E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible 1st issue on new E60

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Hi all,

Had a wonderful time flying around in my e60 this weekend. Heck, yesterday spent the whole day driving here and there. Anything you need from the store Honey???

Besides the car just drinking gas , I noticed yesterday the position of the steering wheel. It looks off center to right, not much but maybe a fingers width or 1 inch tilted to the right. Now, most roads have slope and likely slope from left to right (to push water to the shoulder).

Anyone notice this and should I go in for a wheel alignment or some other adjustment? I can't drive a bimmer with the steering wheel off center, just messes with all the pleasure. Maybe its okay with Kia but not a bimmer.

Any help or advice appreciated. I'm going for a drive in my Audi right now a quick comparison.

CVT Benhogan
Old 04-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='269804' date='Apr 16 2006, 09:48 AM
Hi all,

Had a wonderful time flying around in my e60 this weekend. Heck, yesterday spent the whole day driving here and there. Anything you need from the store Honey???

Besides the car just drinking gas , I noticed yesterday the position of the steering wheel. It looks off center to right, not much but maybe a fingers width or 1 inch tilted to the right. Now, most roads have slope and likely slope from left to right (to push water to the shoulder).

Anyone notice this and should I go in for a wheel alignment or some other adjustment? I can't drive a bimmer with the steering wheel off center, just messes with all the pleasure. Maybe its okay with Kia but not a bimmer.

Any help or advice appreciated. I'm going for a drive with Audi right now a comparison.
CVT Benhogan
Do a search, there have been others here with this problem and the dealer was able to resolve it....
At least you GET to drive your 550
Old 04-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Members

Wow! That sounds serious. You should definitely go and have it checked out because I think other E60 owners have had similar complaints recently. Was it like that when you picked it up 2 weeks ago and you didn't notice, or did it suddenly become that way? Keep us updated.

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='269804' date='Apr 16 2006, 11:48 AM
It looks off center to right, not much but maybe a fingers width or 1 inch tilted to the right.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

It is a software issue that requires a mechanical adjustment (I believe it is related to Assisted steering). Bottom line is you aren't nutz; and it's fixable. I just wonder how it got out of adjustment?

Keep enjoying it.

Ray Hull
Old 04-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='269809' date='Apr 16 2006, 11:58 AM
At least you GET to drive your 550
That's a good point. We ordered 10 days ago, and it seems like it has been forever already. I don't think I can make it until mid-June.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='269812' date='Apr 16 2006, 12:04 PM
It is a software issue that requires a mechanical adjustment (I believe it is related to Assisted steering). Bottom line is you aren't nutz; and it's fixable. I just wonder how it got out of adjustment?

Keep enjoying it.

Ray Hull

Hi Ray,

Noticed it yesterday. When it comes to cars, I see issues instantly. I'll take it in this week and report on the status. I've had several high speed moments, but haven't hit any big bumps nor median strips. I easily see it being a software issue with active steering.

Regards,

CVT Benhogan

I'll post a pic of the wheel later.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Do you mean its turned to the right a little or the whole steering wheel is shifted to the right?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='269827' date='Apr 16 2006, 01:38 PM
Do you mean its turned to the right a little or the whole steering wheel is shifted to the right?
If your intended line is straight while driving, the steering wheel is turned alittle to the right. Imagine the BMW logo as a reference mark. The top of the M (in the logo) points veritically between the 12 and 1 clock positions. Its not quite that bad, so lets say 12 1/2.

The whole steering column is fine and not shifted. Now that would be bad. Heck, I'd call BMW assist on Easter Sunday for the one.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='269804' date='Apr 16 2006, 11:48 AM
Hi all,

Any help or advice appreciated. I'm going for a drive in my Audi right now a quick comparison.
CVT Benhogan
Correct me if I'm wrong that some thread on this forum suggested that Active Steering needs to be reset.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='269854' date='Apr 16 2006, 12:18 PM
If your intended line is straight while driving, the steering wheel is turned alittle to the right. Imagine the BMW logo as a reference mark. The top of the M (in the logo) points veritically between the 12 and 1 clock positions. Its not quite that bad, so lets say 12 1/2.

The whole steering column is fine and not shifted. Now that would be bad. Heck, I'd call BMW assist on Easter Sunday for the one.

Ah ok. Cuz I remember some have reported that the steering wheel column actually not being in the center if you used the two blinker signals as a reference point.

Quick Reply: Possible 1st issue on new E60