E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pissed!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to wal-mart and bought a $10 2.5mm cable and use the aux jack in the car between the rear vents. Switch the radio to aux and away I go.

No I don't see my playlist in the nav screen, but that is of little concern to me as I just use the iPod to scroll my playlist.

I find that I actually use the sat more than my ipod, now having access to both.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

If the Aux came in my car, I would be all set, I would probably do the same, but it didn't and I would have to have it installed, but can't becuase of the programing issue I stated above.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Members

hmmm... do learn something each day.

Thought all e60 post 2004 had the aux input in the rear of the console. Searched and it appears 6/06 production and later have it.

Good luck
Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 AM
Senior Members

Replace your username by removing the M and adding the B . Try using the NCS method.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by MitchBMW
Wow.. I'm at a loss here. Not sure what to do. As bad as I want to be able to listen to my Ipod in my car.... I'm not feeling spending over a Grand ($800 for the part) and ($$) to install) to get my Instrument Cluster replaced, especially when there doesn't seemed to be any visual problem with the one I have. Then to have to spend the money to get the car coded for the AUX.... man...

I'm wondering if I should just get a Dension unit and just have that installed. I have a CD Changer.. not able to play MP3 in the single in-dash, but I heard that the Dension would still work, just without text. If someone could confirm or deny, that would be great. I know, I know.. there are many threads out there about this.. but they all seem to say something a little different.

Thanks
I was told for my 2004 545i that the Dension would NOT work due to the fiber optics... I think yours is the same but cant confirm this.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by evets
I went to wal-mart and bought a $10 2.5mm cable and use the aux jack in the car between the rear vents. Switch the radio to aux and away I go.

No I don't see my playlist in the nav screen, but that is of little concern to me as I just use the iPod to scroll my playlist.

I find that I actually use the sat more than my ipod, now having access to both.
That's because you had AUX already coded on your vehicle and have AUX input in the rear. OP does not. He is trying to code AUX.

OP- Find out what program they are using to do the coding? Are they using SSS Progman (software service station)? If so, what version. The problem is that they may have to clear all errors prior to going into the "Retrofit path" however, if the tech knows what he's doing he can bypass this. If worse comes to worse, you can always ask them to pull a part from their stock and put it in to bypass the error and then replace it when finished. I doubt your instrument cluster has a serious issue that calls for replacement if it's working now, but welcome to the BMW world of BS. These cars are too sophisticated for their own good....thus driving customers toward other manufacturers.

Are you enabling MP3 and AUX or do you already read MP3's?

NCSExpert can be done but this could be a problem too when creating the backup file. Personally I'd probably go with the denison unit if you already have the cd changer.

I feel your pain, I went through all of this long ago. PM me, tell me exactly what you are doing and give me a history so I may be able to help.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
That's because you had AUX already coded on your vehicle and have AUX input in the rear. OP does not. He is trying to code AUX.

OP- Find out what program they are using to do the coding? Are they using SSS Progman (software service station)? If so, what version. The problem is that they may have to clear all errors prior to going into the "Retrofit path" however, if the tech knows what he's doing he can bypass this. If worse comes to worse, you can always ask them to pull a part from their stock and put it in to bypass the error and then replace it when finished. I doubt your instrument cluster has a serious issue that calls for replacement if it's working now, but welcome to the BMW world of BS. These cars are too sophisticated for their own good....thus driving customers toward other manufacturers.

Are you enabling MP3 and AUX or do you already read MP3's?

NCSExpert can be done but this could be a problem too when creating the backup file. Personally I'd probably go with the denison unit if you already have the cd changer.

I feel your pain, I went through all of this long ago. PM me, tell me exactly what you are doing and give me a history so I may be able to help.
I dont think any of this will matter... BMW put a "PUMA" out when they did mine and were told that it would hold any coding without first fixing the faulty rain sensor... I dont think the car will hold a programming change until the instrument cluster is replaced. Of course this is just based on my past experience and no real BMW tech experience myself...
Old 02-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I dont think any of this will matter... BMW put a "PUMA" out when they did mine and were told that it would hold any coding without first fixing the faulty rain sensor... I dont think the car will hold a programming change until the instrument cluster is replaced. Of course this is just based on my past experience and no real BMW tech experience myself...
I've had these issues too with doing a CCC retrofit and used an X5 professional LCD.....you can get around all this with AutoLogic. If you were to use NCS Expert I am sure you can get around this. The dealer was probably doing the programming in SSS in which you MAY be able to get around it if you were a pro at SSS. He may have a software issue on the cluster that needs to be remedied first before going forward at that dealership....given that his cluster is already working as it is.