E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i 6 speed 92 535i 5 speed 88 325i auto

This morning I got active steering malefaction msg and I thought it's my coz o my alternator whitch it bad , after driving I noteced my turn signal won't turn off automatically after coming out of a turn. I checked also steering FluId and it was kinda low so is it related to it . Should I get the fluid from dealer Or I can find it at any auto parts store
Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Contributors

fluid has to come from a dealer. I forget the type of fluid it takes, but autoparts stores wont carry it.. I tried.

That said, your steering fluid should have no bearing on whether or not your turn signal goes off or not, The shut-off of the turn signal is triggered by the steering column, in older cars it was mechanical, with the newer BMWs it is likely electronic, which would explain the problem. BMWs are electrical nightmares. If Germany could produce cars that has electrical engineering like their mechanical engineering, they would be incredible automobiles.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

The fluid level wouldn't have anything to do with the signal not cancelling. Active steering malfunction and the loss of turn signal cancellation would point me to the SZL unit (steering column switch/module), and more probably to the steering angle sensor in the unit. When my SZL malfunctioned while diagnosing the SAT/paddle-shifter retrofit on my car, I had numerous faults related to limited traction control (I dont have active steering), but also lost the auto-cancel for the turn signals...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I may be off base here but you said your alternator is bad... I had one go in another make and model and everything electronic went haywire... from the dash lights on down... dont you think starting with a new alternator will take care of some of your issue?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I may be off base here but you said your alternator is bad... I had one go in another make and model and everything electronic went haywire... from the dash lights on down... dont you think starting with a new alternator will take care of some of your issue?
I had that going on with mine. The service engine light/increased emissions warning came on. Changed out the alternator, it's good to go now.