E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Picking up a 550

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:04 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a small down payment on a '08 550 at a BMW dealer about 100 miles away. The car is CPO'ed (and thankfully brand new tires). I currently have an e39 540 (Dinan) and can do most of the maintenance on that vehicle so I'm pretty savvy. What should I look for when I'm inspecting this 550? AKA Common issues. It is a stick, so is there anything I can inspect specifically to know if the clutch is still "good"

Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 06:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by bmwdinan5
I put a small down payment on a '08 550 at a BMW dealer about 100 miles away. The car is CPO'ed (and thankfully brand new tires). I currently have an e39 540 (Dinan) and can do most of the maintenance on that vehicle so I'm pretty savvy. What should I look for when I'm inspecting this 550? AKA Common issues. It is a stick, so is there anything I can inspect specifically to know if the clutch is still "good"

Thanks

Nice, congrats on your new purchase!!! Only my opinion here, but from a mechanical stand point there's not much to inspect since its CPO'd. Personally, I would only worry bout the fit and finish on the interior and exterior. If something is wrong mechanically, it will show its ugly head soon, then just take it in for your warranty service. Drive worry free cause BMW will take care of you for at least the next few years!!!

Let the modding begin!!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Aside from the occasional computer glitch, as expected on any newer vehicle, this one is really pretty trouble free. Congrats and enjoy the drive!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Regarding manual transmission operation.

Clutch pedal operation should be fluid with no sloppiness.

At highway speed, shift and accelerate firmly. When the clutch is fully engaged, there should be no engine rev slipping when the throttle is fully depressed. If there is, the clutch is likely worn below minimum thickness.

In a safe, open and level area. Stop the vehicle and put transmission in neutral. After verifying that vehicle is not rolling on its own, shift into 1st and slowly release clutch. It should start engaging and vehicle begin rolling at about the clutch release halfway point. If the engagement point is higher in the clutch pedal release, the clutch may be worn.

When the transmission has been warmed up with normal operation, the gear selector lever should slot into R, and 1 through 6 smoothly and easily.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Members

MOD'ING

That was one of my favorite parts of the e39 540. I already ordered a modified CDV. I've been poking around, but can't find many mods for 550's. Any good sites to use as a launching pad. Also how about oil changes? I use a PEAK tool to reset the oil/inspection lights now. Is there something out there for '08 550's yet?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

MOD'ING

That was one of my favorite parts of the e39 540. I already ordered a modified CDV. I've been poking around, but can't find many mods for 550's. Any good sites to use as a launching pad. Also how about oil changes? I use a PEAK tool to reset the oil/inspection lights now. Is there something out there for '08 550's yet?
Cant be 100% sure since I have an 05 model, but you can reset the Oil and other common service items in the iDrive now, so you wont need a special tool for easy things such as oil reset, etc. Basically you hold down the trip button to get into the service menu on your instrument cluster. Try a search for "Oil Reset" and you'll find plenty of postings.

As for 550 mods, I am sure there's a wealth of info here, I would look around the Parts, DYI, and other sections on this forums, as we are all about modding here!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Thanks
1. Possible body damage/repairs
2. Service history

This is what you check on a used car that is still under "new car" warranty. You did not mention mileage but it should be under 50K if it is CPO.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

I've only experienced creaking doors in the 2 years (50k miles) I've owned mine. It's been a terrific car. I would suggest that you negotiate into the deal the extended maintenance, of course this depends on how much you drive and how you drive.

As for modifications..... I'd tap open the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV), makes driving the manual much more enjoyable and direct. I prefer mechanical to electronic so to this end, the 550 really needs a Limited Slip Differential (my next mod). Other then this, the 550i has plenty of low end torque and is plenty fast (at least for me). Make sure to take it out to the local autocross, it's quit surprising how well the big 5 perform against other smaller bimmers.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Members

Originally Posted by safetywork
I've only experienced creaking doors in the 2 years (50k miles) I've owned mine. It's been a terrific car. I would suggest that you negotiate into the deal the extended maintenance, of course this depends on how much you drive and how you drive.

As for modifications..... I'd tap open the Clutch Delay Valve (CDV), makes driving the manual much more enjoyable and direct. I prefer mechanical to electronic so to this end, the 550 really needs a Limited Slip Differential (my next mod). Other then this, the 550i has plenty of low end torque and is plenty fast (at least for me). Make sure to take it out to the local autocross, it's quit surprising how well the big 5 perform against other smaller bimmers.

What exactly is the CDV? Is it a mod that needs to be purchase or something that we can change ourself?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Pics! Pics! Pics!

Quick Reply: Picking up a 550