E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pontiac G8 better than BMW E60

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snkpkp' post='554233' date='Apr 1 2008, 10:24 AM
it looks a lot like the Vauxhaul Monaro V8 from AU....I guess its the same car??? i dont research GM ...lol....so don know...
Thats because it is rebadged as a Vauxhall in Europe.

Jeremy Clarkson reviewed the VXR8, he loved it. He compares it to the M5, but in the end he prefers the M5(of course).

Top Gear: the Vauxhall vxr8

It also is rebadged as a Chevrolet Lumina SS in the Middle East, where it won sports saloon of the year.

Chevrolet Lumina SS named 2007 Best Sports Saloon in Middle East

http://4wheelsblog.com/released/chevrolet-...-in-middle-east
Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Scooter' post='554563' date='Apr 1 2008, 08:11 PM
The G8 is an imported, rebadged Australian designed and built Holden Commodore SS V8.

It is a hot and speced up V8 version of our basic 6 cylinder family/fleet car here in Australia. They are good value for money in performance terms (especially as they are cheaper to you guys then we pay here despite building them) but do not age well and are built to a 'low' price. They are in a different league than the E60 in terms of materials employed and build quality.

Having said that there are few better value RWD performance sedans on the market. Personally though I would not buy one because I value engineering, R&D and build quality. The G8/Commodore is an example of performance gained by merely putting a large capacity inefficient motor under the bonnet of a marginally beefed up value based package built with cheapest available components.

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action...ew?modelid=4006
Smart commercial, but not really a 5 Series competitor. You have to give GM credit for comparing it to a 5 series. They are getting a lot of press and it should create interest. That being said I've never driven a GM car that drives like a BMW. I've driven the CTS, Corvette, Malibu, Impala, etc. I've also never driven a Japanese car with the same sports sedan feel. Certainly a step in the right direction for GM. Now those knuckleheads need to bring out someting energy efficient that can compete with the Prius.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by redondoman' post='554688' date='Apr 2 2008, 02:40 AM
Now those knuckleheads need to bring out someting energy efficient that can compete with the Prius.
Or better yet, compete with the 5 series...
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=52102
Old 04-02-2008, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

Originally Posted by goodchip' post='554641' date='Apr 1 2008, 11:35 PM
Why not a comparison of the G8 with the CTS?
Why not a comparison of the 135i to the Z4 or the 7-series to the 5-series?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by redondoman' post='554688' date='Apr 1 2008, 11:40 PM
Smart commercial, but not really a 5 Series competitor. You have to give GM credit for comparing it to a 5 series. They are getting a lot of press and it should create interest. That being said I've never driven a GM car that drives like a BMW. I've driven the CTS, Corvette, Malibu, Impala, etc. I've also never driven a Japanese car with the same sports sedan feel. Certainly a step in the right direction for GM. Now those knuckleheads need to bring out someting energy efficient that can compete with the Prius.
GM already has a number hybrids available in the US.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='554740' date='Apr 2 2008, 05:28 AM
Or better yet, compete with the 5 series...
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=52102
Good luck finding a 520d in the US!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Originally Posted by pukka' post='554186' date='Apr 1 2008, 08:49 AM
True - its not a BMW

But when a G8 outruns your BMW, are you going to take solace in the fact that your car still has ARS, DSC, SMG, and any other BMW type acronym for a system the G8 doesn't have?

Or are you going to be truly satisfied that the extra 10-20k you paid for a slower car was money well spent.

If you are truly satisfied - then more power to ya.

Face it guys, GM is gaining ground on the performance gap. And they are doing it for the masses.

I'd have to disagree with you about GM quality...no offense to you personally or anyone who may drive a GM grocery getter, but I travel a lot and my company rents primarily form AVIS (GM products). These (sometimes brand new cars with very low miles) (Pontiacs, Chevy's, Buick's) are, well...junk! I'm actually surprised that they are so bad. I can't understand why they are sooo cheap looking, feeling, driving, sounding, etc? Have you seen the interior of the Pontiac G6 - why they need 30 obnoxious AC vents I'll never know, and there must be an ACRE of cheap plastic in the interior! I know they cost betweeen $20K & $30K (in general) but why do they have to be so RAW in every respect? A Honda Accord or Toyota Camry (costing the same) or even Corolla (priced even less) drive much more buttoned down and quietly...no, I wouldn't buy a Pontiac no matter how well they copy BMW's styling nor cheap they are. In my book, these cars are a classic example of "You don't always get what you pay for". I'll even watch a bit of NASCAR from time to time (I like most all motorsports) but still wouldn't touch a GM passenger car..now their trucks and Corvette - that's a different story! Sorry about the rant, but I still believe that GM has a long way to go to even be in the same ad with most of the German cars.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

I just read the entire thing and I would add a few sentences to this. Its ok if you dont agree with me.

1:

I am a BMW loyalist. And no matter what happens, I would again buy a 5er. Pontiac, Fords or any other American brand just cant do it. I dont feel right sitting and driving it. I was thinking of looking into the new Challenger.. but then again everyone will drive one anyways.

2:
Very important:
Chics know the difference between a Pontiac and a BMW.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535xiT (E61) Black Sapphire / Black Leather / bamboo. Steptronic, Full Aero Kit, 35% Tints. 18" Run Flats. All the goodies short of Active Cruise, Comfort Access and the safty options. 2002 BMW R1150R. Red, Corbin, PIAAs, Fiamm,

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='554830' date='Apr 2 2008, 12:05 PM
I'd have to disagree with you about GM quality...no offense to you personally or anyone who may drive a GM grocery getter, but I travel a lot and my company rents primarily form AVIS (GM products). These (sometimes brand new cars with very low miles) (Pontiacs, Chevy's, Buick's) are, well...junk! I'm actually surprised that they are so bad. I can't understand why they are sooo cheap looking, feeling, driving, sounding, etc? Have you seen the interior of the Pontiac G6 - why they need 30 obnoxious AC vents I'll never know, and there must be an ACRE of cheap plastic in the interior! I know they cost betweeen $20K & $30K (in general) but why do they have to be so RAW in every respect? A Honda Accord or Toyota Camry (costing the same) or even Corolla (priced even less) drive much more buttoned down and quietly...no, I wouldn't buy a Pontiac no matter how well they copy BMW's styling nor cheap they are. In my book, these cars are a classic example of "You don't always get what you pay for". I'll even watch a bit of NASCAR from time to time (I like most all motorsports) but still wouldn't touch a GM passenger car..now their trucks and Corvette - that's a different story! Sorry about the rant, but I still believe that GM has a long way to go to even be in the same ad with most of the German cars.
+1
especially on the comparison to Japanese cars. I know there's been a debate abot the YUPi factor of BMWs but personally, If I wasn't in a 5 series I would be looking at VW and then at Honda, Toyota and Nissan in that order (Including Acura, Lexus and Infinity).
They too cut corners on interior to keep price down, but the difference is they have a respect for the material and for what they are doing. They don't try to make plastic look like leather and wood, thereby turning it into a cheep imitation. If its plastic, it looks uniquely like plastic and is shaped and colored like only plastic can be.
Its a design philosophy that the Big 3 never got. Its whats known in the MTV circuit as "flossing", its flash over substance. Horsepower over engineering.
My opinion.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='554830
Chics know the difference between a Pontiac and a BMW.
I can't believe you just said that

It kinda gives credibility to my previous statement about liking to "own" vs. liking to "drive" a BMW.

So tell us just what IS it about a BMW that chicks can differentiate from a Pontiac besides the amount of disposable income it takes to own one???

Quick Reply: Pontiac G8 better than BMW E60