find too much info. If I've failed don't bash me too bad. I am working on trying to be more patient with this new forum phenomenon where everyone wants to put in their $.02 without it having to relate directly to the actual question or issue at hand. With that said, my patience bandwidith is about 15 min or so of browsing forums and reading nonsense posts. So I'll start with my post.....

Recently I started to get an error on my iDrive "Power Window Anti-Trap Function" or something like that. The driver's side window works fine rolling up or down, but I've noticed you have to hold down the switch unlike the other windows. This seemed a bit odd to me. I don't remember having to hold the switch, but I don't pay much attention either to these things. I just know that I got this yellow window with an exclamation mark on it. Just like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=power...1t:429,r:1,s:0

In addition the window would not roll up with my remote when locking the car or roll down while unlocking the car as I programmed it to do.
So I turned the key to farthest position w/o starting while window was up and I held it in the up position for like 20 seconds. I pressed it down once to test it and when it went all the way down I pressed it up once and all was fixed.
119,000 M54 and car has been good to me, never had any issues on the car that weren't solved by myself very easily. Mostly I just worked on the car as a preventative measure because I'm all too familiar with these cars, specifically the the M52, M52TU and M54 engine. I'll probably be selling it soon for an SUV to suite my needs a bit better, but overall very happy with reliability and performance.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Have you tried re-initializing the power window?

Rudy's Profile -> Gallery -> View all images -> Initializing Pwr Window
Old 09-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I guess you didn't read my post....basically that's what i"ve already done just backwards. I don't see how I would have found the documents above in a forum search. Nice repository though, Great job Rudy!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

I had an identical problem to you. While you have resolved it with a re-synch I might add that my dealer 'greased/oiled/sprayed' my window tracks while under warranty. I don't know what they used but the problem was resolved. I had already done a re-synch yhat partially worked. It was also the most used drivers window.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i have this problem daily.

funny thing is.....if the car is in motion....the window will roll up w/o any problems....if im at a dead stop in park, it happens like 70% of the time w/ the passenger side window and like 30% of the time w/ the driver side window....never the rears though.

only perk of living in Detroit is its only warm enough 3 months out of the year to ride around w/ the windows open anyway so its easier to deal with.