E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Power steering stopped out of no where

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 05:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Black 530xi: (6 Speed Manual) -LCI tailight and headlight retrofit -19' Black Miro M6 rims -Black Kidney Grills -Carbon Fiber roundel emblems Partially shadowed emblems Coming soon: Full Mtech Kit rpi exhaust additional subs and amps added to Logic7 H&R lowering springs

Hey everyone,

Just about 5 months with this car and this is my 4th problem already I have a 2006 530xi

2 days ago I dropped my friend off at CVS and was waiting for him to come out when my a "Charging Malfunction" error message popped up on the dash. Nothing shut off, except my power steering. My lights, radio, iDrive, blinkers, and everything else kept working fine. Shut off and restart it several times, no problem, except I kept getting the error message and power steering is still out.

I had it towed home, opened the hood, and noticed that a belt on my car was completely off. The belt is in perfect shape, no cracks, and still plenty of lubrication left on it, but it is completely off. I don't know how or why. It appears to be the alternator belt.

One idea, is that I am pretty sure I have an oil gasket leak problem. After looking on the forums I found several people with an oil leak where I have had mine (by the air filter box and alternator), and I figure that's at least where my oil leak is coming from. Is it possible that the oil leak caused my belt to slip off?

A few other problems I have had recently:
1)Car was burning/leaking coolant (fixed with a coolant filter or o-ring of some sort i forget)
2) In the 220th mile of a 225 mile trip I got an engine overheated warning. Stopped the car, waited 15 minutes, restarted it, the warning went away, checked coolant level and it was fine.
3) I notice a lot of white smoke out of my exhaust
4) My comfort access suddenly does not work at all, and if the car has been left overnight, I have to get extremely close and press the open button repeatedly for it to start (although I don't have to put the key in the ignition to start)

Sorry for the long post, I am just so fed up with these problems and want to give as many details as possible.

Any and all help is appreciated
Thanks!
Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

After you 'fixed' the coolant leak, did you vent the cooling system? There's no coolant filter.
Did you investigate why the car overheated?

Belt may have stretched and the oil leak made it slippery and possibly came off.

If I were you, I'd clean up the oil leak with brake cleaner, put on brand new belt. Then vent the cooling system - follow the procedure. Connect a charger to the battery terminals, turn ignition to accessory (do not start the engine), press and hold gas pedal for 10 seconds, you will hear coolant flowing thru the system. Venting process will take about 12 to 15 minutes. When done, top-off coolant, if necessary.

If necessary, charge the battery fully.

You will need to address one issue at a time - methodically. Your car will be up and running in no time.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Black 530xi: (6 Speed Manual) -LCI tailight and headlight retrofit -19' Black Miro M6 rims -Black Kidney Grills -Carbon Fiber roundel emblems Partially shadowed emblems Coming soon: Full Mtech Kit rpi exhaust additional subs and amps added to Logic7 H&R lowering springs

If thats the venting process, I didn't personally do it, the shop I took it to might have? (I will call and ask).

I appreciate your advice, and plan on taking it, but I am a completely clueless when it comes to under the hood stuff. Your directions seem simple enough, but I don't know about putting on the belt myself haha.

Any idea how much it would cost to repair the oil gasket leaks and have a new belt installed?

I'm a bit strapped for cash right now so anything that might be an extremely simple DIY I might go for.

Thanks again for your help, this is all just a bit frustrating lol
Old 01-30-2012, 04:53 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Putting the belt on is relatively easy, use appropriate size torx bit (I think T50), align the belt on all pullies except the top one, turn the belt tensioner, put the belt on, and let go the tensioner slowly. Visually inspect the belt is on all pullies properly.

Cleaning the oil leak is easy - buy a can of brake parts cleaner, spray on the oil leak area, it will evaporate quickly. Source of the oil leak may be the oil filter housing gasket and/or the oil cooler gasket.

If you are not good with the tools, you will need to find a good independent mechanic.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

bad belt tensioner, or a wobbly pulley....how is the water pump.