E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pissed!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

Yesterday I went to get my Aux installed by a BMW tech after they were closed and after sitting there for an hour and a half, the guy came out and told me that he couldn't do it because he got an error when trying to program the car. The error was that I had a bad Instrument Cluster Module, and the programing wouldn't continue. He said that a replacement cluster would be around $800 just for the part. So that means any programming that I will need in the future for my car can't get done until I replace the Instrument Cluster Module. Has anyone else ever run into this? Or had to replace yours? Just curious. So I'm stuck with my CD Changer, and in-dash cd for now. Any suggestions?

Also, my Instrument Cluster seems to be fine. There are no signs that it's bad visually. Everything shows up and works just fine.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:08 AM
Contributors

sorry to hear about your problems getting the car programmed.

If a member with NCS is nearby you can get AUX coded without the need for a full dealer update....

Also if your instrument panel is working get your car read by an indi to see if any faults relate to it... I think using the hidden ODB menu you can do an instrument test.... Could be the dealer just trying to fob you off so worth checking before shelling out for a new / used one.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jay77
sorry to hear about your problems getting the car programmed.

If a member with NCS is nearby you can get AUX coded without the need for a full dealer update....

Also if your instrument panel is working get your car read by an indi to see if any faults relate to it... I think using the hidden ODB menu you can do an instrument test.... Could be the dealer just trying to fob you off so worth checking before shelling out for a new / used one.
Thanks Jay,

What is a NCS?? And I have no reason to think the guy was trying to BS me because we were doing this on the side and he was going to get paid on the side. But thanks. Once I find out what a NCS is, I'll look around.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:23 AM
Contributors

Sorry, NCS Expert is a coding tool, that can be used to enable options. Ok if your certain its faulty, I think you can swap it out for an M5 one have a search a few members have already done it...
Old 02-13-2011, 08:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

go down to john at www.motorcepts.com

your best bet..
Old 02-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stel_i79
go down to john at www.motorcepts.com

your best bet..
And what will they do???

I'm in CT, not NY. But if the price is right, I'll gladly take the trip.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

When I had my AUX installed I had a faulty rain sensor and because of that the program wouldn't take... BMW said that because it was necessary for the AUX install to work they covered it free of charge... I have an '04 545i with no warranty.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

Jay,

what dealer did you go to?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by MitchBMW
Jay,

what dealer did you go to?
BMW North Haven.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:29 AM
Senior Members

Wow.. I'm at a loss here. Not sure what to do. As bad as I want to be able to listen to my Ipod in my car.... I'm not feeling spending over a Grand ($800 for the part) and ($$$) to install) to get my Instrument Cluster replaced, especially when there doesn't seemed to be any visual problem with the one I have. Then to have to spend the money to get the car coded for the AUX.... man...

I'm wondering if I should just get a Dension unit and just have that installed. I have a CD Changer.. not able to play MP3 in the single in-dash, but I heard that the Dension would still work, just without text. If someone could confirm or deny, that would be great. I know, I know.. there are many threads out there about this.. but they all seem to say something a little different.

Thanks