E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Power down

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

Newbie (though oldie) signing in as the proud owner of a new 535d (silver grey, black leather plus loads).

Have had my car for a couple of months now covering 6+k miles in most weathers (we get a lot of it in UK). The car is wonderful and the power awesome - but that's the trouble :'( . I get the traction light flashing with no trouble at all in 1, 2, 3 and even 4th in wet or dry. Have just moved on from an Audi 3.0 A4 Quattro Cab (I know it had less power and torque) and can't hardly even remember what the traction light looked like.

Had Eagles on 18" rims when supplied and it tramlined worse than any car I've ever driven (with exception of Tuscan) but have now moved to non-runflat Pirelli SottoZeros winters (that weather again). The car rides better, is quieter, the tramlining has disapeared but...the traction control light still flashes like crazy. This does not happen when cornering at a constant speed but almost always when nailing it through or out of a bend. On a merely damp road..oh, God you have to be careful. In case anyone thinks it's technique, well maybe, but I've got almost 1m miles on my clock (including track work).

The garage (Victoria in Harrogate) says it's normal.

Anyone got any views?
Old 12-31-2006, 09:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Heel n' post='372604' date='Dec 31 2006, 05:03 PM
Hi all

Newbie (though oldie) signing in as the proud owner of a new 535d (silver grey, black leather plus loads).

Have had my car for a couple of months now covering 6+k miles in most weathers (we get a lot of it in UK). The car is wonderful and the power awesome - but that's the trouble :'( . I get the traction light flashing with no trouble at all in 1, 2, 3 and even 4th in wet or dry. Have just moved on from an Audi 3.0 A4 Quattro Cab (I know it had less power and torque) and can't hardly even remember what the traction light looked like.

Had Eagles on 18" rims when supplied and it tramlined worse than any car I've ever driven (with exception of Tuscan) but have now moved to non-runflat Pirelli SottoZeros winters (that weather again). The car rides better, is quieter, the tramlining has disapeared but...the traction control light still flashes like crazy. This does not happen when cornering at a constant speed but almost always when nailing it through or out of a bend. On a merely damp road..oh, God you have to be careful. In case anyone thinks it's technique, well maybe, but I've got almost 1m miles on my clock (including track work).

Anyone got any views?
The power of torque... Probably not a lot you can do. My assumption was that my 275 rears would contain some of the torque better, someone else with a 535d and 19" staggered wheels may be able to comment better!

It might also be worth fiddling with the DTC/DSC button. I think tapping it once (rather than holding it for 3 secs) reduces the amount of 'assistance' but you potentially increase the chances of spinning etc. But as you've obviously got some experience then you can probably handle it?
Old 12-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Members

Thanks

Didn't want to go for 19" wheels as ride would suffer. Might have to live with it but someone said it might be alignment - although in all other respects it tracks straight as an arrow.

Have to try it with traction off but need a big empty space for first attempt rather than on road.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by Heel n' post='372604' date='Dec 31 2006, 12:03 PM
Hi all

Anyone got any views?
You cannot expect much traction from winter tires. When it is time to switch back to summer tires you may want to get high end tires like PS2 or RE050 Pole position, and better turn that DSC off and have fun.
Old 12-31-2006, 10:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Heel n' post='372631' date='Dec 31 2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks

Didn't want to go for 19" wheels as ride would suffer. Might have to live with it but someone said it might be alignment - although in all other respects it tracks straight as an arrow.

Have to try it with traction off but need a big empty space for first attempt rather than on road.
The 19" ride isn't apparently too bad because they don't ship with runflats... (Unlike the 19" option on the 3-series coupe...) I doubt alignment would have such an effect...

Nah, just don't poke the throttle too aggresively to start with!
Old 12-31-2006, 10:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='372648' date='Dec 31 2006, 07:29 PM
The 19" ride isn't apparently too bad because they don't ship with runflats... (Unlike the 19" option on the 3-series coupe...) I doubt alignment would have such an effect...

Nah, just don't poke the throttle too aggresively to start with!

You mean I should be gentle with it?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

I'd say either tyres or driving style, not the alignment. I hardly ever see the DSC light on mine (unless provoked), and it's got standard Bridgestone non-winter RFT on 17". And it's a Touring, which probably does not help in terms of traction!

Just out of curiosity - have you tried re-setting the drive-by-wire throttle sensitivity?

Turn ignition key to Pos I, leave 10 seconds, turn off, then turn engine on immediately afterwards. This is supposed to re-set the sensitivity to a middle-of-the-road value, just in case you have some strange hypersensitive mode active.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='372670' date='Jan 1 2007, 06:49 AM
I'd say either tyres or driving style, not the alignment. I hardly ever see the DSC light on mine (unless provoked), and it's got standard Bridgestone non-winter RFT on 17". And it's a Touring, which probably does not help in terms of traction!

Just out of curiosity - have you tried re-setting the drive-by-wire throttle sensitivity?

Turn ignition key to Pos I, leave 10 seconds, turn off, then turn engine on immediately afterwards. This is supposed to re-set the sensitivity to a middle-of-the-road value, just in case you have some strange hypersensitive mode active.
How to reset throttle DBW in a E60 with Comfort Access? Thanks!
Old 01-02-2007, 02:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by yosh330i' post='372921' date='Jan 2 2007, 02:24 PM
How to reset throttle DBW in a E60 with Comfort Access? Thanks!
Oooops...
Old 01-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Members

- be gentle & more progressive with throttle : it's not a on/off switch ! Managing traction is a part of the driver job that you forgot with your Audi Quatro ...

- it's very normal that DSC (DTC in fact) works on damp or wet roads with soooooooo much torque !
Personaly, when I drive "hard", I switch DTC OFF (1 short push on the button)

- 19 inches & 275 tyres would be better for traction on dry, but certainly worse on wet & damp. It may be also more dangerous when under heavy rain, and you'll also have more tramlining ! :thumbsdown:

- it's very clever to use winter tyres, but it would be better with 17 inches rims & tyres. Don't forget you bought winter tyres for efficienty & security, not for the look. Sheaper 17" rims would also keep your beautiful & expensive original rims from dirty winter conditions (specially salt)

And if you don't agree with that, you should have bought a 530xd or waited for a possible future 535xd ... even if I think that the 2 wheels drive E60 is more dynamic, lighter and gives more driving pleasure than a "X"

PS : do you have the sport chassis ???

Quick Reply: Power down