E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Poor paint on e60

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 01:59 AM
ice
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2005 BMW 525i and I think the paint job on these cars is absolutely crap. It's so easy to scratch the paint even if you are really careful when you wash the car by hand. It's really annoying especially when you pay a great deal of money for the car. I heard that the clear coat on the metallic paints is really thin and this is the main problem. I was wondering whether anybody has got their car repainted on the factory warranty. I live in Norway and would interested in hearing about similar cases. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d saloon, manual 6 ratios, olivin metallic, star spoke 122 alloys, delete boot badge, bi-xenon adaptive headlights including washers, graduated tinted windscreen, exterior and interior mirror auto dimming plus electric folding door mirrors, extended light package, dakota beige leather, dark poplar wood, electric seat adjustment including memory function, heated front seats, advanced climate control, velour floor mats, sliding front armrest, lumbar support for front seats.

Originally Posted by ice' post='367342' date='Dec 14 2006, 10:59 AM
I have a 2005 BMW 525i and I think the paint job on these cars is absolutely crap. It's so easy to scratch the paint even if you are really careful when you wash the car by hand. It's really annoying especially when you pay a great deal of money for the car. I heard that the clear coat on the metallic paints is really thin and this is the main problem. I was wondering whether anybody has got their car repainted on the factory warranty. I live in Norway and would interested in hearing about similar cases. Thanks in advance.
Me too. Got my 520d in May of this year and got my first scratch in a pub car park on the first weekend and then another about a week later, looks like it's really easily marked and scratched unlike my last Audi. Got BMW to do a spot repair on the first one but they made such a bad job of it that I rubbed it off and started again and made a better job even though you can still see it in some lights. :thumbsdown:
Old 12-14-2006, 03:24 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

There's not much to say about BMW paint. All you can say is: IT SUX !!! BIG TIME !!!

There is no way you will get the car repainted. The paint is like this. It's not thin, it's just the worst quality I have ever seen in my life. They claim it is the best they ever had, and they know they are lying!
Old 12-14-2006, 04:55 AM
Contributors

Location: Proud citizen of THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA and MORGANTOWN, W.V.
My Ride: '05 530i, Premium, Steptronic, Logic7, Silver grey-black leather. Build date 12/7/04.

I'm afraid the radical enviro-crowd has won the battle between durable paint finish versus paint ingredients and paint shop emissions.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Could it be you are referring to swirl marks in the clear coat not scratches in the paint? This is a common topic on other boards, and I believe most recommend a product called Zaino, I think.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:18 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by niktee' post='367372' date='Dec 14 2006, 02:55 PM
I'm afraid the radical enviro-crowd has won the battle between durable paint finish versus paint ingredients and paint shop emissions.
I hope it is like that!

I think it's better that our cars are less resistant from scratches than the people working with the paint dies from lung cancer. And also the fact how these chemicals affects the environment...

My question is, why are BMW paints not as good as other brands? I've had lots of new cars the last years and none were as bad as my current BMW.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d

Talking about paint...

I think I have to get my whole car (almost) repainted.

Two days ago I drove on the highway when suddenly a lot of glass hits my lane. No idea where it came from (large botlle?).
The car before me drives through it and sprays it all over my 3 month old 520d --> marks all over my car (even on the passenger doors at the back).

It happened so fast (at 80mph), that I couldn't see what caused it...

The picture is showing my windscreen (white spots are the marks).

As it is all over the car, i think I need a full repaint...

Pissed off I was (and still am) !!!

Greetz,

Ribo
Attached Thumbnails Poor paint on e60-img_1.jpg   Poor paint on e60-img_2.jpg   Poor paint on e60-img_3.jpg   Poor paint on e60-img_4.jpg  
Old 12-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by Ribo' post='367385' date='Dec 14 2006, 06:43 AM
Talking about paint...

Two days ago I drove on the highway when suddenly a lot of glass hits my lane. No idea where it came from (large botlle?).
The car before me drives through it and sprays it all over my 3 month old 520d --> marks all over my car (even on the passenger doors at the back).

Greetz,

Ribo
aww damn that sucks. good luck with that.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='367360' date='Dec 14 2006, 02:24 PM
There's not much to say about BMW paint. All you can say is: IT SUX !!! BIG TIME !!!
I confirm!

My old '04 E60 that I purchased second hand as a dealers car, was so much grindstoned,
that there was no paint left. :thumbsdown:

My new E60 has never been in brush car washes, nor been whet be any car wash dealer.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by ipp' post='367380
Talking about paint...

Greetz,

Ribo
OMG !!!

I feel your pain.
I'd sure be pissed like hell too.

Unbelievable.

Quick Reply: Poor paint on e60