E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor aerodynamics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been very disapointed in my e60 since the day I got it in 3 scenarios which are common to all e60s

1. Sucks in the wind. Is awfully sensitive to moderate to heavy wind and feels very ligth and unstable in the wind. With no wind it is solid as a rock to 150 plus mph
2.Sunroof noise without the slider closed is extremely loud. Some say they replaced the seal and it helped but that is not the issue, it is thet aerodynamics. I have driven many e60s all with the same problem. I have driven many e90s and none have that problem

3. The biggest annoyance is driving with front drive and passenger windows down or even a litte bit down, the wind just comes at the side of your head and is ultra annoying where as all cars I had in the past and the 3 series you can hardly feel any wind on your head, only a nice breeze. The only way to remedy the problem on the e60 is to also roll the rear windows down partially to take some of that air and restribute it.

All that leads me to think there was an essential flaw in how aerodynamic this car is-which is wierd since its drag is lower than the 3 series. I dont get that. With less drag you should have less parts of the car with such heavy variances in wind
Old 04-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by 545OH' post='845741' date='Apr 13 2009, 12:42 PM
I have been very disapointed in my e60 since the day I got it in 3 scenarios which are common to all e60s

1. Sucks in the wind. Is awfully sensitive to moderate to heavy wind and feels very ligth and unstable in the wind. With no wind it is solid as a rock to 150 plus mph
2.Sunroof noise without the slider closed is extremely loud. Some say they replaced the seal and it helped but that is not the issue, it is thet aerodynamics. I have driven many e60s all with the same problem. I have driven many e90s and none have that problem

3. The biggest annoyance is driving with front drive and passenger windows down or even a litte bit down, the wind just comes at the side of your head and is ultra annoying where as all cars I had in the past and the 3 series you can hardly feel any wind on your head, only a nice breeze. The only way to remedy the problem on the e60 is to also roll the rear windows down partially to take some of that air and restribute it.

All that leads me to think there was an essential flaw in how aerodynamic this car is-which is wierd since its drag is lower than the 3 series. I dont get that. With less drag you should have less parts of the car with such heavy variances in wind
I have not noticed number 1 at all. I was driving this weekend in heavy winds in New York and my 550 did not feel unstable or very affected by the crosswinds, which were substantial. I'll have to check on numbers 2 and 3.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Banned

welll it was not windy enough or cross winds were not happening. Give it time and you will see. There ris no variance in the body of an e60 and I have changed tires and wheels many times and all with the same result. You can do a search and see tons of posts on this.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Drag coefficient doesn't have much to do with the way the car handles high crosswinds only how well the air flows front to back. I've noticed the first two issues this past windy weekend in fact, but I either haven't noticed or haven't been bothered by the 3rd. The e60 body is not that much heavier than the 3 series due to the aluminum used but there is more side area which doesn't help with crosswinds.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='845744' date='Apr 13 2009, 11:46 AM
I have not noticed number 1 at all. I was driving this weekend in heavy winds in New York and my 550 did not feel unstable or very affected by the crosswinds, which were substantial. I'll have to check on numbers 2 and 3.
Keep driving car at 150+, and send us some post cards from Levinworth.

Those speeds are for race tracks--unless you want to take full responsibility for killing a few people.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Titanium Gray 545 Sport Package

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='845786' date='Apr 13 2009, 01:31 PM

Those speeds are for race tracks--unless you want to take full responsibility for killing a few people.
I wasn't aware they built a jail under Levinworth. 100MPH is when you get sent to Levinworth, 140+ they bury you under the jail. I like to drive fast but in America don't think it is a good idea, save that for Autobahn.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='845786' date='Apr 13 2009, 01:31 PM

Agreed. I was commenting on the fact that my car does not feel unstable in the wind. I was not replying to the part about driving 150 mph. I have not done that and, outside of a racktrack or the Autobahn, I would not chance doing that in the US.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i sport package, manual, black on black w/ anthracite trim, pdc, logic 7, cold weather pkg.

Maybe you guys will think i'm a psyco but i love the way my car
accelerates at high speeds and i can't get enough of it.

I hit 140 at least once a week on the highway.

I don't stay there, i just hit it and come back down to
regular speeds.

Next time you have an opening on a newly paved
highway and your doing 80, drop it in 4th and floor it.

You'll be surprised how fast it gets to that speed.

Again make sure it is a good smooth road, you leave
yourself space and time to slow down, the weather is nice,
and keep an eye out for the police.

And by the way, i do feel safer at those speeds in my E60
than i did with my E46 M3. But that was a convertible.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by dusandimic' post='845918' date='Apr 13 2009, 03:15 PM
Maybe you guys will think i'm a psyco but i love the way my car
accelerates at high speeds and i can't get enough of it.
+1 I'm with you on that.

I've been trying to keep within a reasonable figure, close to the speed limit, but I get there rather quickly
Old 04-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i sport package, manual, black on black w/ anthracite trim, pdc, logic 7, cold weather pkg.

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='845927' date='Apr 13 2009, 02:23 PM
+1 I'm with you on that.

I've been trying to keep within a reasonable figure, close to the speed limit, but I get there rather quickly
At least i'm not alone.

I love the whole spectrum of driving capabilities these cars have
and i can't get enough of it.

Quick Reply: Poor aerodynamics?