E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Positive Surprise

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 04:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been following the RunFlat tire horror stories on this forum for quite some time and was already mentally prepared to live with RunFlats. And then today I learned that my ordered 525xi (delivery in Feb) will come with Star Spoke 17" rims with ordinary non-RunFlat tires as standard. My Christmas spirit improved immediately.

My dealer explained the BMW E60 tire installation policy in Europe:
1) If you order your car with standard rims, it always comes with
non-RunFlat tires. In case of RWD 6-cyl models they are 16",
AWD and 8-cyl models 17", but always non-RunFlat.
2) If you order your car with optional rims (bigger than the standard)
you always get RunFlats from the factory.

As simple as that.

Makes me even more satisfied with the choice of an AWD model. Basically the only way to get 525i with 17" rims and non-RunFlats as standard.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Heikki' post='214893' date='Dec 23 2005, 08:30 AM
I have been following the RunFlat tire horror stories on this forum for quite some time and was already mentally prepared to live with RunFlats. And then today I learned that my ordered 525xi (delivery in Feb) will come with Star Spoke 17" rims with ordinary non-RunFlat tires as standard. My Christmas spirit improved immediately.

As simple as that.

Makes me even more satisfied with the choice of an AWD model. Basically the only way to get 525i with 17" rims and non-RunFlats as standard.
That's good luck for you Heikki. I am glad you are glad.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Heikki' post='214893' date='Dec 23 2005, 08:30 AM

As simple as that.

Does that mean that you get a donut or a full size spare???? Where are you lacated??
chjeers
vern
Old 12-24-2005, 12:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Monaco Blue w/ Black Leather, M-Aero Kit, Premium Package, Sport Package, Navigation, Active Steering, PDC

I love my runflats...The ride isn't harsh at all for me but i guess its different for everyone. The car only has 100 miles on it so once the tires get some wear i'll have to re-evaluate the situation.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

I specified the 19" wheels - and they don't come with run-flats - with a space saver spare
Old 12-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

Heikki: Strange... I just ordered a 535D and it comes with 138- 17" wheels as standard. Here in Sweden was it changed to RFT on all cars with 138 or 17" wheels as standard, included the X-series. Only cars with 16" comes with Non-RFT here and it was not even possible to change to Non-RFT, even I was willing to pay extra. It's also not possible to get winter tyres from factory here in Sweden, not even studdless.

My plan is to use the factory wheels as winter so I ordered the car with the spare kit.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:12 AM
Senior Members

Sounds unusual.
Now I am confused.

I thought only one or two of the base models came with 16" non runflats.

I also thought all standard & optional 17" & 18" came with runflats. And then at the other end of the scale the optional 19" rims come with non runflats, because they don't make RF's in those sizes.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:54 AM
Members

My Ride: Booked: E70n X5 40d M. Carbonblack, oyster, comfortseats, Nav Pro, Active Drive, Panoramic, Hifi PRO DSP, HUD, Alutrim, Satin ext, gloss rails, towconnector, elctric lid, alarm and more. FS: E61 535D -06, Activesteering, Comfort seats, Hifi, M-steeringwheel, PDC, Rails, Tinted windows, Folding mirrors, Towconnector, Alu trims, Panoramic roof, ISO FIX, SonyEricsson BT-HF, 124 wheels, Alarm, Electric lid, Aburn interior, Xenons, Silvergrey and the crappy cupholders!!!

It looks like the tyre and rim selections is different depending on country. Here have all 520, 523, 525 and 530 16" wheels as standard. Except for the x-models, 535 and 550 that have 17". Only the ones with 16" have non RFT and spare tyre as standard, the ones with 17" have RFT. This is atleast what BMW headoffice and all dealers tell med.

I will go and take a turn more at the dealer with this RFT matter. I belive that if you don't click in the code for the wheels with RFT tyres the car is delivered with specified standrad, the non RFT and spare tyre.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!
Old 12-24-2005, 05:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Good for you. The RF's are too hard for crappy roads.

I suppose by your nic that your are also from Finland or Finnish?
Old 12-24-2005, 05:48 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='215169' date='Dec 24 2005, 03:00 PM
Good for you. The RF's are too hard for crappy roads.

I suppose by your nic that your are also from Finland or Finnish?
I hate those RFTs. It has happend to me that my rear tires were out of air with out I'd noticed it. The tire pressure alert system didn't react until I filled the tire with air again. I don't know if the fact that I've been driving with out air in the tire has hurted the tire? (the workshop had my tire in a water bath a whole day, and thy are saying there is no leak.)

Quick Reply: Positive Surprise