E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Knowing what you know now: Would you buy XI(AWD) or I(RWD)
XI (AWD)
26.72%
I (RWD)
73.28%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: If you were buying now: Buy XI(AWD) or I(RWD) 5 Series?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Members

Location: Central California. Plenty of sunshine. Hot in Summer, but NO humidity. :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: In the process of buying the right 2006 530i

Originally Posted by CENTRAL CALI' post='213663' date='Dec 20 2005, 11:33 AM
BMWDoug,

Can you update your profile so we know were your from? This would help us since you are posting some many questions.

Thank you
Absolutely! I really enjoy this forum. I was waiting until I have finalized my FIRST BMW purchase! Wooo Hoooo! But, I will update it now with location information. I have always wanted a BMW since my college days. Now, I can finally buy one! I am in Central California, Fresno to be exact. Fresno is not as bad as people make it out to be.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

I would definitely prefer 4WD. Had two 4WD cars to date, and the ability to put power down in all weathers is awesome. Combined with a manual, the ability to get out into tiny gaps in the traffic is also incredible - can't do this with current 530d (esp on runflats which are too hard in cold weather).
Winter tyres not a great option in very changeable temparate UK. One day only three cars got out of our road - all of us Quattros (if I can use that word here!)

Unfortunately no X option in the UK at present
Old 12-20-2005, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by new-kid' post='213717' date='Dec 20 2005, 04:56 PM
I would definitely prefer 4WD. Had two 4WD cars to date, and the ability to put power down in all weathers is awesome. Combined with a manual, the ability to get out into tiny gaps in the traffic is also incredible - can't do this with current 530d (esp on runflats which are too hard in cold weather).
Winter tyres not a great option in very changeable temparate UK. One day only three cars got out of our road - all of us Quattros (if I can use that word here!)

Unfortunately no X option in the UK at present

I've had AWD cars before too - and I've driven several high performance AWD cars. I had the choice and opted for my non-Xi. Don't regret it at all. It is my first BMW, and I wanted to get "the experience". It has snowed a few days already in DC, my car hasn't moved - I don't want it out in that mess anyway.

Currently in Puerto Rico soaking up the sun... Jealous?

Snapped off these shots yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails Poll: If you were buying now: Buy XI(AWD) or I(RWD) 5 Series?-dsc_0052.jpg   Poll: If you were buying now: Buy XI(AWD) or I(RWD) 5 Series?-dsc_0071_filtered.jpg   Poll: If you were buying now: Buy XI(AWD) or I(RWD) 5 Series?-dsc_0076.jpg  
Old 12-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

Lucky dog................those are some great photos
Old 12-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by CENTRAL CALI' post='213729' date='Dec 20 2005, 05:50 PM
Lucky dog................those are some great photos

Thx.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -SOLD- 530i Alpine White. Sport package, comfort seat package, premium sound package, power rear shade, premium package, rear red reflectors, and adaptive headlights with xenon’s

Originally Posted by BMWDoug' post='213702
BMWDoug,

Can you update your profile so we know were your from? This would help us since you are posting some many questions.

Thank you
Absolutely! I really enjoy this forum. I was waiting until I have finalized my FIRST BMW purchase! Wooo Hoooo! But, I will update it now with location information. I have always wanted a BMW since my college days. Now, I can finally buy one! I am in Central California, Fresno to be exact. Fresno is not as bad as people make it out to be.
[/quote]

Cool.........we are about 50 miles apart......I'm located in Visalia. I figured you knew that by coming across the ad I have on cars.com with all the research you been doing.

Central Cali
Old 12-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Members

Location: Central California. Plenty of sunshine. Hot in Summer, but NO humidity. :)
My Ride: In the process of buying the right 2006 530i

Central Cali
Glad to know you. I grew up in Lemoore, so I know Visalia well. This part of California is pretty cool, because we are two hours and some change away from everything the State has to offer.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Contributors

I am in NY and we get a lot of snow..but I still go with the I. I still question the Xi. Dont ask me why.

The only cars i trust with AWD are the Audi and (yes the subaru) but that is me..
Old 12-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

Having both an AWD in my 03 3 series and the RWD in my 05 5 series I find both appropiate for their respective purposes. In the New York winters with snow I use my wife's AWD 3. When its not snowing I use my RWD 5. To tell the truth I love driving both cars. The 325xi AWD is not as soft a ride as my 525i. In any case they are both great to drive. I guess its just a user's pick.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're in CA, no need for AWD unless you're in Lake Tahoe.

Quick Reply: Poll: If you were buying now: Buy XI(AWD) or I(RWD) 5 Series?