E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Pics of my 530i

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Sep 7 2004, 11:07 PM
This is an expensive option. Over here it is 1857 euros :'( :'( I didn't even consider this option due to the price.. It says the glass is "layered" too. Does this mean it doesn't break like the front windshield (if it brakes it will always stay together bye a plastic layer between the glass).
If you want "unbreakable" windows you have to chose another option, "protective glass".
The sun protection glass is breakable.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

But the dutch brochure says "gelaagd" wich means it has a plastic layer on the glass that should prevent it falling apart when it breaks.. Just like a front windshield. That also is breakable but will not fall apart due to the plastic layer..
Old 09-07-2004, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

All I can tell you is, that the protective glass is as double as thick. An option that costs 1600,- Euro in Germany.
The sun protection glass is not double as thick as regular windows...
Old 09-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

Mmmh the mystery continues.. I'll see if I can find some more info on the layer thing.. I think this could be interesting for certain prospective buyers.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Members

530E60NL

you are perfectly riight with your description
have a look at http://www.solutia-autoglass.com/pages/default.asp

and btw this trade was chosen by BMW and also the HUD

Andre (still waiting my 525d)
Old 09-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator

You want some mystery?:

When the E60 was introduced July 5th, 2003, the protective glass got pushed back 'til November... Then got pushed back 'til March, got pushed back 'til September, now to October...
I've llready paid for it and I am still waiting for them to install it...

The problem was, that the quality was not good enough, so they got rid of the supplier and made a contract with a new one...

This is getting frustrating...
Old 09-07-2004, 01:25 PM
Contributors

So the protective glass is retrofittable??? What does it do for you in safety terms??
Old 09-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Sun Protection Glass has the same thickness as normal glass apart from its just tinted in the rear window and rear door windows. It costs ?270 in the UK.

Climate Comfort Laminated Glass which includes Infra-red reflective laminate costs ?710.

Protective Glazing which includes the Climate Comfort Laminated Glass costs ?1080.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AAVAND9' date='Sep 7 2004, 11:23 PM
you are perfectly riight with your description
Well, the sun protection glass is protecting you from sun. The protective glass is the security gass, as far as I understand it!
Old 09-07-2004, 01:28 PM
Contributors

What I meant is does it help against bullets and stuff... Not that I am affraid to get shot but I find this an interesting topic.

Quick Reply: Pics of my 530i